Motorcycle Theft

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Not trying to hijack this topic, but is there any way of securing your helmet on a Forza apart from putting it in the topbox?

If it is an high end helmet like the one's being sold in the U.S. cost here would be 20,000 to 25,000 baht, I don't drive anything bigger than my PCX 150, I had a nice helmet 1800 baht, it fits under my seat during rainy season I had my rain gear in the box so I hook it under the lip of the seat came back it was gone they cut the strapped.  The topbox design for a reason if cheap helmet is your thing just leave it hooked the chances of it being hijacked? I got thereafter a 800 baht helmet still have it and I leave it out.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

I read only a few of the post but I think many people forget the following:

Bikes can be put into vans in a few second. Whatever lock you use it will only really help if the bike is locked to something sturdy. 

Nobody needs to sell whole bikes to make money. Stolen bikes contain lots of "spare parts".

Ok, there are fewer Forzas than Waves but they are still not seldom. And I saw many with scratches on them. I am sure many owners will be delighted to get some special discount spare parts.

• Like 2

Heavy heavy duty chain and padlocks to front and back wheels, locked to a post or similar, ideally with an alarm as well.  Go to a big bike shop, they have decent chains!

Edited by Paul DS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wazoo said:

Example? 

I have 6 bikes - all First Class, all on a descending payout as they age.

Takes a few years before they reach 50% of the new price for a total payout.

Don't know who you deal with, but if this is your experience better change companies

• Like 2

11 hours ago, expatjustice said:

Can anyone kindly explain since when a 180,XXX Baht motorcycle is considered expensive? 

lol a little over 5,000 USD...... I thought a expensive bike would be at least 10k onwards......

More like $6000.             'lol'

90% of bikes sold new here are under $2,000. ... 

////////

Farang think too mut.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I read only a few of the post but I think many people forget the following:

Bikes can be put into vans in a few second. Whatever lock you use it will only really help if the bike is locked to something sturdy. 

Nobody needs to sell whole bikes to make money. Stolen bikes contain lots of "spare parts".

Ok, there are fewer Forzas than Waves but they are still not seldom. And I saw many with scratches on them. I am sure many owners will be delighted to get some special discount spare parts.

I agree with you, if they really want your bike then not any lock will do.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lowest-price-113db-bicycle-anti-theft-device-wireless-anti-theft-vibration-motorcycle-waterproof-with-remote-control-safety-i1836626301.html

I got this originally from UK eBay and brought it here, lost the remote, so find it even cheaper on Lazada - see the link.

It works surprisingly well for the price, very loud and easy to program with the remote, battery lasted full two years. Not sure about waterproof, I just put it in glove box or under the seat, not very loud in that case but probably scares away casual thief, or someone who might sit on the bike or touch it.

It first gives a little warning alarm, if touched again it goes off - damn cat doesn't care about the first warning when he jumps on, then it seats with no problem...., clever <deleted>....!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On  a side note, can you buy m/c insurance when you rent a m/c in the event you have an accident or the m/c gets stolen. I have heard stories of unscrupulous motorbike rental shops renting m/c and then stealing the bikes from the renters. They then cash in from the renters who are responsible for the rental bike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

" just buy a cheap old bike , problem solved ."

can't dispute that wisdom. friendgirl insisted on shiny new scoopy 12 with little donut wheels. stolen 2 weeks later. literally pushed out of the yard and gone in 2 minutes

they had talked thai uncle into buying it on finance. thank gawd farang not so daft  ????

anyhoo, i would also like recommendation over the phone sim/ gps tracker? what on market?

p.s. who doesn't want nice ride? unfortunately here. gotta have secure place to lock it at night

Edited by cali4995

As some one has already mentioned watch the lockpick lawyer open padlocks with ease.

Last night I watched on the internet a guy using a Raspberry Pi, a wireless dongle and a remote gate opener to open keycard door locks.

Do keyless cars and bikes use the same system as the door locks?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2021 at 12:03 PM, Moonlover said:

The Forza is keyless isn't it, so you don't have much to worry about. That makes them all but impossible to ride off with. It also means that the ignition switch cannot be replaced without knowing the keycode.

Their relative rarity would also make them an unattractive steal.

Ride on with confidence and enjoy.

where did you gleen this information ?

6 months ago, i lost the remote key for my Honda ADV150 - a guy came out with a laptop.....  over-rode the bike's ECU with a new key code and handed me a new key - 5 mins later the bike was started allowing me to ride home......

36 minutes ago, piston broke said:

will be paying 70% of the bike's value, tops - so hardly anything to write home about ....

Not writing home about anything, A question was asked and I gave an answer.

But meh if it gets stolen, 70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, piston broke said:

where did you gleen this information ?

6 months ago, i lost the remote key for my Honda ADV150 - a guy came out with a laptop.....  over-rode the bike's ECU with a new key code and handed me a new key - 5 mins later the bike was started allowing me to ride home......

I hope you had to provide proof of ownership first.

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

2013 Forza

First Class 5102.83 THB

Pays out 63,000 THB

Bought bike for 40,000 THB

They give 1st class insurance for 8 years old bike....!? I thought that was hard to get here, who's the insurer...?

On 5/23/2021 at 2:04 PM, Moonlover said:

I hope you had to provide proof of ownership first.

Nope - i was in Tesco's car park - i guess i could have been trying to nick it - the guy who came was only interested in the money.....

Just made me reolise how vunerable these "keyless" bikes are .....

• Sad 1

On 3/14/2021 at 11:15 AM, canthai55 said:

Buy First Class Insurance. Keep policy valid

No market for a stolen Forza - or any big bike here mostly.

No one with any sense would buy it if the green book can not be transferred into their name.

A Wave - on the other hand - has a ready market in neighboring countries.

I have a russian friend here, and he knows a guy who´s selling stolen motorbikes with forged green books, for about half the price a regular motobike.

34 minutes ago, piston broke said:

Nope - i was in Tesco's car park - i guess i could have been trying to nick it - the guy who came was only interested in the money.....

Just made me reolise how vunerable these "keyless" bikes are .....

Same thing, but with a KEY, happened to me in sri racha at 3 in the morning once, I lost the key, searched on google maps for lock smith, found a number. 10 minutes later a thai guy comes, makes a new key with a file in 15 minutes. Cost me 100 baht. Honda click 125i.

32 minutes ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

I have a russian friend here, and he knows a guy who´s selling stolen motorbikes with forged green books, for about half the price a regular motobike.

A trip to the DLT would reveal immediately that the book is not legit.

Anyone who gets taken by this scam, well ...