800,000 Doses of Sinovac Vaccine Are Expected to Arrive on March 25

webfact

800,000 Doses of Sinovac Vaccine Are Expected to Arrive on March 25
Paphamon Arayasukawat

53fa46c271355148faf00d34997a7275_small.jpg   

BANGKOK (NNT) - Another 800,000 doses of Sinovac vaccine for Covid-19 will arrive in Thailand on March 25, and among those to receive the Sinovac jabs will be Cabinet members aged below 60.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said the charg d’affaires at China’s embassy in Thailand, Yang Xin, had informed him that Chinese authorities have approved and coordinated with the manufacturing company.

He said Thailand will continue to issue a letter of intent to seek support for the vaccine from China as a friend. If the vaccine is given, it may state the condition to take care of the Chinese nationals in Thailand.

The minister said four pharmaceutical firms have so far applied for approval to distribute Covid-19 vaccines in Thailand. Two of them -- AstraZeneca and Sinovac -- have so far been approved and have already shipped vaccines here.

nnt.jpg
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, webfact said:

If the vaccine is given, it may state the condition to take care of the Chinese nationals in Thailand.

This is smart. Chinese nationals in Thailand are massively more likely (than random Thai citizens) to visit China in the coming years. Gifting vaccines to nearby countries is always about reducing the overall risk to the motherland.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He said Thailand will continue to issue a letter of intent to seek support for the vaccine from China as a friend. If the vaccine is given, it may state the condition to take care of the Chinese nationals in Thailand.

I doubt many Chinese nationals are eager to take the Chinese vaccine if they have alternatives. They understand better than most.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, donnacha said:

I suspect their more immediate worry, right now, is that the South East nations so popular with Chinese long-stay tourists have all hidden their actual infection levels from the start and are raging reservoirs for the virus. The last thing China wants to deal with is a continual flow of infected citizens bringing it back home.

Their longer-term plans for regional domination will resume once they have dealt with their current mess.

And with this clarification of logic I completely agree.

• Like 2

Just now, John Drake said:

I don't fault the Chinese for trying to protect their citizens abroad. I do ask why the miserable, cowardly American and European embassies don't do the same?

Reciprocal agreements would be ideal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Western countries don't care. The US embassy is utterly indifferent to what happens to US citizens.

I said reciprocal agreements would be ideal but I am not expecting them to happen. I am expecting to pay for my vaccinations at a private hospital.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Western countries don't care. The US embassy is utterly indifferent to what happens to US citizens.

Not everywhere is the same as USA!

20210307_111732.jpg

Edited by PatOngo

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Not everywhere is the same as USA!

The others are doing better? Certainly not the UK. About the same. And the EU countries can't even get their people vaccinated at home, much less abroad. They are all equally indifferent and uncaring as far as I can tell.

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

The others are doing better? Certainly not the UK. About the same. And the EU countries can't even get their people vaccinated at home, much less abroad. They are all equally indifferent and uncaring as far as I can tell.

Australia and New Zealand are among the world leaders in Covid 19 control! America has been an absolute disgrace the way they handled it, hopefully the new management will do better than the previous pretender!

20 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Could be worse, Canada had a deal to order the equivalent of 5 doses per person. Somehow an incompetent managed to not actually order it. So Canada is scrambling to find doses anywhere they can.

40 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Australia and New Zealand are among the world leaders in Covid 19 control! America has been an absolute disgrace the way they handled it, hopefully the new management will do better than the previous pretender!

The discussion is about the role of Western embassies in Thailand helping their citizens. 

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The UK is brimming with vaccines, infact they said they'll be giving their surplus to poorer countries