At least 39 reported killed in Myanmar as Chinese factories burn

webfact

At least 39 reported killed in Myanmar as Chinese factories burn

2021-03-14T144155Z_1_LYNXMPEH2D0AE_RTROPTP_4_MYANMAR-POLITICS.JPG
People flash a three-finger salute as they take part in an anti-coup night protest at Hledan junction in Yangon, Myanmar, March 14, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer

(Reuters) - Security forces killed at least 22 anti-coup protesters in the poor, industrial Hlaingthaya suburb of Myanmar's main city on Sunday after Chinese-financed factories were set ablaze there, an advocacy group said.

A further 16 protesters were killed in other places, the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP) said, as well as one policeman, making it the bloodiest day since the Feb. 1 coup against elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

The Chinese embassy said many Chinese staff were injured and trapped in arson attacks by unidentified assailants on garment factories in Hlaingthaya and that it had called on Myanmar to protect Chinese property and citizens. China is viewed as being supportive of the military junta that has taken power.

As plumes of smoke rose from the industrial area, security forces opened fire on protesters in the suburb that is home to migrants from across the country, local media said.

"It was horrible. People were shot before my eyes. It will never leave my memory," said one photojournalist on the scene who did not want to be named.

Martial law was imposed in Hlaingthaya and another district of Yangon, Myanmar's commercial hub and former capital, state media announced.

Myanmar security forces opened fire on anti-coup protesters in the commercial capital Yangon on Sunday, and at least three people were killed, witnesses and domestic media said. Edward Baran reports.

Army-run Myawadday television said security forces acted after four garment factories and a fertiliser plant were set ablaze and about 2,000 people had stopped fire engines from reaching them.

A junta spokesman did not answer calls requesting comment.

Doctor Sasa, a representative of elected lawmakers from the assembly that was ousted by the army, voiced solidarity with the people of Hlaingthaya.

"The perpetrators, attackers, enemies of the people of Myanmar, the evil SAC (State Administrative Council) will be held accountable for every drop of blood that shed," he said in a message.

The latest deaths would bring the toll from the protests to 126, the AAPP said. It said more than 2,150 people had been detained by Saturday. More than 300 have since been released.

CHINA CALLED FOR ACTION

China's embassy described the situation as "very severe" after the attacks on the Chinese-financed factories. It did not make a statement about the killings.

"China urges Myanmar to take further effective measures to stop all acts of violence, punish the perpetrators in accordance with the law and ensure the safety of life and property of Chinese companies and personnel in Myanmar," its statement said.

No group claimed responsibility for burning the factories.

The embassy's Facebook page was bombarded with negative comments in Myanmar language and more than half the reactions - over 29,000 - used the laughing-face emoji.

Anti-Chinese sentiment has risen since the coup that plunged Myanmar into turmoil, with opponents of the army takeover noting Beijing's muted criticism compared to Western condemnation.

Only two factories had been burnt for now, protest leader Ei Thinzar Maung posted on Facebook.

"If you want to do business in Myanmar stably, then respect Myanmar people," she said. "Fighting Hlaingthaya, we are proud of you!!"

The United Nations Special Envoy for Myanmar condemned what she termed the "ongoing brutality".

Christine Schraner Burgener said she had "personally heard from contacts in Myanmar heartbreaking accounts of killings, mistreatment of demonstrators and torture of prisoners over the weekend".

The repression undermined the prospects for peace and stability, she said, appealing to the international community support the people of Myanmar and their democratic aspirations.

Britain, Myanmar's former colonial ruler, said it was appalled by the security forces' use of deadly force against innocent people in Hlaingthaya and elsewhere.

"We call for an immediate cessation of this violence and for the military regime to hand back power to those democratically elected by the people of Myanmar," British Ambassador Dan Chugg said.

The army said it took power after its accusations of fraud in a Nov. 8 election won by Suu Kyi's party were rejected by the electoral commission. It has promised to hold a new election, but has not set a date.

Suu Kyi has been detained since the coup and is due to return to court on Monday. She faces at least four charges, including the illegal use of walkie-talkie radios and infringing coronavirus protocols.

Away from Hlaingthaya, at least 16 deaths were reported elsewhere in Myanmar, including in the second city of Mandalay and in Bago, where state television MRTV said a police officer had died of a chest wound after a confrontation with protesters.

He is the second policeman reported dead in the protests.

The violence took place a day after Mahn Win Khaing Than, who is on the run along with most senior officials from the Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy Party, said the civilian government would give people the legal right to defend themselves. It announced a law to that effect on Sunday.

