Letter from UK Embassy to open a Thai bank account?

Hello,

I've just got out of ASQ and need to get a Thai bank account.  We visited BKK Bank but were told we need a letter from the embassy.  However, the lady did not know for sure what the letter should contain.

After browsing this forum, I'm still not 100% sure, but am guessing it is the Affirmation of Residency letter - is that right?

Many thanks.

Most Bangkok Banks will want such a letter from your Embassy and believe they want your address as well as reason to want the account (Embassy will likely know as it seems to have become a normal requirement for last several years). 

If unable obtain the normal method is go from one bank/ branch to another to another until they provide.

Edited by lopburi3
remove incorrect country information

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Most Bangkok Banks will want such a letter from your Embassy and believe they want your address as well as reason to want the account (Embassy will likely know as it seems to have become a normal requirement for last several years).  US Embassy requires appointment as they only provide emergency service currently so not sure if you can get or not.  This is standard form which I would list your address and that you wish to open a bank account and reason for the account.

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/blank-affidavit-bangkok-january-2019.pdf

If unable obtain the normal method is go from one bank/ branch to another to another until they provide.

It is clearly only a 'normal requirement' at Bangkok Bank.  Just avoid them, they are not the only bank around and they are not even the best.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Most Bangkok Banks will want such a letter from your Embassy and believe they want your address as well as reason to want the account (Embassy will likely know as it seems to have become a normal requirement for last several years).  US Embassy requires appointment as they only provide emergency service currently so not sure if you can get or not.  This is standard form which I would list your address and that you wish to open a bank account and reason for the account.

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/blank-affidavit-bangkok-january-2019.pdf

The topic header was

14 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:
18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Expand  

The topic header was

But its still good information for the Op who can then look for something similar from the British Embassy.

The information points the Op in the right direction. 

Your comment helps how exactly ??????

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, Globaleyes said:

After browsing this forum, I'm still not 100% sure, but am guessing it is the Affirmation of Residency letter - is that right?

The affirmation is just that, it's not a letter from the Embassy, you fill out the template affirming that you live in Thailand, at a particular address, and the Consular team member will confirm that you've signed it, it costs £50.

This disclaimer is at the bottom of the affidavit "The service provided by the British Embassy, Bangkok on this document should not be taken as to certifying that this document is binding in law (whether under UK law or otherwise). Individuals are advised to seek independent legal advice as to the validity of this document under the relevant law".

It serves no useful purpose whatsoever than to satisfy the bank official that somebody has witnessed your signature on said affidavit.

As others have said, if you haven't done so already, just try another bank, when I opened an account with Bangkok Bank last year all I needed was my passport and 500 Baht, I was in and out in 30 mins or so with my account, Internet Banking access and an ATM card. 

• Thanks 1

I have opened 5 bank acc here and never needed a letter from my embassy. Krungsri bank being the most friendly of all. Strange that people using Agents for visas with no money in bank need a BKK bank account, in my experience with the people i have talked to.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, Globaleyes said:

Hello,

I've just got out of ASQ and need to get a Thai bank account.  We visited BKK Bank but were told we need a letter from the embassy.  However, the lady did not know for sure what the letter should contain.

Many thanks.

I've opened 3 SCB accounts in my name only... never needed a letter from the embassy .

Tell the bank you need an account so funds can be deposited so you can show immigration to maintain your visa.

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I have opened 5 bank acc here and never needed a letter from my embassy. Krungsri bank being the most friendly of all. Strange that people using Agents for visas with no money in bank need a BKK bank account, in my experience with the people i have talked to.

I changed from Krungsri Bank, they wanted a minimum 699 baht per year [10yr bank card]
SCB 200 baht per year, they got my business.

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Strange that people using Agents for visas with no money in bank need a BKK bank account, in my experience with the people i have talked to.

And what does this remark bring to the party ? Absolutely nothing, you know diddly squat about the OP but chuck that in the mix, I have an account & have had for over 10 years with Kasikorn. I need it for the 3 pensions I get and any money I feel like squandering from my home bank accounts, please note the plural ????

• Confused 1

what the Bangkok Bank is asking for is a sworn affidavit from your embassy in order to open the account. As a US citizen  I got one from the Embassy, cost me $50. I got an example of the affidavit from the  Bank i can share with everyone. take care, good luck stay safe. 

Edited by CharlieH
Removal of personal information image

Thanks again everyone - I have now got a bank account at Krungsri.  Went with the wife.  We also had form TM31 which although is not the usual form from immigration, seemed to be useful. 

I also got an oblique apology from the wife after her complaints about her opening a bank account in Britain.....  ????

Guest jonzboy
4 hours ago, Globaleyes said:

Thanks again everyone - I have now got a bank account at Krungsri.  Went with the wife.  We also had form TM31 which although is not the usual form from immigration, seemed to be useful. 

I also got an oblique apology from the wife after her complaints about her opening a bank account in Britain.....  ????

May I ask what your visa status is and if this was pertinent to acceptance by the bank?

I can only share my experience.  The only bank that would open an account for me without having a long term visa was Bangkok bank and they mandated that I had to buy an insurance policy from them in order to open it.  I needed the bank account to place the required monies to obtain my Retirement 0 Visa.  I tried several banks including Krungsi, SCB, and Kasikorn.  None would open an account without the Retirement 0 Visa.  So I am not sure how others seem to be able to open accounts prior to getting a visa.  I tried explaining that to both the banks and immigration that this was a catch 22 situation in that I couldn't get the visa without the account and I could not get the account without the visa. 

• Like 1