Molasses

Back home we like to use Molasses in our dishes instead of white sugar.   I looked for Grandma's or Brer Rabbit brand here, and it is Really expensive.    I noticed on Lazada,  there are lots of molasseses for gardening nd soil augmentation,  but i am thinking they are not unsulfured and probably not food grade.

Anybody know of a good food grade molasses that is maybe a thai brand?    You'd think that with all of the sugar cane here,   they'd have one..

Thanks

Sorry I can't help you with your search for molasses here, however it did remind me that I used to like the "black treacle" that we had in the UK when I was a boy, and I think that's probably the U.K.'s equivalent of it.

Good luck in your search......

STOP PRESS: I do believe iHerb sell an unsulphured molasses, and the good thing about iHerb is that if you get it shipped by normal airmail, it only takes about 2 weeks to get here.

Never noticed it in the sugar section of any store, so probably just as import.

I guess you want this because regular white sugar tastes too boring? I suggest giving coconut sugar (น้ำตาลมะพร้าว) a try, it's tasty, cheap and easy to find.

I found Mitr Pohl golden syrup on Lazada, it's much less expensive than Tate & Lyle so I thought I'd try some and it seems perfectly ok even though it's a bit more runny than the aforementioned T&L. Might be worth a try.

Edited by Blue Muton
  • Thanks 1

Doubt if there is a nonsulfered thai product. Although thailand has alot of sugar cane, they usually burn the fields before harvest. i once went looking for eddible molasses and the looks on faces and the comments about it being for animal food made me give up. Now I just bring some with me from farangland. I also learned not to tell people it is in the food I made before they try it or they will be afraid to try it.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:37 AM, Tim207 said:

i once went looking for eddible molasses and the looks on faces and the comments about it being for animal food made me give up

The Thai attitude to molasses is indicated by the language (or vice versa).

In Thai molasses is /kàakˑnámˑtaan//kàak/ meaning rubbish/dregs/trash/refuse/residue.  (/námˑtaan/, of course, is sugar.)

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually, if you buy genuine "namtaan oi"."น้ำตาลทอ้อย"  what you'll get is crystallized unrefined sugar. Which is what brands like Grandma and Brer Rabbit basically are with just a little woter added. It costs me 45 baht per kilo. I get it at grocery stores or stalls at located the local markets. Just add about 15% by weight of water to the stuff and stir it and you've got a product indistinguishable from the kind of molasses you're looking for. Of course, if you're just using it to add to your coffee, you don't need to liquify it at all. But be sure to get the genuine unrefined namtaan oi. It should be a very very dark brown.