Your best guess? COVID-19 shots for long-term expats starting when?

JTXR

get registered with some private hospitals, also possibly travel clinics. They will get you updated, you can book vax and thus jump the queue.

recently I got my mmr booster, shortly pneumonia prevnar13, hep A, zostavax. Just before the rainy season flu vax.

That probably all in this year.

for covid vax I can wait, see first what they are. I am not in a risk group, so I don't need panic decision.

by getting any jabs now you are enrolling into hospital system

Edited by internationalism
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, internationalism said:

get registered with some private hospitals, also possibly travel clinics. They will get you updated, you can book vax and thus jump the queue.

recently I got my mmr booster, shortly pneumonia prevnar13, hep A, zostavax. Just before the rainy season flu vax.

That probably all in this year.

for covid vax I can wait, see first what they are. I am not in a risk group, so I don't need panic decision.

by getting any jabs now you are enrolling into hospital system

Don't understand why you needed MMR booster !!

No "booster" doses of MMR vaccine are recommended for either adults or children. They are considered to have life-long immunity once they have received the recommended number of MMR vaccine doses or have other evidence of immunity.
More or less the same for Hep A.

Hepatitis A is one of the most common vaccine-preventable infectious diseases in the world. Effective vaccines against hepatitis A have been available since 1992, and they provide long-term immunity against the infection. However, there is no worldwide consensus on how long protection will last or whether there will be a need for hepatitis A virus (HAV) booster vaccinations in the future. In most countries, booster-vaccination policy is guided by manufacturers' recommendations, national authorities, or both. In June, 2002, a panel of international experts met to review the long-term immunogenicity and protection conferred by HAV vaccine in different population groups. Data have shown that after a full primary vaccination course, protective antibody amounts persist beyond 10 years in healthy individuals, and underlying immune memory provides protection far beyond the duration of anti-HAV antibodies. The group concluded that there is no evidence to lend support to HAV booster vaccination after a full primary vaccination course in a healthy individual. However, further investigations are needed before deciding if boosters can be omitted in special patient-groups.

image.png

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Haha 1

About a month ago I asked my doctor in one of the private hospitals which are in the news about Covid vaccine in Thailand.

According to him they will start the vaccinations in June this year. At least that seems to be the current plan. 

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

About a month ago I asked my doctor in one of the private hospitals which are in the news about Covid vaccine in Thailand.

According to him they will start the vaccinations in June this year. At least that seems to be the current plan. 

... for Thai only ...

My guess is farang will get it after they vax all the soi dogs...

Until they allow private institutions to peruse their own supply of vax and sell it...  I don't expect to get it in Thailand for years or until all Thai's are vax'ed)...

I expect to be able to get it in my home country around the end of the year... (but that, I feel is overly optimistic... lol)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 3/8/2021 at 6:15 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Don't understand why you needed MMR booster !!

MMR booster is offered in all travel clinics, as well as hep A.

To know how each those vax correlate to pandemic do search for keywords, for example "mmr covid". You will find many madical articles and you can make your mind based on them.

You can also talk to any doctor.  When I went for pneumonia shot, I was also offered flu, mmr, hep A, and even japanese empha. That was mahidol hospital travel clinic, not private clinic trying to sell you everything.

The point is boosting an immune system and also preventing co-infection.

what started as a mild covid infection, might become serious with other viruses, bacteria and fungus developing in your lungs or elsewhere.

Might be the opposite, for example flu not treated properly weakens you and covid has easier entry 

I'd guess early-mid 2022 under the public vaccination program.

But if you're prepared to pay for it, I'd guess within a month or so, at a private hospital, though demand will be high.  And it will likely be Sinovac in the provinces.

• Like 1

I was just wondering the same thing myself after seeing the HUGE number of vaccines that Thailand have acquired for June and September per a thaitiger article.

My guess is that as a farang I will be very lucky if I get vaccinated in 2021. 

Will farangs even eligible for free government vaccination or will this be another cash ???? for Thai agencies I wonder....? 

Edited by stament
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

At a guess May/June from private hospitals, maybe even earlier. 

