Pattaya suffers 99% fall in tourist arrivals

webfact

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

Add your taxi fare to the bar to have some cheap drinks, and the drinks end up costing 150 baht.  

Taxi fares are cheap in Pattaya, under 100 baht to ride about 12km from central Pattaya to my home. It is ridiculous to add that price to the cost of a beer, and that would still be less than Phuket. 

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Taxi fares are cheap in Pattaya, under 100 baht to ride about 12km from central Pattaya to my home. It is ridiculous to add that price to the cost of a beer, and that would still be less than Phuket. 

Taxi wont start the engine for 100 baht in Phuket

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I was referring to Phuket. 

The same would happen here if there were no baht buses.  

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

I was referring to Phuket. 

The same would happen here if there were no baht buses.  

The subject is Pattaya.....

I do not know if the same would happen here, that is guesswork. 

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The subject is Pattaya.....

I do not know if the same would happen here, that is guesswork. 

Yes, we are discussing Pattaya, and I said if it wasn't for the baht buses in Pattaya, we would have the same transport mafia controlled system here, along with the accidents and death on the roads.

That system is already here, with taxis refusing to use their meters.  It's not really guessing what would happen when its been happening for years.  

You have mentioned the Bolt App.  It will be interesting to see what happens to the prices on that app when tourism starts again.  

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, we are discussing Pattaya, and I said if it wasn't for the baht buses in Pattaya, we would have the same transport mafia controlled system here, along with the accidents and death on the roads.

Yes we still have accidents and death on the roads, many caused by baht busses. Which actually I seem to manage without. We had the taxi mafia nevertheless, until Apps (and Covid) started to undermine them. 

• Confused 1

On 3/29/2021 at 5:57 AM, jacko45k said:

Yes we still have accidents and death on the roads,

Not as many as there would be if there were no baht buses.

many caused by baht busses.

Link please?

Which actually I seem to manage without.

So do I, but around Central Pattaya, they are very convenient.   

We had the taxi mafia nevertheless, until Apps (and Covid) started to undermine them. 

I hope the undermining continues, post covid.  

Ridiculous how is takes an app that is controlled by IT guys to do something the Thai government should have done decades ago.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

Ridiculous how is takes an app that is controlled by IT guys to do something the Thai government should have done decades ago.  

It will not last, but at the moment there is not enough business around for them to push up prices. I doubt the guys sitting waiting at the end of Second Rd near T21 are offering the same prices as the Bolt App, to those enquiring at their windows. 

I expect many sit around for many hours without business . 

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It will not last, but at the moment there is not enough business around for them to push up prices. I doubt the guys sitting waiting at the end of Second Rd near T21 are offering the same prices as the Bolt App, to those enquiring at their windows. 

I spoke with a minivan driver I know the other day he said he only gets 2 or 3 jobs per month

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I think people gave up asking at the windows years ago, which I dare say made many tourists give up coming back to Pattaya / Thailand.  

Transport is an essential service, but it's controlled by the mafia here.  It's a disgrace.  

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think people gave up asking at the windows years ago, which I dare say made many tourists give up coming back to Pattaya / Thailand.  

Transport is an essential service, but it's controlled by the mafia here.  It's a disgrace.  

The first time tourists are likely the only ones doing that... and perhaps those loaded up with shopping who are used to high transport costs elsewhere. Of course they are currently absent, but that was not the case just over a year ago....  curiously the taxis still wait. 

I seem to get about quite well without resorting much to the mafia.... 

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The first time tourists are likely the only ones doing that..

With taxi trips costing more than their accommodation, do you think they will be back?

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I seem to get about quite well without resorting much to the mafia.... 

So do I, thanks to baht buses and motorcycle taxis. 

It's the tourists that need slightly longer journeys that have to deal with the mafia style pricing system.  There's a reason why the majority of tourists to Pattaya are in coach buses.