Wi-Fi issues

4MyEgo

So lately the Wi-Fi at home has been playing up, one minute it's on, the other minute it's off, kids getting stroppy from time to time because it interferes with their play time, Buddha help me.

The 3BB modem is right next to my laptop, so I put the Ethernet cable into my laptop and the internet works fine, however the Wi-Fi doesn't, then it does, then it doesn't and the other night there was ZERO Wi-Fi.

I turned the modem off, then turned it on in the morning, Wi-Fi was working, then it wasn't so I put in the call and the technicians came around to find out what was going on.

3BB are very good in responding quickly and sorting problems, previously replacing the modem, however this time, the guy tuned to the wife and said it's your husbands laptop, wife said to me, it's your laptop, I said what has my laptop got to do with the Wi-Fi not working from time to time, it's working with Ethernet, and it's the kids iPad, Tablet and Mobiles that cannot get Wi-Fi, oh yeh was her reply as she scratched her head and then explained what I said to the technician, hmmm, he scratched his head and was looking at his colleague who was sitting on the floor playing some games on his Tablet and asked if I used international sites, der was my reply.

He then played around with his mobile and said, ok, I just reset your IP address to an international one because we don't have an international IP address, so I set up your account to get access to an international IP address and said if this happens again call the call centre and tell them to put you onto an international IP address and then left.  

Now I don't know much about modems and the like but I smelt a rat, coincidently the Wi-Fi is not working this morning, well, it works when it wants to, drops off, comes back on.

I am thinking it's the modem, even though it's a couple of months old, I think the issue is with the box.

Anything else I might be missing ?

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

My reaction would be the same as yours.

The following is a list of the most common reasons related to intermittent wireless connection:
  • Low signal quality received from your wireless router.
  • Proper MTU size of the network not determined.
  • Frequency interference from other wireless devices.
  • Physical obstructions.
  • Mismatched router and adapter settings.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=140565

The interference could relate to the laptop comment ?

Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

I had something like this too for a while. Was interference from something outside my condo. Impossible to find out what it was. Luckily it disappeared. 

The question is if your WiFi is completely off or just disturbed by something. For instance whenever I switch on my microwave the signal gets a problem. But an easy thing that you could try is to select a different channel (or channels if you use more than one). Do you have a modem with 2 and 5 Ghz? 

Just read that Peterw42 had the same idea while I was typing... 

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had similar problems with a Huawei HG8145V5 it seemed to be heat related getting worse later in the day when more people would be using it streaming content etc. Maybe a lot of heat is created by the gaming over WiFi your kids are doing? Anyway I bought an Asus router and hardwired it to a LAN port on the gateway router and that took care of the WiFi dropping.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KeeTua said:

I had similar problems with a Huawei HG8145V5 it seemed to be heat related getting worse later in the day when more people would be using it streaming content etc. Maybe a lot of heat is created by the gaming over WiFi your kids are doing? Anyway I bought an Asus router and hardwired it to a LAN port on the gateway router and that took care of the WiFi dropping.

Yes bringing in a more expensive router often fixed it if the old one can be put in bridge mode. There is a reason why the routers from internet providers are free. They are cheap <deleted> things, if you have problems a better far more expensive asus router can help. It has a faster processor more memory and better connection.

• Thanks 1

We have a ToT supplied Huawei HG8245H (we are on the 3rd one now).

I gave up with the WiFi and added my own ASUS RT-AC88U router. The Huawei isn't in bridge mode but the potential "double NAT" issue doesn't seem to cause problems. 

The ASUS WAN port is in the ASUS DMZ so I can get to the ASUS from outside for the security cameras and my NAS.

6 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Maybe a lot of heat is created by the gaming over WiFi your kids are doing? Anyway I bought an Asus router and hardwired it to a LAN port on the gateway router and that took care of the WiFi dropping.

I did mention that to the wife who passed that on to the technician but he just laughed it off more or less said it doesn't matter how many devices are using the router, it doesn't effect it's speed....lol.

I like the idea of getting my own router, when the time comes as it seems to work fine now, albeit I have the ethernet cable in my laptop and therefor don't need Wi-Fi, as for the kids, well they NEED the net or all hell breaks loose, tantrums and the like, welcome to the age of tech induced kids, now with school holidays approaching, I will make sure that the hour or two that I give them after school homework and house chores are done, remains in force....lol

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

We have a ToT supplied Huawei HG8245H (we are on the 3rd one now).

I gave up with the WiFi and added my own ASUS RT-AC88U router. The Huawei isn't in bridge mode but the potential "double NAT" issue doesn't seem to cause problems. 

The ASUS WAN port is in the ASUS DMZ so I can get to the ASUS from outside for the security cameras and my NAS.

I put it in bridge mode to fully utilize the Asus. So that no work is done in the other router as its slower and will slow things down. (might not always notice of course) But like you like your electronics / electricity. I like my computers and stuff being in the best configuration possible. We all got our "thing" 

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I did mention that to the wife who passed that on to the technician but he just laughed it off more or less said it doesn't matter how many devices are using the router, it doesn't effect it's speed....lol.

I like the idea of getting my own router, when the time comes as it seems to work fine now, albeit I have the ethernet cable in my laptop and therefor don't need Wi-Fi, as for the kids, well they NEED the net or all hell breaks loose, tantrums and the like, welcome to the age of tech induced kids, now with school holidays approaching, I will make sure that the hour or two that I give them after school homework and house chores are done, remains in force....lol

Even with my Asus router I still use cables as its always the fastest. But I don't have a laptop but desktop. So its easy one time you put the cables somewhere and your done. Actually in this house i taped 2 cables to the floor. (Rented house so going through the ceiling was not an option).

I like cables for many things also for my keyboard. Mouse is wireless and so is my headset. But in general i like a wired connection. 

• Thanks 1

if the direct cable connection for your laptop is okay 

- why not supply the kids wifi connection in the house, via a HotSpot? 

I use Virtual WiFi Router - in fact it has been a reliable option ever since I started using it back mid-2015 (we were at the time rental car tripping all around Europe and I used my laptop hotspot to supply the rest of our little group who were spread over 3 separate rooms in each Hotel we stopped at... image.thumb.png.410f5286ecde011e016dcaeef576a73e.png 

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2021 at 3:38 PM, 4MyEgo said:

I think the biggest issue is the tech. 

ISP routers don’t manage multiple connections very well and they just tip over, do you have things like smart lightbulbs or smarhome products in addition to WiFi devices?

Did he take a look at the connected clients and try and give an explanation based upon factual evidence? Sound not.

It may be that you are getting channel interference, try using a WiFi analyzer on an android phone.

Its a shame, some 3BB techs are really good, looks like you met with the opposite.

Just get a better WiFi router and get the same tech to come and put the ISP router into bridge mode. 

• Thanks 1

Update:

The issue seems to have gone as there have been no Wi-Fi issues since 3BB's technicians came out, suffice to say appreciate everyone's input as it gives me a lot of options should the issue reoccur.

Mods can close this topic off if they like as I have received lots of advice on how to sort it if it happens again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 3:42 PM, Surelynot said:

Yes...not convinced, but I have some Sony bluetooth headphones and wifi seems dodgy when I use them...just a thought to consider.

If you have a dual-band router, using the 5Ghz wireless should solve this (rather than 2.4Ghz).