I find it incredibly annoying when driving on Thai roads when slow drivers stay in the right lane.

jack71

The real annoyance is when the guy in the outside lane is going the same slow speed as the inside lane....meaning no-one can overtake, and your wing mirrors are full with people weaving up your ar&e looking for an opening (no innuendo intended) that isn't there.

49 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I would love to know how many countries you have visited and driven in. I have driven in a few where they are far worse than here. By and large I find driving here quite a pleasure, especially after coming from Egypt!

I do indeed 'buckle up and enjoy the ride'. ????

Sri Lanka was pretty bad but not a patch on Thailand. I haven't been to North Africa yet, but heard its bad...

i suppose which part of Thailand you live in also matters...for example i find drivers in Phuket much more considerate than in Krabi. 

i lost my best mate in a road accident here, so i don't have much love for the drivers or those who are supposed to enforce the laws to keep us safe

Really  ?   of all the things you could have complained about you complain about someone who is driving SLOW ?    pick another problem dude their are plenty of them ....  running red lights , no light on vehicles or bikes  idiots that want to fly down the road and aggressively flash lights , tailgate and try to push you over with intimidation .. .. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, mr_lob said:

Sri Lanka was pretty bad but not a patch on Thailand. I haven't been to North Africa yet, but heard its bad...

i suppose which part of Thailand you live in also matters...for example i find drivers in Phuket much more considerate than in Krabi. 

i lost my best mate in a road accident here, so i don't have much love for the drivers or those who are supposed to enforce the laws to keep us safe

Yes Sri Lanka is pretty bad, but there at least there aren't the fast highways which add speed to the factor. (at least they didn't when I was last there) India is an absolute nightmare. Drive there for just one week and you'll come back thinking the roads here are a haven of tranquility.

I agree with you about location. It does make quite a difference. I while away my time in peaceful NE Issan where the roads are fairly quiet. I drove down to Korat 2 years ago to a wedding and it just got worse and worse the further south we went.

I think one of the saving graces of driving here is that they do not use the horn, which is one less factor that irritates other motorists. I can live with most of their foibles as long as they don't blast away on the horn as the do in so many other countries.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 6:54 AM, EricTh said:

I see many bicyclists who think they own the road by cycling slowly and blocking  traffic coming from behind in narrow roads.

If a road is too narrow to be overtaken safely it makes sense for a bicylist to drive in the middle of it to prevent risking his life by cars squeezing by.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/8/2021 at 11:57 AM, shy coconut said:

Have you tried tooting your horn?

As most of us already know, this will often bring a response but could be much more than you want. 

I'll advised step. 

As for teaching Thai folks how to drive, count me out. 

Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig. 

13 minutes ago, Old Nomad said:

If a road is too narrow to be overtaken safely it makes sense for a bicylist to drive in the middle of it to prevent risking his life by cars squeezing by.

It never makes sense to ride a bike on the same road with cars in the Kingdom IMO. 

People do it, but I certainly won't. It's tantamount to suicide as far as I'm concerned. 

Is that all? Try driving in dark hours, then you ll have way more fun.

Once had torn down pickup truck with no lights on at all, overloaded with harvest. Just saw a slight contour on right lane on a not lighted road,, didnt trust it and went to left side. Good i did, as it was what i said before.

I was doing about 100 and the pick up way lower. You must be very pro active in Thailand and you can have all kinds of nasty experiences. As Thai drive by no rules, just going a to b in which ever way they can.

Also be aware in bends , as Thai take bends straight, they start on left lane and then in curve without showing change to right lane to cut the curve. They might see you in left lane, but on the other hand they dont.

Never think they are driving by rules, as there arent for Thai. 

Thats why an average of 40 people die in traffic every day in Thailand.

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

Most people who say that are not cyclists.

Hit a couple in CNX - or rather they hit me

No road sense at all. Weave all over the road, don't stop at signs or lights, Privileged bozos I have found. I am saving the planet so I can do what I want - Snowflake Idiots.

Both screamed Blue Murder after they ran into me. Both were told to beat it by the police when they arrived.

I laughed and drove off. Got the scratches buffed out - good to go.