(Reporting by Reuters staff; Writing by Raju Gopalakrishnan and Matthew Tostevin; Editing by William Mallard, Tom Hogue, David Clarke and Angus MacSwan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-03-15

• Sad 5

40 minutes ago, PaulDee said:

The Reuters' report fails to mention Thailand, Myanmar's closest neighbor.  If China is supporting the Myanmar junta, and the west is supporting democratic factions, where does Thailand stand?

Thailand stands on the boarder doing Zilch, while the slaughter continues. And the RTA has not got the balls to go in , in fact would turn people back around and send them to certain death or torture they wouldn't want to upset their Chinese buddies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Just a few Days ago, the Chinese Charge d, fair here in Thailand was pretty insistent apparently during a Meeting with Anutin , that some of the Chinese Vaccines supplied to Thailand were to be used on resident Chinese Citizens in the Country.

China is wielding a very big stick at the moment across the whole region of S E Asia.

Who in their right mind would go to bed with somebody that will cut your B@@lS off.

Those who strive for self enrichment above the needs of the nation, because later when China rule the roost they will be in the lap of luxury elsewhere.

• Like 2

When I look at what is going on in Myanmar, I see many similarities with Thailand, especially the reasons for the protests and the China involvement.

Let's just hope that the subject of the OP, doesn't come to a neighbourhood near you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

four garment factories and a fertiliser plant were set ablaze

Very sad for the innocent Burmese people, but as far as the Chinese businesses are concerned - in the words of the pop song by "Ash" :-

Burn Baby, Burn!!

BurnAshOne.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, simon43 said:

Well, I can see where this is heading.  Chinese businesses side with the military, more violence against those businesses, China sends troops to protect their interests, huge and violent clampdown by China/Myanmar military against civilians, Myanmar becomes yet another Chinese province in all but name - China achieves its goal........

Correct.

This is Method#14 in the CCP handbook on gaining dominance in sovereign nations without actually invading. 

There are actually another 27 additional methods beyond this one. All are tested and proven over hundreds of years to further their ultimate goal: total global domination. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Correct.

This is Method#14 in the CCP handbook on gaining dominance in sovereign nations without actually invading. 

There are actually another 27 additional methods beyond this one. All are tested and proven over hundreds of years to further their ultimate goal: total global domination. 

I don't really like 'whataboutism' at all. But all this anti-China stuff with zero foundation gets tedious. I understand that people are getting frightened of China because it is in the ascendancy and so far the sky's not even the limit. It will become immeasurably more powerful than the US ever was. The US is already losing influence rapidly, and Trump was merely an accelerant in that respect.

Neither the US nor most other western countries have any reason to be holier than thou. The western path is also strewn with the blood and tortured pain of millions who only wanted independence from their 'civilized' tormentors and their own version of democracy.

Africa? China's treated African countries a lot better than Britain ever did.

China's coming. Better make friends with them then you won't need to be frightened any more.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

7 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Sorry. I disagree with all of your points.

First, I was responding specifically "about" Chinese aggression and domination. Without foundation? Surely you jest. The CCP is a brutally repressive regime that gets worse daily. 

To equate the USA to the CCP in terms of unbridled repression, surveillance, privacy, personal freedom, and humanitarian gestures is laughably ludicrous. In fact many nations have good reason to be holier than thou relative to China. 

What I tire of is folks like you and your whataboutism regarding other countries' past actions. That was then and this is now. Right now the whole world is awakening to the Chinese threat. 

Getting frightened? There are multiple reasons to be concerned with Chinese policy and goals. I have understood and followed China's rise and tactics for decades, not just recently.  My opinion has only strengthened. 

Make friends? By this you mean to welcome their domination because you consider it inevitable? Inexcusable show of fearful weakness is what that is. The CCP doesn't want 'friends', it wants dominance. 

I am a confirmed sinophobe and your arguments move me not at all. Maybe you're ready to lick the jack boot at your throat but I'm not. 

You're welcome to disagree. But aggression is aggression, no matter who practices it.

China is not a threat, it is a rival. We can be friends and still set firm boundaries. Being concerned - as I am - is no excuse for aggressive rhetoric. Rhetoric actually based on fear and hate. That's a one way street. Respect them if you want them to respect you.

I'm not defending China, or the CCP. How could I? But most comments here go on about what China 'will' do. No-one knows that. And they are all comments from frightened people who think confrontation is the right way cos that'll show 'em. We're the good guys! A few billion would beg to differ, whatever they might also think of China. And you won't 'win' this one. An American uncle of mine said to me one time as I was shaping up for a scrap, "You know, doesn't matter how hard you are, there's always someone harder". Time to wise up - China will probably dwarf the US and the west, probably within our lifetimes. We've got to have policies in place to deal with it maturely or they will just simply dominate.

