Thailand road carnage video: "Gear" confusion as Thai man, 55, causes havoc at Saraburi market

webfact

Thailand road carnage video: "Gear" confusion as Thai man, 55, causes havoc at Saraburi market

9pm.jpg

CCTV screenshot

Extraordinary CCTV footage from a market in Saraburi in central Thailand showed the moment a white car plowed into motorcyclists, cars and traders. 

The footage suddenly showed a white car shooting forward side swiping an approaching car, going over several motorcyclists before slamming into another area some meters ahead. 

The incident in Nong Khae on the Khok Yae - Nong Phakchee Road left five people injured and six motorcycles, a car pick-up and a bus damaged.

Traders' stand was also damaged.

A man called Opas, 55, was behind the wheel. He came back negative after an alcohol test.

He said that he had pressed on the accelerator by mistake then trying to correct his error made it worse by doing the same again. 

He explained that it was because of confusion about gears - he said he has both manual and auto vehicles at home.

He was charged with negligent driving causing injury and damage. 

Source: RD News Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-08

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tifino said:

so he thinks he's going to whack his Left foot to the Clutch  thinking he was in his Manual, but it's the Right foot that did the spontaneous talking... 

Oh, he was thinking???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that he had pressed on the accelerator by mistake then trying to correct his error made it worse by doing the same again. 

I totally understand his reasoning: the buttons in my condo's elevator work that way!

3 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I fail to understand how he managed to miss so many people. I guess he wasn't concentrating.

Remember he said he had gear troubles... if he managed to find reverse he might of got a few more.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:11 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Its frightening that these idiots are given licenses. 

We are soon due another report of another idiot who doesn't know the difference between their brake and accelerator driving off a poorly constructed multi-storey car-park. 

They dont have licenses mostly and if they do they bought them, see em everyday hunched over the steering wheel doing 40 on the highway too scared to oevrtake anything.

• Haha 1

i use a Baht bus four or five times a week, most drivers do not know how to drive

they hit the gas then slam on the brakes like a kid driving one them old go 'karts

it is obvious they have never passed any ''test''

On 3/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, tifino said:

however - counting from the Left... ???? 

Manual and auto cars are all use the same technique...

you remove your foot from the accelerator which is on the right [in every car] and put your foot on the pedal next to it, which is the brake.

No-one counts from the left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 5:59 PM, NE1 said:

See , if he had a medical before he purchased the car , this wouldn't have happened.

In his case it would have to have been a CT scan to see if their was anything between his ears.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not just Thai can do that. 

A few years ago, my elderly neighbor across the street, drove backwards, at high speed, from his garage, across his front yard, into the street, curving around, back into the yard next door to him, took out the corner of that house, a corner of the house next to that, the corner of the garage of that house, into the back yard of the first house he hit, then demolished the shed in the back of that house!  

No one was hurt. 

Two houses and the garage had condemned signs on them because part of them were in danger of collapsing.   The two houses and the garage were repair.  The shed was replaced. 

On 3/10/2021 at 2:41 PM, hotchilli said:

Manual and auto cars are all use the same technique...

you remove your foot from the accelerator which is on the right [in every car] and put your foot on the pedal next to it, which is the brake.

No-one counts from the left.

I think Tifino was using a smattering of sarcasm in his post.