Why is the air so bad?

jimgilly

One poster mentioned Bang Na Trad road. Around Km 15 there are several construction sites, land filling and site leveling underway, trucks entering and leaving are leaving kilometer long trails of land fill on the road. Passing traffic is causing a huge dust problem (Pm2.5 not only from vehicle exhaust). Where are the pollution control authorities? Controlling it at source is the most sensible method. Most good construction contractors require covered loads and wheel washing facilities for all trucks plus dust control on the site. Where are the pollution control authorities, maybe sitting in their air conditioined offices?

Biggest reason?

No rain.

6 years ago it was so bad, I was making plans to leave Northern Thailand and chill on Koh Chang. 

In one day, the AQI dropped dramatically, presumably because of rain in Myanmar had drenched the slash & burn fires.

If you can afford it and live in Issan or Northern Thailand, I'd plan on shooting down to the islands for some fresher air this time of year. ????

• Like 2

On 3/15/2021 at 8:11 AM, tonray said:

People burning #$$% that ends up as particulate matter in the air...it's not rocket science

Add to that smoke belching, factories, trains, buses, cars, motorcycles, construction sites, a million morning BBQ's lighting up... you start to get an idea.

• Like 2

The air is actually not too bad in Chiang Rai at present, I'm reading PM 2.5 81. Last year, there were counts of 450.

I just crank up one of my two air purifiers at low speed so I sleep in clean air at night, that gets the readout back to 35.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:01 AM, Lacessit said:

The air is actually not too bad in Chiang Rai at present

The Times They Are a-Changin' ...

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1212153-excessive-pm25-chiang-rai-with-430-microns-reported-in-wiang-pang-kham/

image.png.1d1fd24b1412d1b7b27cc08a8a5a85c1.png

https://www.iqair.com/thailand/chiang-rai

But northern Isaan not much better

image.png.76c04e4637af4b74e8c5a37527342cd5.png

https://aqicn.org/here

I work at a weather station and I actually think we have no idea. Some say the cars, some say China, some say farmers burning sxxx up but I'm not convinced. And I ain't gonna dig deeper into this because it seems nobody don't wanna fund my research.

Edited by Armmine
correct typo

• 2 weeks later...