Free Thai TV with AIS?

recom273

I noticed that my iPad had account details for AISPlay, I checked the site and it looked like they have most of the regular Thai channels available, the wife has an AIS contract phone, so i called the hotline, where I was informed it was 199B per month.

I entered the wife’s number a got live channel 7, albeit about 3 mins behind.

I did a bit of digging, it seems that the regular Thai channels are free and the premium channels, like a Thai Netflix are 199B / month.

We pay around 350B for the True box, which she hardly watches. So all I need is an Apple TV or something with Google playstore - and it’s free, can anyone confirm this?

What do you actually want to watch?

For Thai TV most of the country is covered by free-to-air digital transmissions now, just needs an antenna (and a cheap box if you don't have a digital TV).

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

What do you actually want to watch?

For Thai TV most of the country is covered by free-to-air digital transmissions now, just needs an antenna (and a cheap box if you don't have a digital TV).

I don’t watch anything!

She just watches the odd soap, and the village gossip show, I mean the news.

Of course we have a digital TV - so it could be correct, this AIS Tv is free and I could lose another bill, that’s great!

What other free options are there? 

We are a little handicapped as we have a Samsung tizen OS TV which doesn’t really have a great deal of apps, and an Amazon fireTV stick, which is Android with no playstore.

I am on the verge of buying a new box, but i use Jellyfin server at home - trying to find which platform has the best jellyfin client app, will either be a roku, shield or Apple TV.

48 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I don’t watch anything!

She just watches the odd soap, and the village gossip show, I mean the news.

Of course we have a digital TV - so it could be correct, this AIS Tv is free and I could lose another bill, that’s great!

What other free options are there? 

We are a little handicapped as we have a Samsung tizen OS TV which doesn’t really have a great deal of apps, and an Amazon fireTV stick, which is Android with no playstore.

I am on the verge of buying a new box, but i use Jellyfin server at home - trying to find which platform has the best jellyfin client app, will either be a roku, shield or Apple TV.

You can purchase a True box for around 1500 Baht which has no fees at all.

58 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I have a Samsung Tizen TV (about 3 years old, I think).  There is an AIS Play app available for it,  My Mrs. uses it all the time.  I'm also paying the little bit extra to get BEIN Sports and the Nat Geo channels.

19 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

I have a Samsung Tizen TV (about 3 years old, I think).  There is an AIS Play app available for it,  My Mrs. uses it all the time.  I'm also paying the little bit extra to get BEIN Sports and the Nat Geo channels.

Wicked - it wasn’t until Late last night that I discovered the package - I’m surprised that their is a tizen app, a while ago I was going to get HBO go from 3BB, but no app for tizen. I will get on it later.

So you pay the 199B per month? 

Edited by recom273

34 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I’m not really into buying a single use box, when I have something that can do the job for free, but thanks. 

I wonder why true haven’t contacted us to offer an upgrade, happy to take the 350B a month I guess. We don’t have true internet maybe one thing. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 7:57 AM, Will27 said:

Can you still watch the free-to-air thai channels with with a true cable box after your subscription with true ends?  Or do they stop transmitting when you stop paying the monthly fee?

53 minutes ago, stament said:

Can you still watch the free-to-air thai channels with with a true cable box after your subscription with true ends?  Or do they stop transmitting when you stop paying the monthly fee?

We never had a subscription.

Just bought the box.

35 minutes ago, stament said:

Not too sure. I don’t think so. I guess they want their box back, you only rent it.

I had a disagreement with them,  after 10 years of TV and contract phone totaling over 200K THB - they we’re still taking 350B for satellite TV, even tho they had this IPTV service.

They said a Thai salesman contacted me in December to offer me an android box, but was scared to speak to the westerner.

I have a smart TV, Apple TV / firestick TV - Why do I want to rent an Android box from true every month? The content is all paid for by advertising, I tried to speak to someone about it. They declined to speak to me. 

I had their satellite box for 10 years, I used my own long HDMI cable which runs in conduit in the wall, the wife took the box and remote back to them and they wanted to charge her 300B because the 10 year old HDMI cable was missing. 

I took my business to AIS, unlimited mobile data for same monthly package, free Thai TV without the need to use another device, helpline that doesn’t require you to struggle through 10 options and enter your customer ID number before you speak to an operator who puts the phone down.

There was a time when true offered something - maybe better coverage or decent rates - now, every provider offers pretty much the same, they are falling behind the market - everyone in our little soi has now sent their box back and is using someones AIS ID to access TV.

21 minutes ago, Will27 said:

We never had a subscription.

Just bought the box.

Its just an Android box right? Or is there something special about it?

I don’t understand why they need to use a box. AIS has an iOS, android and TizenOS app, you log in on your phone and it gives you an OTP. Enter that into your TV and you are away.

The best thing is, I set up the wife’s iPad with the AIS app - no more nights of waiting for a 3 hour Thai soap to finish. Result! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Its just an Android box right? Or is there something special about it?

I don’t understand why they need to use a box. AIS has an iOS, android and TizenOS app, you log in on your phone and it gives you an OTP. Enter that into your TV and you are away.

The best thing is, I set up the wife’s iPad with the AIS app - no more nights of waiting for a 3 hour Thai soap to finish. Result! 

Yep

Just a box.

We already had the satellite in place.