Baits for Beach Casting/Shore Fishing

SamuiAddict

What species do you wish to target?

Your name indicates you are on Samui, so why not consider catching live bait on a pier and chose a pier with wind from land side = you can let the live bait float out 100-200m and most likely catch Barracuda or Needlefish.

Or buy some fresh squid, the fresher the better. 

I would avoid bottom fishing, unless you target Groupers. Gropers will go straight to the reef and if big you cannot stop them = line will be cut.

tight lines

Hi, thanks for the advice.  That sounds fun targeting Barracuda that way!

Actually after posting this I realised the local fish market would be a good place to get baits of all types, and tesco even does frozen mackerel and stuff.

I'm wanting to try long distance beach casting fishing over a sandy bottom off Lamai beach to see what I can pick up - if anything.  

Welcome.

Sandy bottom, sounds like you could catch a Stingray, so please be prepared to release these in a safe way without getting stung.

I would recommend you to stay away from bottom fishing and use the wind to get the bait out to the fish. 

Live bait is very easy to catch and also to keep alive in a net while fishing. (smallest hook you can find, small piece of squid and a pier). The nets are 300-400thb and can be found in any local fishing shop.

Steel leaders, treble hooks, floaters and even bio degradable balloons can be ordered online from 7seasproshop.

I have caught Queenfish, King Mackrel, Barracuda, Grouper, Needlefish and Cobia with live bait and this method, strike rate is nearly 100% when the bait gets out 100-150m which is difficult or impossible to achieve with casting. At least with live bait it is.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 1:33 PM, THEN said:

...[quote]and even bio degradable balloons can be ordered online from 7seasproshop.

...and this method, strike rate is nearly 100% when the bait gets out 100-150m which is difficult or impossible to achieve with casting. At least with live bait it is. [/quote]

(I edited your quote for shortness, hope you don't mind) 

This is interesting and I've never heard of this. You mentioned wind, and the balloons. So one attaches the bait, and uses a balloon to act as a sort of "sail" and lets the wind push it out from shore?  How deep do you set your bait?

Brian

Yes correct, but mainly interesting if you are on an island or on a boat where you can use the wind to move out your bait.

I usually set my bait at 1-1.5m.

I dont like when I lose a balloon in the sea, but I try to pay back by always collecting 1-2 full bags of plastic garbage.

For my coming holiday I am planning to use either:

1. Mountain dew bottle connected with rubber band (at least this bottle will not be swallowed by fish or turtles and I can easily remove 10-20 plastic bottles from a beach on every trip).

2. Below YouTube rig seems to be a good idea as well and something I will try. Though I plan to replace the 4-6lb fishing line with a rubber band.

Overall I would like to get away from balloons, as they can split in 2-3 pcs, if they pop.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, pavaarty said:

are you living in Thailand?

If it is me you are asking then yes. I live in Thailand on my 9th year.

90% of my fishing is from my small boat, but I do enjoy fishing from shore or a pier whenever I get the chance.

Boating the last 8 years and the Thai Gulf is absolutely not dead, plenty of fish to target in the 5-20kg range.

I sent you my best fishing spots around Koh Khram Yai last year by PM, but this has nothing to do with this thread which is about shore fishing.

Anybody else boating or fishing near Sattahip? then I will happily forward the map by pm. Koh Khram Yai is a pearl for fishing and also to enjoy the nature, silence or anchor up in the lagoon for a night.

• Like 1