By the way I have a proven track record of not bootlicking. No-one from China has one on my throat either. I'm neither yankophobe nor sinophobe. I'm not frightened of either of you. But I am concerned about both.

If you have a phobia get help - it means you are frightened. Just waiting for someone to whip you up into the next war of choice. You sound ripe for it.

That's how they work pal! The Chinese are doing it as well - we have to be smarter.

Why not risk standing up for decency and humanity back home, rather than pointing an angry, frightened, raging, impotent finger at a billion people whose language I suspect you don't even speak. 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, BusyB said:

You're welcome to disagree. But aggression is aggression, no matter who practices it.

China is not a threat, it is a rival. We can be friends and still set firm boundaries. Being concerned - as I am - is no excuse for aggressive rhetoric. Rhetoric actually based on fear and hate. That's a one way street. Respect them if you want them to respect you.

I'm not defending China, or the CCP. How could I? But most comments here go on about what China 'will' do. No-one knows that. And they are all comments from frightened people who think confrontation is the right way cos that'll show 'em. We're the good guys! A few billion would beg to differ, whatever they might also think of China. And you won't 'win' this one. An American uncle of mine said to me one time as I was shaping up for a scrap, "You know, doesn't matter how hard you are, there's always someone harder". Time to wise up - China will probably dwarf the US and the west, probably within our lifetimes. We've got to have policies in place to deal with it maturely or they will just simply dominate.

By the way I have a proven track record of not bootlicking. No-one from China has one on my throat either. I'm neither yankophobe nor sinophobe. I'm not frightened of either of you. But I am concerned about both.

If you have a phobia get help - it means you are frightened. Just waiting for someone to whip you up into the next war of choice. You sound ripe for it.

That's how they work pal! The Chinese are doing it as well - we have to be smarter.

Why not risk standing up for decency and humanity back home, rather than pointing an angry, frightened, raging, impotent finger at a billion people whose language I suspect you don't even speak. 

Are you  a ghost writer paid by the CCP? :)  I'm not afraid just an observer and I notice things happening. The health of the earth (pollution wise) is better of without the CCP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Are you  a ghost writer paid by the CCP? ???? I'm not afraid just an observer and I notice things happening. The health of the earth (pollution wise) is better of without the CCP.

No I'm definitely not 555.

I've just been around a bit and understood that SELF-awareness is the key not blame and projection. That just makes enemies and strife.

The health of the earth would be better off without quite a few countries' governments, especially in the 'west'. We've just witnessed 4 years of ecological vandalism by the world's most powerful (still) country haven't we?

And whatever China is doing, the last jackboot I saw was on a black man's neck choking him to death in the US. With a whole bunch of people stood by doing nothing including fellow 'officers'.

Just now, BusyB said:

I've just been around a bit and understood that SELF-awareness is the key not blame and projection. That just makes enemies and strife.

The health of the earth would be better off without quite a few countries' governments, especially in the 'west'. We've just witnessed 4 years of ecological vandalism by the world's most powerful (still) country haven't we?

And whatever China is doing, the last jackboot I saw was on a black man's neck choking him to death in the US. With a whole bunch of people stood by doing nothing including fellow 'officers'.

You are correct, the worst offenders are the counties that have a Veto right within the UN.  :( 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Mate, think you need to go around a few more times.

• Haha 1

Finally, the Myanmar people have learned the Chinese are not their friends. So happy to seem the Myanmar people, sending a strong message to the Chinese in their country, it's time to get out.

More action is needed by the people of Myanmar against Chinese citizens, businesses, and interests. Throw out all the Chinese and anyone else that support the military coup.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Finally, the Myanmar people have learned the Chinese are not their friends. So happy to seem the Myanmar people, sending a strong message to the Chinese in their country, it's time to get out.

More action is needed by the people of Myanmar against Chinese citizens, businesses, and interests. Throw out all the Chinese and anyone else that support the military coup.

HUH:
did u know that the Chinese government is a  strong supporter of Aung San??

You can not place Chinese business, citizen's in the same group as a misguided government.

I am NOT a Chinese domination fan and condemn with their veto in the UN of the UN not taking a stand against the Junta

please take the time and read this article>

https://asiatimes.com/2021/03/chinas-interests-going-up-in-flames-in-myanmar/?mc_cid=8416875e7a&mc_eid=