Koh Samui Plans to Open to Vaccinated Tourists in Oct

webfact

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

the vaccine stops you dying or getting seriously sick. It does not stop you getting the virus.  And the jury is still out regarding if you can still spread the virus after the vaccine.

The vaccine ''may'' stop you from dying, its not 100% effective!! Long term trials on any of the vaccines have not happened yet.

What I'm curious about is how they will handle the overlap of foreign and domestic travelers, or workers returning home for that matter.

It's easy to say they that they "have own airport, isolating it from the rest of the country ", as per the article. But unless they shut down domestic travel and effectively seal off the island...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maha Sarakham said:

$540 USD for a room I paid ~$330 for a few years ago.

Most things in the world have gone up in the last few years.

And that difference, 540 vs 330, can sometimes be seen when comparing online booking sites.

Edited by KannikaP

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

the vaccine stops you dying or getting seriously sick. It does not stop you getting the virus.  And the jury is still out regarding if you can still spread the virus after the vaccine.

so what would your plan be then?  cuz it seems people like you are never happy, even if people are vaccinated. do you think the whole world should never open again and the whole world should lock themselves in their houses for the rest of their lives.     i bet you're in the im alright jack brigade that this forum seems to get flooded by.   you cant completely eradicate a virus. for the love of god where do you people draw a line under it!!!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

what i wanna know  if its the same criteria as the cut of 7 days of quarantine in bangkok they are proposing if you have been vaccinated within the last 3 months, cuz even that doesnt make much sense.cuz the uk and a lot of europe have started their vaccinations now.  so come october they will be invalid.. why havent thailand said within a year, where are they getting this within 3 months nonsense from? or do they know something we dont and all the vaccines are only good for 3 months?

Edited by paulikens

1 hour ago, Mister MXYZPTLK said:

I live in both Bangkok and Samui.  I travel back and forth weekly.  So let me bring all of you up to date on Samui.  

First:  The Koh Samui airport (USM) is OWNED by BANGKOK AIR.  There are NO INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS allowed.  Bangkok air is the ONLY airline that uses the airport (Thai airways but no longer).  Bangkokair flys both ATR (Turbo props) and Airbus (twin engine Jets) to the island depending on seats required.  ANY international travelers MUST come thru Suvarnbhumi (BKK) Airport so Quarantine must occur in Bangkok.  There was just an announcement that Koh Samui would try to open up for immunized travelers in October BUT they still must enter thru Bangkok first.

Second: In Samui, most tourist areas are decimated.  Most stores are closed or vacated.  Hooters, Hard Rock, Burger King, McDonalds, 711, etc are all shuttered in Chewang Beach.  Other areas of Samui are still functioning, but not crowded.  There is no traffic, Many beautiful hotels and restaurants are open with few customers.  Fisherman’s village is hanging on by a thread but the popular and local restaurants are still functioning.  During a 3 day weekend holiday, the island is busier.

If you’re looking to get out of the city and come to an beach resort which is very easy to get to from Bangkok, try Samui.  It’s a 50 minute flight time compared to 2 hours top Pattaya or 3 hours to Hua Hin.  And the best part is the flights (which were usually expensive on Bangkokair due to their monopoly) are very very inexpensive. Average 1 way fare 2200b.  And of course there are always deals.

So instead of constantly complaining, take advantage of what Thailand has to offer.  When the world conquers the COVID pandemic, things will slowly return to normal.  Just don’t hold your breath! ????

There were International flights to USM that didn't go via BKK. You should know that. That's why it is called Samui International Airport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mister MXYZPTLK said:

Average 1 way fare 2200b.

Yeah but Wife  just paid 1200 to Thai Vietjet air RETURN to go to Phuket BKK, almost  QUARTER  the price, then she stayed at the Marriot as it was incredibly cheap.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

FABULOUS TIMING! Just in time to catch the beginning of the South East Monsoon and the rainy season.
But, then, with all these decisions being made in Bangkok, I don't suppose any of the politicos have much of an idea what happens out in the provinces.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Unlike  Phuket where Wifey has  just returned from she didn't  notice  much of a  drop in room prices when she was  looking recently down there.

ROFL! Low season or no guests, and the Thai-thinking is to whack the prices UP! Have to make up for the drop in income somehow - stands to reason!

2 hours ago, Mister MXYZPTLK said:

I live in both Bangkok and Samui.  I travel back and forth weekly.  So let me bring all of you up to date on Samui.  

First:  The Koh Samui airport (USM) is OWNED by BANGKOK AIR.  There are NO INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS allowed.  Bangkok air is the ONLY airline that uses the airport (Thai airways but no longer).  Bangkokair flys both ATR (Turbo props) and Airbus (twin engine Jets) to the island depending on seats required.  ANY international travelers MUST come thru Suvarnbhumi (BKK) Airport so Quarantine must occur in Bangkok.  There was just an announcement that Koh Samui would try to open up for immunized travelers in October BUT they still must enter thru Bangkok first.

Second: In Samui, most tourist areas are decimated.  Most stores are closed or vacated.  Hooters, Hard Rock, Burger King, McDonalds, 711, etc are all shuttered in Chewang Beach.  Other areas of Samui are still functioning, but not crowded.  There is no traffic, Many beautiful hotels and restaurants are open with few customers.  Fisherman’s village is hanging on by a thread but the popular and local restaurants are still functioning.  During a 3 day weekend holiday, the island is busier.

If you’re looking to get out of the city and come to an beach resort which is very easy to get to from Bangkok, try Samui.  It’s a 50 minute flight time compared to 2 hours top Pattaya or 3 hours to Hua Hin.  And the best part is the flights (which were usually expensive on Bangkokair due to their monopoly) are very very inexpensive. Average 1 way fare 2200b.  And of course there are always deals.

