Samui Power Cuts

2021 and they still cannot provide a reliable electricity supply to one of their biggest tourist earners. Still off after 8 hours.

Why not install a back up cable? Or at least increase generating capacity on the islands.

imagine what it would be like if this was a real high season with all the supply demands that comes with it.

I know. Let’s buy a submarine instead!

One of the cables in the sea got damaged and we run on 50% capacity now. According to the letter every area will have one hour of power following with 3 hours of power outage. I've had power most of the day but that's the official statement at least.

157378497_10159590616817189_1212728658688308683_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like power is back now.
Maenam had power cut from about 1 pm. I drove to "Lotus's" in Bo Phout, and along the Ring Road many seemed to be without power, and the shopping mall also, where some shops had closed, whilst others like HomePro, were running on reduced power (probably from emergency generators). The power came back about 3 pm, and when I was back in Maenam 3:30 also power there, and still is at almost 6 pm.
I was told that Chaweng Noi also had power cut "the whole day".

157599613_270113707980273_43897721421079

The power went off in Maenam at 6 pm and came back shortly after 7 pm. Maenam is group 3, and as we also had a power cut around 1:30 pm with power back about 3 pm, it seems like the table is for power cuts, and not when power is on; i.e. 3 hours of power and one hour of power cut. The table says Group 3 from 14:00 to 15:00, from 18:00 to 19:00

Next scheduled power cut for Group s is 22:00 till 23:00.

According to Samui Info by Nica...
Koh Samui's Power failure caused by an anchor of a marine ship which cut the power line under the sea (115 KV) between Koh Samui & Khanom (Nakorn Sir Thammarat). This may take days to completely fix the cable

564000002309301.JPEG&cfs=1&ext=jpg&_nc_e

564000002309302.JPEG

News article in Thai language HERE.

Apparently it seems like it was the service of the second 115kV line that was fixed last Monday, as Thai news yesterday, Friday 12th March, wrote about finding the spot where the new 115kV cable is broken, with assistance from Italian Experts and Thai Navy SEAL divers.
640_h8e9hjie5kck5ff7acead.jpg

Google translate:
Surat Thani - Naval Region 2 joins the dive team meeting to find the point where the submarine cable is damaged, and supports both manpower and underwater cable repair equipment. Ready to start the mission immediately tomorrow morning Using a black set of seals.

March 12, 2021 at the meeting room of the Provincial Electricity Authority, Koh Samui Surat Thani Province, Rear Admiral Manit Kosi, Deputy Commander of the Navy Region 2 With personnel from the navy Meeting with Provincial Electricity Authority And experts from Italian Thai companies Which is a company that specializes in repairing undersea bill cables To assess and prepare for the start of a mission to search for a 115 kv underwater bill that was damaged under the sea on March 8, 2021.

640_56dagdajbb9ajf6fejafa.jpg

Full story in Thai language at Nationtv.tv.

Seems like the islands so far have enough power, even Line 4 (115 KV, Circuit 3) to Samui Power Station 2 (Baan Maenam) is still under repair.

"To date, the load power consumption in the Koh Samui and Koh Phangan areas is 62.41 MW, while the power supply capacity is 99.77 MW, which the electricity supply is sufficient. And normally able to open tourism during the upcoming Songkran festival very well."

Source in Thai: Siamrath "ไฟฟ้าเกาะสมุย-เกาะพะงันเสถียรมั่นคง รองรับนักท่องเที่ยววันหยุดยาวเทศกาลสงกรานต์" (Electricity Koh Samui - Koh Phangan, stable, stable Supports tourists on long holidays, Songkran Festival)