I find it incredibly annoying when driving on Thai roads when slow drivers stay in the right lane.

jack71

3 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Better not, unless you are sure the guy has no gun in his car.

So the guy is going to turn around and shoot at you through the back window? 

I hear horns honking here daily, I don't think I've ever heard a gunshot in Thailand.

Here's my take on the matter. The people driving slowly in the right lane always drive slowly. Many of them probably don't even understand the concept of a passing lane. But what they do know, is that their auntie, on a scooter, is very likely to come flying out of a side street  without even a glance and proceed in the left lane. So, in fact it is much safer in the right lane annoying all the fast drivers.

• Like 1

????It happens!  what is your hurry?  Your grave isn't going anywhere if you get the big picture and can see the slow driver ahead what is the point of staying in that same lane needing to flash you lights acting like another Thai idiot, you see it coming signal go around end of story enjoy your day. 

Edited by thailand49

Sure - a campaign by Farangs teaching Thais how to drive will be super popular with Thais. 

I notice that about half the time there is an obnoxious unsafe driver weaving in and out of traffic or tailgating because they think they own the road - it's a farang. That's a much higher rate considering the population of Thais vs  Farangs. 

Chill out - Jai Yen Yen, be polite, and stay off my ass ;-)

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 11:57 AM, shy coconut said:

Have you tried tooting your horn?

Believe it or not. According to the Land Traffic Act, it is against the law in Thailand to honk your horn at someone simply because they are going too slow!

On 3/8/2021 at 1:02 PM, jvs said:

No law makes sense over here,nobody cares about the laws because they are not enforced.

Also changing lanes in a traffic jam , everybody going left and right even if they cannot and just block traffic because they stand still while doing it . Everybody just stay in their lane and the traffic jam will be less because traffic will move . Don't know if i explianed it right but i think people know what i am talking about . And people overtaking another car driving just 1 km/h faster then the other ???? . ???? bad for the bloodpressure driving everyday in Thailand , specialy in bkk . I thought smoking was bad for.my bloodpressure but this is even worse i think . 

I am a little irritated by the goings on with Thai drivers but do not allow myself to lose patience. It is the animal that it is!

Anger, flashing lights and hooting is not my scene - I just get on with my driving and in a few moments I am free of my minor irritation.

It is the driver behind that is the problem!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 5:10 PM, KarenBravo said:

Tifino is correct.

Section 45 (400-1000B)
[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

The confusion here is whether a. and b. are linked by an 'and' or an 'or'. Whilst it is not clear (and therefore very confusing) when looked at in isolation, if you look at other laws (e.g. Section 46) it becomes obvious that it is an either/or situation, making overtaking on the left legal on roads with two or more lanes in each direction.

I pesonally think it is safer to allow this; in countries such as the UK, where overtaking on the left is not permitted, drivers become complacent and do not check the inside lane when returning to it, meaning that if someone is (illegally) overtaking they may well not be aware of them. In Thailand it becomes force of habit to check both ways.

• Like 1

Does anyone happen to know if there is a law that states that pick-ups and trucks carrying a high load covered with blue-and-white striped tarpaulin are only allowed to travel in the outside lane?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

Does anyone happen to know if there is a law that states that pick-ups and trucks carrying a high load covered with blue-and-white striped tarpaulin are only allowed to travel in the outside lane?

No law....more a code of practice.

• Haha 1

There is an article in today's BP that says a law has just been published in the Royal Gazette that now states that anyone using the right hand lane must drive at a minimum of 100 kph & no more than 120 kph. That should help IF enforced ????

• Like 1

Anyone who  allows the behavior of  other road users to  anger them is very likely to be the cause of the subsequent  accident! Tailgating a slower driver whilst flashing lights is  almost  certain  to cause anxiety be that anger or fright and an angry driver should  not be on the road. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stupooey said:

The confusion here is whether a. and b. are linked by an 'and' or an 'or'. Whilst it is not clear (and therefore very confusing) when looked at in isolation, if you look at other laws (e.g. Section 46) it becomes obvious that it is an either/or situation, making overtaking on the left legal on roads with two or more lanes in each direction.

I pesonally think it is safer to allow this; in countries such as the UK, where overtaking on the left is not permitted, drivers become complacent and do not check the inside lane when returning to it, meaning that if someone is (illegally) overtaking they may well not be aware of them. In Thailand it becomes force of habit to check both ways.

It seems clear to me, but i only read the black parts.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:51 AM, jack71 said:

Nearly everyday I find I'm in the right lane of a 2 or 3 lane busy road and I'm stuck behind a brain dead driver going really slow. I usually proceed to flash high beam and mostly they

move over but sometimes they do not. 

A typical situation occurs when a car is driving slow in a right lane because they are going to turn right or do a U turn further up the road- Even though it might be 1 to 2 km away....

I recently renewed my DL again for 5 yrs. I noticed they had the same video as before. Its presented by a slightly overweight/ chubby thai guy with a funny smiling face. Presumably he is acting out the road rules. They clearly need to update that video as I cant believe its the same one as 5 yrs ago. It looks like it was shot 20 yrs ago. 

I think its time that we all teach the Thai drivers to drive slow in the left lane only. Please take a stand and flash your high beam at any slow drivers in the right hand lane. 

cheers

Jack

That's Not a problem ,Just indicate Left and then Undertake/overtake on the Left lane .

Legal or not everyone does it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mr_lob said:

Welcome to the land of me, myself and I. Worst drivers in the World IMO.

Won't change any time ever.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride

I would love to know how many countries you have visited and driven in. I have driven in a few where they are far worse than here. By and large I find driving here quite a pleasure, especially after coming from Egypt!

I do indeed 'buckle up and enjoy the ride'. ????

• Like 2

On 3/8/2021 at 5:10 PM, KarenBravo said:

Tifino is correct.

Section 45 (400-1000B)
[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

Does this b) mean that you CAN over (under) take on a two lane road?

24 minutes ago, digger70 said:

That's Not a problem ,Just indicate Left and then Undertake/overtake on the Left lane .

Legal or not everyone does it.

And try not to rear-end  that truck that's just pulled out regardless.

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

There is an article in today's BP that says a law has just been published in the Royal Gazette that now states that anyone using the right hand lane must drive at a minimum of 100 kph & no more than 120 kph. That should help IF enforced ????

IF