If you wait for a  vaccine from the  govt,  Sept/Oct

I've got a friend who's in the "at risk" category.  Older with underlying conditions.  His doc said he was scheduled for a jab next month.  The doc doesn't know which one, but said it will be available to him next month if interested.  I'd guess AZ or the Chinese one. 

We are already in March, and with restricted numbers of certain manufacturers vaccines, and the fact that Thais will be first in line here,  I don't think we will get a look in until second half of the year.

Even private hospitals will probably have limited supplies. Will they offer a first come first served approach? Monied Thai approach? 

Internationalism's suggestion is probably the best idea if you want to get it earlier. But any preference for a particular type of vaccine might also delay your chance of getting it early.

• Like 1

I have seen no sign that the governmentg is showing any interest in vaccine for foreigners. They are giving it to Thais at a fairly leisurely rate - maybe just waiting for reliable supplies.

In any case, despite being in  the most vulnerable category I am in no hurry to be shot full of foreign protein - even less so for mRNA

• Like 1

May to August.

Yesterdays news,  another Chinese gift of 800,000 sinovac doses with a request to vaccinate Chinese expats. Yep that is right Ambassador Yang Xin urged Thailand to set up a centre to vaccinate Chinese Expats.      If only AstraZeneca  could say the same, but likely too racist, colonialist, and uh, 'privilege' issues. Still with news like this and Thailand's slow roll out, say May to August, private hospitals will be allowed to sell if only to stop the complaints and negative news stories. 

Getting them via the Thailand roll out and not through private hospitals. Won't happen until the thai roll out gets rolling. However by January 2022 at the latest.

Edited by LomSak27

I'm sticking with Q4, 2021, so 1 Oct - 31 Dec.

And 6,500 - 10,000 all in.

Hard to guage how quickly the first tranche might sell out? Depends on the quantity ordered obviously, but there is a lot of pent-up demand among middle-class and higher Thais.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stament said:

I was just wondering the same thing myself after seeing the HUGE number of vaccines that Thailand have acquired for June and September per a thaitiger article.

My guess is that as a farang I will be very lucky if I get vaccinated in 2021. 

Will farangs even eligible for free government vaccination or will this be another cash ???? for Thai agencies I wonder....? 

Why would you expect it for free?

I have always paid for any medical / hospital treatment including vaccines since I have lived in Thailand.

Depending on the status of your health, there is probably as much chance of dying of some other illness/ disease against which you can be vaccinated as there is of Covid.

When you decide to live in Thailand you have to accept there is no Welfare State for farangs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Why would you expect it for free?

I have always paid for any medical / hospital treatment including vaccines since I have lived in Thailand.

Depending on the status of your health, there is probably as much chance of dying of some other illness/ disease against which you can be vaccinated as there is of Covid.

When you decide to live in Thailand you have to accept there is no Welfare State for farangs.

I myself don't mind paying for it but I think if you are trying to vaccinate the whole country it should be available to all including for example poor immigrants who are working. Not covering everyone could lead to problems further down the line.

I do wonder though if foreigners who pay Thai taxes will be covered under the social security system.

There is state healthcare for foreigners if you are covered under the Thai social security system.

Just to be clear I've always paid for private health cover and costs in Thailand for myself and family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Because Thais living in my country get it for free. And no doubt some have had it already.

Assume That Thais in your Country pay Taxes and are in the social sistem .

Me as a retiree do not expect Thailand to give me a free Covid Vaccine but to make a Vaccine available for me to be paud at a Private Hospital , yes .

58 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Exactly, an entire thread with no possibility of accurate information. Seems a bit pointless 

Yet that didn't stop you for posting. Interesting.

Pro-tip: Read title of thread before making yourself look silly.

"Your Best Guess..."

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yet that didn't stop you for posting. Interesting.

Pro-tip: Read title of thread before making yourself look silly.

"Your Best Guess..."

And you saw fit to make another pointless post... and you call me silly ???? 

I'm back to the old saw about over 70s with no health insurance (me, for instance).

If one is vaccinated overseas, the question is whether the health insurance requirement for re-entry can be avoided, at least for non-Os.

I'll only fly to see my children this summer if I can be assured of getting back in. The way it is now, yes, it's expensive with quarantine & probably airfares will be up, too. But the health insurance part is my obstacle.