Regency for expats insurance

ponder

Be careful because in the plans that cover for a semi-private room, you will have to pay 20 % of the total bill by yourself in case you do stay in a private room. Not only for the room price but the total bill. This can be an issue since most private hospitals in Thailand only have private rooms. If you wish to receive more information, just drop an e-mail at www.aainsure.net.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 7:58 AM, Matt AA said:

Be careful because in the plans that cover for a semi-private room, you will have to pay 20 % of the total bill by yourself in case you do stay in a private room. Not only for the room price but the total bill. This can be an issue since most private hospitals in Thailand only have private rooms. If you wish to receive more information, just drop an e-mail at www.aainsure.net.

How odd, you'd just expect to pay the difference in the room rate.

I was contacted by a broker fairly recently offering cheap policies with Regency. I enquired simply out of curiosity as I already had a policy. No medical questions and no medical exam. Not required because the broker said (only when asked) they don't cover pre-exiting conditions under any circumstances. So come claim time, you may get a nasty shock.

With my Cigna policy I declared existing medication etc, it went through underwriting process, and no exclusions and no loading. Very good result. So if and when I have to claim, there should not be any nasty surprises. My Cigna Close-Care policy just covers semi-private though, so I don't know how that would be handled if I had a private room.

Be aware, that if you consider subscribing to the Regency for Expats insurance, that it CANNOT be used to meet the mandatory 400K/40K in/out-patient health-insurance requirement when applying for the 1-year extension for reason of retirement based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa. This because Regency for Expats is not a TGIA-associated insurer, which are the only ones that can provide such Non Imm O-A compliant insurance.

On 3/20/2021 at 2:58 PM, Matt AA said:

Yes, it's the reason we switched from Regency For Expats.  My child was admitted to Sukhumvit Hospital (where he's registered) and they only have private rooms, although they are moderately priced. Regency insisted the cover was only for a "semi-private" room.  Eventually they agreed to pay 70% of the costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Cigna normally will cover for a private room if the Hospitals only have private rooms. 
I refer to Cigna Scotland here with i.e. the Close Care plan, Silver plan etc. (as Cigna also recently started offering Thailand based plans).

7 hours ago, Matt AA said:

Cigna normally will cover for a private room if the Hospitals only have private rooms. 
I refer to Cigna Scotland here with i.e. the Close Care plan, Silver plan etc. (as Cigna also recently started offering Thailand based plans).

Thanks - yes the Close Care plan is what I have. Very good value for money and I got a discount that was on offer as well.