So instead of constantly complaining, take advantage of what Thailand has to offer.  When the world conquers the COVID pandemic, things will slowly return to normal.  Just don’t hold your breath! ????

BRAVO! An informed opinion. Breath of fresh air.

thumb.jpg

4 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

From foreign lands via Suavanabhum.

I didn't think anything but twin turbo props could land there but I may be out of date 

You are out of date, 737's and Airbus 320-family can for example land, and does it.

Direct international routes before Covid-lockdown from/to Hong Kong (daily), Singapore (twice daily), Kuala Lompur (daily) and a number of charter destinations in China. Many areas are within the reach of these aircraft types and the runway length of 2.100 m, allowing range of 3.000 km to 3.700 km.

2 hours ago, Mister MXYZPTLK said:

First:  The Koh Samui airport (USM) is OWNED by BANGKOK AIR.  There are NO INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS allowed.  Bangkok air is the ONLY airline that uses the airport (Thai airways but no longer).  Bangkokair flys both ATR (Turbo props) and Airbus (twin engine Jets) to the island depending on seats required.  ANY international travelers MUST come thru Suvarnbhumi (BKK) Airport so Quarantine must occur in Bangkok.

You are unfortunately out of date. The first direct flight from Singapore after the Covid-lockdown landed the other day.

There were a number of airlines operating to USM (Samui) before the lockdown with direct international flights.

Samui is opened for quarantine (ALQ), at least 10 hotels offers that service.

• Like 1

Really!

A lot of nonsense the Samui Tourism Industry relies on workers from the Issan many of whom have gone home long ago so whether or not those remaining in Samui are all vaccinated will not be enough to open up to International Tourism. The Islands Airport can only accommodate smaller aircraft mainly unsuitable for International tourists 

If these fat cat tourism officials had any knowledge whatsoever of their industry they would not come up with such crackpot schemes. By comparison the Airport of Phuket although on the mainland can accommodate bigger aircraft and such a scheme makes more sense but would still encounter difficulties with travellers from the rest of the country. 

Opening for International Tourists must be on a whole country basis so get on with vaccination programme as soon as vaccines become available.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Fingers crossed it doesn't until we've had our jabs... thank you very much.

I care more about my health than someones holiday.

Think getting back to my wife and daughter is more important than just a holiday. As for jabs, they are freely available in your country of origin, how about going home for a few months to get one ? 

6 hours ago, nickmondo said:

If that is forever held as a reason not to open countries then countries will NEVER open due to variants. You need to take a chance on vaccinated people sooner rather than later - millions are now about to start dying from other reasons than covid, 4 million overdue surgeries and operations in uk, millions now starving due to aid restrictions, millions unemployed. You have to start get on with life.

Do we ban travel to countries where there is a high number of people who refuse the vaccine ? If thailand has say 30% refusal , should it never open ? 

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

If that is forever held as a reason not to open countries then countries will NEVER open due to variants. You need to take a chance on vaccinated people sooner rather than later - millions are now about to start dying from other reasons than covid, 4 million overdue surgeries and operations in uk, millions now starving due to aid restrictions, millions unemployed. You have to start get on with life.

Do we ban travel to countries where there is a high number of people who refuse the vaccine ? If thailand has say 30% refusal , should it never open ?

As @nickmondo wrote ... the jury is still out regarding if you can still spread the virus after the vaccine.

The link to this NewYork Times article might provide some food for thought on that issue:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/health/covid-19-coronavirus-brazil-variant.html

6 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

From foreign lands via Suavanabhum.

I didn't think anything but twin turbo props could land there but I may be out of date 

Yes, sorry, but yes,you are out of date - jets have been able to land at Samui for a few years now!

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

So, international flight arrivals from where???

From the 6 million UK people who are straining to holiday in Thailand. Fleets of aircraft are standing by to wing them to paradise. Don't you pay attention to the Tourist Authority of Thailand press releases?.......????

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

As @nickmondo wrote ... the jury is still out regarding if you can still spread the virus after the vaccine.

The link to this NewYork Times article might provide some food for thought on that issue:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/health/covid-19-coronavirus-brazil-variant.html

The most meaningful thing in that link is , quote 'And laboratory experiments suggest that P.1 could weaken the protective effect of a Chinese vaccine now in use in Brazil.'

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Fingers crossed it doesn't until we've had our jabs... thank you very much.

I care more about my health than someones holiday.

Then think twice about the jab as at the moment things are not going well stay clear of astra veneca ????????????????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

So, international flight arrivals from where???

From everywher arriving at suvarnabumi and staying behind customs flying directly to samui . If they don't come treu customs it's still considered a international flight IMO . 

14 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

From everywher arriving at suvarnabumi and staying behind customs flying directly to samui . If they don't come treu customs it's still considered a international flight IMO . 

This is how Samui handled most International flights years ago. CIQ through Bangkok Airport and then customs on Samui.

Then, when they could not handle the volume of people on Samui, passengers would go through customs in Bangkok with a domestic transfer.

However, all direct International flights process customs on landing on Samui. (There is even a Duty Free Shop at Samui airport! ????)

3 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

This is how Samui handled most International flights years ago. CIQ through Bangkok Airport and then customs on Samui.

Then, when they could not handle the volume of people on Samui, passengers would go through customs in Bangkok with a domestic transfer.

However, all direct International flights process customs on landing on Samui. (There is even a Duty Free Shop at Samui airport! ????)

I know that's why people don't need to go threu customs at suvan and just stay behind it and be handled at samui . The customs and duty free at samui is because there are international flights arriving directly at samui .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Think getting back to my wife and daughter is more important than just a holiday. As for jabs, they are freely available in your country of origin, how about going home for a few months to get one ? 

My country of origin is the UK... the last place on the planet I want to go...

thank you very much