Chiang Mai ranked as world’s most polluted city

webfact

Chiang Mai ranked as world’s most polluted city

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTY3MC84MzU0NDY2L3BtMi41LmpwZw==.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Chiang Mai on Sunday had the unenviable crown of the world’s most polluted city, according to the real-time air quality information platform, IQ Air.

According to Sanook, the PM2.5 reading in the province skyrocketed on Sunday afternoon to dangerous levels. 

In Chang Phueak subdistrict, the area which was found to have the highest reading, PM2.5 levels reached 111 micrograms per cubic meter.

Thailand officially says that anything above 50 micrograms per cubic meter is considered unsafe.

It was a similar story in Sriphum, Suthep and Mae Chaem districts where PM2.5 levels ranged between 90 and 107 micrograms per cubic meter.

However, Channel 7 reported later that PM.25 levels in Hang Dong district measured up to 250 micrograms per cubic meter

Channel 7 said the terrible air quality was the result of the city being shrouded in haze from forest fires. 

It said the poor air quality affected people’s health, leaving them with eye irritations, nosebleeds and a shortness of breath.

It said there up to 104 forest fires burning in the area which resulted in causing the poor air quality. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-08

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tifino said:

CM just happens to be the recipient of 'others' pollution;

sitting in their little atmospheric cul de sac amongst the mountains... 

The only actual pollution there is whats floating dumped into the Old City Moat... 

And of course all the rice fields who burn their crops and the forest fires that surround the city moat. Indeed sansai was seen as higher than the moat area in aqi app!  Hmm !

2 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

Only 250?  We should be so lucky

Values of 1xx in the article are child's play.

Current record values of more than 400(!) in the upper north.

Looks like only India can compete.

2 hours ago, Mywayboy said:

Always irresponsibly burning off this time of year.

Not only this time of the year, as soon as the air starts to clear and I think I am going to be able to breath fresh air once again, the villages start racking up the leaves and burning them, must be to keep the evil spirits away.

My wife and her son cannot smell smoke when people start to burn day or night, I am the one running around closing the windows/doors with them looking at me with that dumb look on their faces, mouth wide open and ask, smoke, DER, its in the house !!!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai on Sunday had the unenviable crown of the world’s most polluted city, according to the real-time air quality information platform, IQ Air.

The governor must be proud of his province ..... any other country this would have been sorted out.

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

And the 'Governor' and other so called 'Important People' are doing what ?

Can I have a guess?

Are they enjoying a nice 3 month 'fact-finding' tour of some nice beach resorts?

I think we are being too harsh on the Governor, and we should laud the stringent measures he is taking. For example this morning at 9am when I was driving along the inner ring road I was so relieved to see a huge red tanker spraying smoke or maybe a water mist & belched diesel fumes at least 2 metres into the air as it sped towards the Government Centre. My heart swelled with pride and I cast aside my mask, safe in the knowledge that our dear Governor is sparing no effort to save us from other people's pollution.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

Mae Hong Son today!

bad.jpg.5f22a06ac55d71358424d65349927202.jpg 

Multinational agro cartels desire to maximize cheap rice production has no limits. It's the usual suspects that are responsible but never held accountable. No limit to their greed. ???? 

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Prayuth , the great leader , will be along in a minute :

" I want this sorted out in a week "

Yawn.

Come on......

The North is a "Red" stronghold - and he is occupied with the Covid in Bangkok - gonna be a mai pen rai

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

as soon as the air starts to clear and I think I am going to be able to breath fresh air once again, the villages start racking up the leaves and burning them,

They have to be wet leaves right. Dry leaves don't make enough smoke. Tonight's sunset, suck it up folks...

DSC_0143.thumb.JPG.aad0d627efe01cfe91a77c9f41b53bb3.JPG

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

8 hours ago, tifino said:

CM just happens to be the recipient of 'others' pollution;

sitting in their little atmospheric cul de sac amongst the mountains... 

The only actual pollution there is whats floating dumped into the Old City Moat... 

So the satellite documentation of hot spots within Thailand???

It would appear that CM is in an area of depression which among other things effect air movement.

Looking at the larger picture it would all appear to be coming from the west not from anywhere within Thailand. 

Edited by VocalNeal