Electricity Tariffs 2021

Siam Banana

Hi People, I am new here and planning to move to Chiang Mai by year end. I am looking at detached houses in Hang Dong and San Sai district. May I know what is the average cost of the electricity in THB/KWH if my usage is over 800kwh all day long. Thank you!

You can check on the PEA (Provincial Electricity Authority) website, but domestic rate averages out at about 4.5 Baht/kWh.

Are you really using 880kWh per day?? That's industrial level (we use about 40kWh per day total). Or are you actually using an average of 800W all day?

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 4:34 AM, Crossy said:

You can check on the PEA (Provincial Electricity Authority) website, but domestic rate averages out at about 4.5 Baht/kWh.

Are you really using 880kWh per day?? That's industrial level (we use about 40kWh per day total). Or are you actually using an average of 800W all day?

Hi Crossy thought just jump in with a question just started checking  the farm govt 5/15 meter and it reads 3740 and 3785 per 24 hours so I take it that's 4.5 units do what would be the cost please.

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

140 units read on meter put in that calculator kWh worked out at 501 baht so I'm not understanding it. ???? 

Like you say " I can EXPLAIN it to you, but I can't UNDERSTAND it for you" ????

It the same with roofing most of the time.

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

As @Crossy posted the calculator. But you can’t get a sensible cost from a single day as the price per unit is on a sliding scale per month.AE37457D-29B2-4562-A454-65CED6496164.jpeg.5569601c1b198d7752be89a8f7f150cb.jpeg

Thanks for that I just wanted to know aprox lecky cost just out of interest because it's so cheap my farmhouse electric is used jointly with the sister in laws shop and she just asks for 50 baht a month.

29 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

140 units read on meter put in that calculator kWh worked out at 501 baht so I'm not understanding it. ???? 

Note that I didn't try to explain the calculator coz I don't understand it either ???? 

The calulator agreeth-not with the bill we got last Friday.

• Thanks 1

The MEA calculator for tariff 1.2 (applies to most households) looks fairly straightforward:

https://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/12

(generally no difference between PEA and MEA)

And 140 units/month shows 504.56 Baht which looks completely plausible.

BUT: be aware that there were some special discounts during the last months.

(for some or all? I lost the details)

These are not worked into the MEA calculator.

E.g. our "all time" record low bill for February:

197 units, 535.80

Normal price from the calculator would be 742.28

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The MEA calculator for tariff 1.2 (applies to most households) looks fairly straightforward:

https://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/12

(generally no difference between PEA and MEA)

And 140 units/month shows 504.56 Baht which looks completely plausible.

BUT: be aware that there were some special discounts during the last months.

(for some or all? I lost the details)

These are not worked into the MEA calculator.

E.g. our "all time" record low bill for February:

197 units, 535.80

Normal price from the calculator would be 742.28

What you post makes me wonder its not really a household because the meter is used on farmland maybe that could that make charges different.

I want to pay my fair share seems I'll have to get a bill off my sis in law.  

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

What you post makes me wonder its not really a household because the meter is used on farmland maybe that could that make charges different.

I want to pay my fair share seems I'll have to get a bill off my sis in law.  

Do you actually have a private sub-meter to verify how much energy is actually used by your bit?

If so, just divide the overall bill by the overall number of units used to get a per-unit cost. Then multiply that by the number of units used by your bit.

If you don't have a sub-meter for your bit, they are cheap ???? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Do you actually have a private sub-meter to verify how much energy is actually used by your bit?

If so, just divide the overall bill by the overall number of units used to get a per-unit cost. Then multiply that by the number of units used by your bit.

If you don't have a sub-meter for your bit, they are cheap ???? 

I haven't got one but thanks for the suggestion.

I now think after the chats I'll get the bill from her and pay it all.

Sis in law only has a couple of strip lights and a fan on in her open road side shop and I have fitted air-con in a sealed room in my farmhouse now which I use for about a hour now its getting into the 40's here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

the meter is used on farmland maybe that could that make charges different.

Is it used for a deep well pump? As far as I know there is indeed a special tariff for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Note that I didn't try to explain the calculator coz I don't understand it either ???? 

The calulator agreeth-not with the bill we got last Friday.

There is another lecky discount.

I am going to have to check our meter as the current bill is zero this is rather strange as the other 2 houses we have on our PEA application have reasonably normal amounts 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:55 AM, Kwasaki said:

Where is the problem? Though I think you got the input slightly wrong.

9DA5F029-9DA2-4A99-9473-CE97DDEAED48.jpeg.42487fbc88decadce15c3849c92f993a.jpeg

I have found that the calculator is almost always correct.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Where is the problem? Though I think you got the input slightly wrong.

9DA5F029-9DA2-4A99-9473-CE97DDEAED48.jpeg.42487fbc88decadce15c3849c92f993a.jpeg

I have found that the calculator is almost always correct.

Well the bill ain't the same.

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well the bill ain't the same.

Rather difficult to analyse without knowing the amount charged, previous months, supply meter (5/15, 15/45) and tariff you are on. It’s quite possible that it should be zero if that’s the normal number of units as the free electric limit was raised to 150 units a while ago, I’m not sure if it’s been dropped back yet.

My domestic property (4 bedroom house) in an agricultural village, i.e. about 100 houses and fields all round, averages out 3.87 Baht per unit on the meter/bill currently, we have paid as much as 4.65 per unit or as little as 2.85 per unit in 15 years here.

Don't know if this will help or not.

13 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Rather difficult to analyse without knowing the amount charged, previous months, supply meter (5/15, 15/45) and tariff you are on. It’s quite possible that it should be zero if that’s the normal number of units as the free electric limit was raised to 150 units a while ago, I’m not sure if it’s been dropped back yet.

The meter is 5/15 supply.

As I quoted Crossy:-

" I now think after the chats I'll get the bill from her and pay it all.

Sis in law only has a couple of strip lights and a fan on in her open road side shop and I have fitted air-con in a sealed room in my farmhouse now which I use for about a hour now its getting into the 40's here."

Thanks for help.

On 3/21/2021 at 3:31 PM, Kwasaki said:

Hi Crossy thought just jump in with a question just started checking  the farm govt 5/15 meter and it reads 3740 and 3785 per 24 hours so I take it that's 4.5 units do what would be the cost please.

When I was doing O level maths, 3785 - 3740 = 45 ! At 4 Bht per unit = (come on, do it in your head)  Bht 180 !

Here is an Excel which may help

ELECTRIC.xlsx

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

When I was doing O level maths, 3785 - 3740 = 45 ! At 4 Bht per unit = (come on, do it in your head)  Bht 180 !

Here is an Excel which may help

ELECTRIC.xlsx 11.86 kB · 0 downloads

Well I did A level mocks. ????

My bad meter reading 374.0

Same time 24 Hrs read 378.5

Left out decimal point but did write 4.5 units used. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I did A level mocks. ????

My bad meter reading 374.0

Same time 24 Hrs read 378.5

Yeah, the last digit on a 5/15 is 1/10ths, 15/45 and above the last digit is whole kWh.

• Like 2

There is a discount that I received on our last bill of approximately 1 baht/kWh.  Not considering the sliding scale charges and just on the simple math of cost divided consumption the amount/kWh on the current bill is 2.9 verses 4.1 on past bills.