The wire to my fan heater gets HOT

Daffy D

I got a fan heater  2kW Fan Heater  from RS components.

Its a nice little heater and does what it says on the box. 

Problem is that after using for a while the cable from the heater to the plug gets quite warm, almost as if it's overloaded.

The cable is twin 2x0.75mm 300/500V.

0.75mm for 2kw does not seem like a lot to me but as it's European made guess it should be enough. 

What do you think ?

I could rewire it with a bigger 3 core cable for added safety, but it has tamperproof screws deep down in the case that will be difficult to get at so rather not do that. ????

447094288_2kWHeater-Resized.jpg.62e09ee1a9084e6a6f557edd5837c256.jpg 

Looking at 2 core flex on the TLC (uk supplier) website it puts 0.75mm2 at 6A, about 1300W!!

At 2kW (about 9A) it's going to get pretty warm, not going to start any fires unless you cover it but not really good.

I'd be replacing it with >1mm2, drivers for tamper-proof screws are readily available.

It's likely double-insulated so 2 core would be fine.

EDIT Is it the plug or the cable getting warm? If it's the plug just replace with a decent local 2 pin plug.

EDIT 2 A Type C euro-plug may not make good contact with a Thai outlet. New plug time.

• Like 1

Hi Crossy was hoping you'd be on the case ????

The plug is a good fit and does not heat up, only the cable is getting warm along it's whole length, not just hotspots.

I have a couple of sets of various tamper proof drivers but non are long enough to reach into the where the screws are, about 4in. down a skinny hole, plus I can't really see what kind of screw head it actually is so would be a case of try and see what fits ????

So you think as long as the cable is not covered it should be alright if it gets warm/hot ?

:)

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Another problem could be if the cable is long and on a coil. 

Cable with a lot of power going through it should never be on a coil.

P7nzb.jpg

Oh! I got that T-Shirt long ago ????

But in this case the cable is just a couple of meters long, just long enough to reach from the wall plug, half way up the wall, down to the heater.

Just a straight gentle curve with no sharp bends.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Another problem could be if the cable is long and on a coil. 

Cable with a lot of power going through it should never be on a coil.

P7nzb.jpg

My mother got that T-shirt quite a long time ago she changed a 13A 5 meter extension into a 3A 1 meter cable, luckily no emergency services were involved. ???? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daffy D said:

So you think as long as the cable is not covered it should be alright if it gets warm/hot ?

I'm sure it will be fine, RS are not known for selling rubbish and the brand is apparently made in Spain.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'm sure it will be fine, RS are not known for selling rubbish and the brand is apparently made in Spain.

I guess in Thailand the question is if the cable outside or inside the wall gets warm. Then better the cable outside of the wall. ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

That's what I though so was a bit surprised with the hot cable.

And don't worry I won't blame you if the house burns down  ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daffy D said:

And don't worry I won't blame you if the house burns down  ????

No worres Daffy, from the local Forum Roolz at the top of the forum ???? 

TV will not be liable for any adverse consequences that may result from advice or information provided in this forum. Members who offer electrical related advice or recommendations do so on their own accord and are solely responsible for the content; this applies equally to members who are also TV Moderators.

Readers are responsible for deciding which, if any, advice or information found in this forum to accept.

34 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I dont think I will be able to help on this one.  Never found the need for a "heater" in Thailand. 

Me neither, but it can get decidely "cool" in the north particularly at elevation.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I dont think I will be able to help on this one.  Never found the need for a "heater" in Thailand. 

Well neither did I till I got married, had kids and moved away from the beach.

In the "Winter" when the kids get up for school and it's still dark a heater just takes the chill off the room.

Also in the "Wet" season where everything is damp all the time and the kid come home wet from school it's useful in drying out their school bags and shoes and what ever that need for school the next day.

Obviously don't use a heater a lot but very useful the few times when you do need it. 

????

Edited by Daffy D