Current teaching situation in Bangkok - is it possible to just turn up and look for work?

As of now, with the Covid situation, is it possible to even find work as a teacher (face to face) in Bangkok? I'm not interested in online teaching.

Assuming I can get into the country etc.. would this be realistic?

I'm planning to enter on a Tourist Visa, get a job, and then convert to non-imm visa or whatever is needed. I have Ba degree and Celta so am ok on that side of things. Or is the only of doing it, is to actually get a job in advance and sort out the paperwork in home country (UK)?

Is it still doable? Thanks

Edited by Red-Leonard5

ok, sure, best to get April out of the way first.

but how about converting the visa, as I thought normally you had to leave the country then come back again (ie. to convert TR to non-immig). I guess they are allowing people to do this in-country now due to Covid, or is that just wishful thinking?

Its very difficult to do inside Thailand...

As a teacher do yourself a favor...

Get a teachers contract..

Get the WP3 Thai work permit in cooperation with your school employer...

Have your school contact the Thai Ed Ministry to get your name placed on a list of teachers managed by the Thai Foreign Ministry...

Make application for the Non B visa for teaching ...

The Thai Embassy will look at the approved list and issue you a Non B for teaching and a CoE to enter Thailand.

• Like 2

Yes it's possible, especially if you're OK with teaching in language schools in Bangkok, such as Wall Street, British Council, Westminster, New Cambridge, King's College etc.  They tend to be recruiting all the time and their HR departments will assist with the Non-B/Work permit.

As JayClay says above, get your degree legalised by the UK Legalisation office in Milton Keynes, then certified by the Thai Embassy in London, while you're still in the UK.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
Extra info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes it's possible, especially if you're OK with teaching in language schools in Bangkok, such as Wall Street, British Council, Westminster, New Cambridge, King's College etc.  They tend to be recruiting all the time and their HR departments will assist with the Non-B/Work permit.

As JayClay says above, get your degree legalised by the UK Legalisation office in Milton Keynes, then certified by the Thai Embassy in London, while you're still in the UK.

Good advice to get the documents legalized in London and then certified by the Thai Embassy in London.  Make sure you make additional photocopies of these documents as you can never have enough of them.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JayClay said:

If you want to apply for a Non-B in country then you will need to have a legalized university degree certificate. Do this in the UK before you come here as the British Embassy in Thailand don't provide this service.

How do you mean a 'legalized' degree certificate? I have one, from my University BUT are you saying that some kind of lawyer needs to verify it in home country?

It needs to be notarized, confirmed as legitimate by the UK FCO, then legalized by the Thai Embassy in the UK.

You can take the task on yourself or get a notary firm to deal with it all for you. I was already in Thailand when I needed to do it so I had to courier my documents in both directions and have the notary service deal with everything for me.

There's a good reference for the process here https://medium.com/elliots-blog/want-to-teach-in-thailand-get-your-degrees-legalised-before-leaving-the-uk-79cd8985901a

ok thanks, i've checked that blog out, doesn't look too complex, will start the ball rolling today with that

so, just to be sure, if I manage to get to TL, find a teaching job, then rock up with required docs to immigration etc in Bangkok , with non-legalized degree, this would prevent issuance of non-B visa?  I mean is it 100% needed?

ok, off to solicitor I go, today - get the degree and transcript signed

I've also noticed this from the Thai non-B visa application form:

'Copy of the evidence of education and certificate of employment issued by the foreigner’s former employer(must be translated into English and certified by local andoverseas Embassy and Consulate of the foreigner and by the Legalization Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand'

how about this - 'former employer' - is that needed to get signed and sealed as well, as former employer was in Cambodia (where I can't get in to at present) - will that cause problems?

2 minutes ago, Red-Leonard5 said:

how about this - 'former employer' - is that needed to get signed and sealed as well, as former employer was in Cambodia (where I can't get in to at present) - will that cause problems?

I didn't need one.

3 hours ago, Red-Leonard5 said:

rock up with required docs to immigration etc in Bangkok , with non-legalized degree, this would prevent issuance of non-B visa?  I mean is it 100% needed?

This is Thailand so who knows what will happen tomorrow? But I 100% needed it. If you're applying at a consulate outside of Thailand it's not required, apparently. But that wasn't an option for me due to the pandemic and I guess it won't be an option for you, either... 

You'd think that with the borders still mostly shut, the schools would be begging for teachers. Well, as this term's now nearly up, I've been putting my feelers out for a change. Just anything somewhat decent. Years of experience and an MA. No dice. As the saying goes, I guess it's who you know.

• 1 month later...