Their bikes - buff not enuf 555

8 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Hit a couple in CNX - or rather they hit me

No road sense at all. Weave all over the road, don't stop at signs or lights, Privileged bozos I have found. I am saving the planet so I can do what I want - Snowflake Idiots.

Both screamed Blue Murder after they ran into me. Both were told to beat it by the police when they arrived.

I laughed and drove off. Got the scratches buffed out - good to go.

Their bikes - buff not enuf 555

Of course there are bad cyclists, I don't defend them.  But your original comment suggests that it is the cyclists who are in peril! Or do you mean, if you meet them you will mow them down?

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Of course there are bad cyclists, I don't defend them.  But your original comment suggests that it is the cyclists who are in peril! Or do you mean, if you meet them you will mow them down?

Of course they are in peril. Inadequate brakes, no acceleration means no way to avoid a sticky situation.

They are surrounded by 2 ton cars, 3 ton plus trucks, and 100 plus kg motorcycles - with no way to avoid any of them, in an environment not made for them

Plus they do not obey the traffic laws.

I would say peril Mak Mak

I will mow them down ? Where did i Infer that ? I realize what idiots they are to be on the road in the first place.

Edited by canthai55

13 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Of course they are in peril. Inadequate brakes, no acceleration means no way to avoid a sticky situation.

They are surrounded by 2 ton cars, 3 ton plus trucks, and 100 plus kg motorcycles - with no way to avoid any of them, in an environment not made for them

Plus they do not obey the traffic laws.

I would say peril Mak Mak

I will mow them down ? Where did i Infer that ? I realize what idiots they are to be on the road in the first place.

As I said before, obviously not a cyclist. And you cannot include me in your assessment of cyclists in general.

In another thread, I have stated (because it is true) that I have been a regular cyclist in various parts of Thailand for the last 13 years for around ten hours a week for a total of about 70,000 kms and never been involved in any kind of incident.

You didn't infer the peril scenario, neither did I. You didn't make it clear that cyclists are a peril unto themselves or from other road users. I therefore offered you the alternatives!

Prejudice is not a virtue.

Just undertake like 99.9% of the rest of the people. It's quicker than sitting behind a slow person getting agitated. 

If the OP gets annoyed in Thailand I suggest he doesn't drive in the Middle East Or North Africa any time soon. ????????????

Thailand comes out okay in comparison. 

I feel your pain and sympathize with you, but I wouldn't flash my lights too much or "toot my horn" too much either. Too many incidences of road rage over here with the fragile Thai male egos involved.....usually doesn't end well, especially if you're a farang.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 12:37 PM, tifino said:

well that is the whole point...   there is nothing wrong with moving to another lane and resuming your journey! 

- there are many who are scared of travelling faster than another vehicle that is in the lane to their Right (they seem to want to call that 'undertaking' ???? 

(LOS, just like Australia and many other countries) ; are Not like the US, UK and Europe that have that weird No  Undertaking Law ) 

Passing a car on the inside lane is illegal and dangerous in all the countries I have driven in.

7 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

A lane to the left of the car in front............. for nations that drive on the correct side of the road.

I assume he's talking about passing on the shoulder, but would that not be the outside lane?

I think you pass in the lane closest to the center of the road if more than one lane each direction, or in the lane of opposing traffic if only one lane in each direction regardless of what county you're in. 

39 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I assume he's talking about passing on the shoulder, but would that not be the outside lane?

I think you pass in the lane closest to the center of the road if more than one lane each direction, or in the lane of opposing traffic if only one lane in each direction regardless of what county you're in. 

He is, I think, talking about undertaking......as opposed to overtaking...regardless of how many lanes or which side you drive on.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Inside lane?

Yes. The inside lane. Standard terminology to describe  the lane or subdivision of a road in any given country that lies between the vehicle and pavement or in other words the lane or section of a road that is not on the designated overtaking side of the road. I presume your experience of international English language  usage is limited and that you have not driven in a wide variety of countries. I hope my information has been of help to you in expanding your vocabulary and helping you drive more safely. Not drive safe. LOL

• Haha 1