Chiang Mai in crisis as helicopter brought in to try and control devastating fires

webfact

Chiang Mai in crisis as helicopter brought in to try and control devastating fires

6pm.jpg
Picture Sanook

Sanook reported that Chiang Mai was in crisis yesterday after a massive forest fire in the southern end of the Doi Suthep - Pui National park burned out of control. 

Firefighters and civilians totally 200 individuals were unable to cope as the wind changed direction whipping up the blaze that had started in the Bang Pong area of Hand Dong district. 

KA 32 helicopter was called in.

It dumped 57,000 liters of water in 19 sorties. 

By nightfall when operations were limited it had managed to control the fire but only to 50% of previous levels. 

Sanook reported their sources as saying that one man had been arrested for starting the fire but he denied it. 

In recent days the northern Thai city has been one of the most polluted major cities in the world, notes Thaivisa, with dangerous levels of haze across many districts.

Health warnings to vulnerable people have been issued. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-11

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

One man MIGHT have started the fire.  I wonder if it is the same man that starts it every damn year. 

It only takes one idiot to start a fire, especially in the wild!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromas said:

Why is nobody getting caught and facing the consequences?

Why?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Sanook reported their sources as saying that one man had been arrested for starting the fire but he denied it. 

Does that satisfy you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

One helicopter? The other one must have been on lunch break...

I read that the DDPM only have 2 of these aircraft. So it's inevitable there will be occasions when one of them will be down for maintenance. 

It has to be done and helicopters, require a lot of maintenance. You ignore the schedules at your peril.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, toofarnorth said:

One man MIGHT have started the fire.  I wonder if it is the same man that starts it every damn year. 

Why not have the boys call up burma--vietnam--smoky places etc and rally all the helicopters...

Then load up with water and drown out all the fires from above..birds eye view~!!  ")

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling image removed
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I read that the DDPM only have 2 of these aircraft. So it's inevitable there will be occasions when one of them will be down for maintenance. 

It has to be done and helicopters, require a lot of maintenance. You ignore the schedules at your peril.

Your making excuses for the foot dragging, they should change the Schedules to be ready for this annual occurrence, Full maintenance should be 150hrs flying time (How much flying time do they do the rest of the year?) and checked every 25hrs flying time), in the real world. With the amount of staff in the RTA it *could* be easily achieved. Having only two available is pathetic. DDPM   =  Disaster PREVENTION !

Edited by brianthainess

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Your making excuses for the foot dragging, they should change the Schedules to be ready for this annual occurrence, Full maintenance should be 150hrs flying time (How much flying time do they do the rest of the year?) and checked every 25hrs flying time), in the real world. With the amount of staff in the RTA it *could* be easily achieved. Having only two available is pathetic. DDPM   =  Disaster PREVENTION !

You cannot change the schedules for  SCHEDULED maintenance. And what do you know about a. the maintenance schedules for Russian helicopters and b. the other duties these aircraft perform throughout the year?

I would would suggest nothing about either.

1 hour ago, connda said:

They'd should be proactive

Please, how? When it's burning it is too late.

Tonight much 'better' for some areas? - I think so.

image.png.87079b014a83291371f67cb5db29dd5c.png

https://aqicn.org/here     21:00

1 hour ago, connda said:

find the people setting the fires.

This might become a difficult task in Myanmar. Especially as there are

other 'problems' these days.  But it is a Cambodian phaenomenon too.

image.png.da7c5a1735d500e5c782c2f65ca02b1f.png

I close my eyes and count to ten ...

and we can breathe fresh, clean air again.

You have come to live in a developing country because it is cheaper than were you came from which you can’t afford.

accept that there is a cost to your health to live where the air is an open sewer and stop whining.

have you considered Togo as a more sustainable retirement place?

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, toofarnorth said:

yeah, but he denied it, so thst's the end of this story! ????

On 3/11/2021 at 3:33 AM, TheFishman1 said:

Chiang Mai air the last few days has been absolutely terrible these type people keep lighting fires in the forest and it’s making the air and Chiang Mai and believably hard to live with my eyes are tearing my throat is sore hello I’m leaving and going to the islands for a month. TIT

Yes and then you’ll move back and bitch about it again next year?

can’t fix stupid!????????????????????????????????????????????????‍♂️????????‍♂️????????‍♂️????????????????????‍♂️????????‍♂️

• Like 2