Travel Insurance - *Repatriation *

Gabe H Coud

Looking for feedback from anyone who has got sick whilst travelling and their Travel Insurance company has simply told them to go home! And especially if they have challenged that 'recommendation'.

Clearly that's just a very easy way for the insurer to get out of their liabilities and get the risk off their desks. 

Not really what the traveller expected or wanted when they took the policy out. 

When it comes to important big surgeries, that need doing sooner rather than later, I can see the argument. 

But not for the investigations that would determine that.(Emergency surgery should be covered of course)

Hopefully these companies must be held accountable at some point as to whether they are being reasonable 

Any help appreciated. 

I think it is very difficult for anybody to give you assistance with this limited information. It really depends on the kind of policy you have and especially the general conditions. I can only say that it does not sound very weird. A lot of travel insurers only cover for medical emergencies so maybe that is the reason why the investigations are not covered.... 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 3:38 PM, Gabe H Coud said:

Hopefully these companies must be held accountable at some point as to whether they are being reasonable 

It all depends on what you perceive as being reasonable and these companies can be held accountable through due process.

At the end of the day it all boils down to if you read what you are and are not covered for, the fine print and whether they are a reputable company.

I always take travel insurance, only time I made a claim was with a partner decades ago when she fell ill and needed hospitalisation, they told me what to do and I did and when I returned, sent them all the letters and receipts and was fully reimbursed, remember telling them the only accommodation I could find was a 5 star hotel as we were in transit and had no intention on staying in that country but the doctor said a weeks rest before travelling further, and they said fine, naturally she rested at night after a big day out checking all the sites/restaurants etc etc, meals were also reimbursed.

It is in any insurers' interests not to pay! We may be diligent in reading the fine print written in obscure legalese but I've never seen a contract which makes the conditions clear to the buyer.

My interest is how medical insurance for re-entry will play out for Non-O holders. Many of us are too old to purchase it & remain self-uninsured.

This requirement may be dropped for genuine tourists who have been vaccinated. As insurance is already glued in to O-A, I worry govt won't drop it for those of us who live here,