Golf Shops Bangkok

Neeranam

I bought my last set of Irons at AllStar golf complex. It shows up on Google maps.

Its a really good set up, with a number of shops attached to a big driving range. They have (had, at least pre-covid - can't confirm what its like now) shops for many of the major brands such as Titleist, Ping, Callaway, Taylor Made etc. and they all allowed me to try clubs on the range. I must have spent 2 or 3 afternoons there hitting various options before I finally chose the set I wanted. The shops all looked bona-fide to me, although I'm no expert. My set of Callaways have been fine, about 7 years old now with no problems. 

The only downside is that (depending on where you live of course) it was a real pain to get to for me. Major traffic.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 4:09 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Fakes are a problem, copies look good these days. Could buy second hand, try Facebook marketplace, often have sets there

Any easy to check for Fakes? 

How about Thanyiya Plaza, surely they would be genuine? 

54 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Any easy to check for Fakes? 

How about Thanyiya Plaza, surely they would be genuine? 

I recall someone asked the same question a while back and the answer was Callaway hasn't got an official distributor in there but they were being sold. I've seen fake titleist wedges that look good on AliExpress. A friend bought some fake pings on Lazada, look good

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I recall someone asked the same question a while back and the answer was Callaway hasn't got an official distributor in there but they were being sold. I've seen fake titleist wedges that look good on AliExpress. A friend bought some fake pings on Lazada, look good

My mother bought Callaway shirts for 100 baht each and said they were better quality than the real ones. 

I expect the Fakes aren't as good, but may be wrong. 

Unless professional or very low handicapper, i would doubt the average golfer would be able to tell any difference playing with original or "fake" clubs. If anyone is interested in buying good quality second hand  golf gear, there's a Japanese second hand shop near Prakhanong BTS in Bangkok, next to Starbucks. Although second hand, the equipment is in good condition and can pick up a nice bag, set of irons, driver and fairway wood for not more than Baht 10,000. I got a set of Taylor Made irons with covers. Can't see any serial numbers and don't know if genuine but they feel good to play with. Downside is you can't try them out before you buy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ecky said:

Unless professional or very low handicapper, i would doubt the average golfer would be able to tell any difference playing with original or "fake" clubs. If anyone is interested in buying good quality second hand  golf gear, there's a Japanese second hand shop near Prakhanong BTS in Bangkok, next to Starbucks. Although second hand, the equipment is in good condition and can pick up a nice bag, set of irons, driver and fairway wood for not more than Baht 10,000. I got a set of Taylor Made irons with covers. Can't see any serial numbers and don't know if genuine but they feel good to play with. Downside is you can't try them out before you buy. 

There was a problem with these Japanese 2nd hand shops a few years ago, the clubs were radioactive, sent from near where that power station blew up. 

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2021 at 4:17 AM, Sujo said:

You need to get fitted for golf clubs. Most courses will have a fitter.

If he is a single figure handicap, yes. Otherwise, a decent second hand set is all the OP needs.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ecky said:

Apparently Callaway is the most frequently counterfeited brand. I don't think Titleist gets copied very often, that brand aims at the low handicap and professional players.

I was once fitted with a set of Acer irons. It's a clone of the Callaway, comes out of the same factory. I checked them against the corresponding Callaway, and really could not tell any different. Played with them for about ten years, until I switched to graphite shafts. About 30% cheaper than the callaway version.

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If he is a single figure handicap, yes. Otherwise, a decent second hand set is all the OP needs.

I'm not but cold be with the best clubs and a lot of practice. I am semi-retired so have more time to dedicate to the game. One thing I need is long clubs as I've been using ones that are too short for 20 years. I am 6'4".

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm not but cold be with the best clubs and a lot of practice. I am semi-retired so have more time to dedicate to the game. One thing I need is long clubs as I've been using ones that are too short for 20 years. I am 6'4".

The problem with longer clubs is they create more margin of error, it's a clubhead control issue.

Nick Faldo is 6'3", and he uses standard length clubs. Admittedly a 7-iron looks like a toothpick in his hands.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The problem with longer clubs is they create more margin of error, it's a clubhead control issue.

Nick Faldo is 6'3", and he uses standard length clubs. Admittedly a 7-iron looks like a toothpick in his hands.

The length doesnt vary too much no matter height. Shaft flex and lie angle does.

if you shoot under 100 you need fitted otherwise will drive you nuts.

For kids, never ever buy longer clubs and think they will grow into them, the length and weight will deform their muscles.

Getting fitted costs very little, usually its free if you buy from them, but they need to be good fitters. If you play one or two times a year for fun then dont bother. If a couple of times a month then get fitted.

Or, pay a small amount for fitting then go to other shops with your specs until you get a cheap price.

I dont play much now, only coach. 15 years ago i got fitted for ping and ordered direct from the factory in US, they delivered within a week to oz at a golf club, paid the local a few dollars and off i went.

Now Im a titleist sponsored player, even though i dont play, they give me a set every year, 3 pairs of shoes, 6 hats, 9 pants, 15 shirts.

Havent played for over 2 years, would love to but a bad back and the yips drives me crazy. I get joy from the players i coach, pros, top ams or beginners, just love seeing people enjoy the game.

So if its just the odd game dont worry, grab anything and go. But beware, you may get hooked on a weekly game and life will be over for you.

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

The length doesnt vary too much no matter height. Shaft flex and lie angle does.

if you shoot under 100 you need fitted otherwise will drive you nuts.

For kids, never ever buy longer clubs and think they will grow into them, the length and weight will deform their muscles.

Getting fitted costs very little, usually its free if you buy from them, but they need to be good fitters. If you play one or two times a year for fun then dont bother. If a couple of times a month then get fitted.

Or, pay a small amount for fitting then go to other shops with your specs until you get a cheap price.

I dont play much now, only coach. 15 years ago i got fitted for ping and ordered direct from the factory in US, they delivered within a week to oz at a golf club, paid the local a few dollars and off i went.

Now Im a titleist sponsored player, even though i dont play, they give me a set every year, 3 pairs of shoes, 6 hats, 9 pants, 15 shirts.

Havent played for over 2 years, would love to but a bad back and the yips drives me crazy. I get joy from the players i coach, pros, top ams or beginners, just love seeing people enjoy the game.

So if its just the odd game dont worry, grab anything and go. But beware, you may get hooked on a weekly game and life will be over for you.

At age 77, I'm still playing 3 times a week. Perhaps I should count myself lucky. Can still walk 9 holes, 18 has consequences if I don't take a golf cart. Have to compensate for declining length with a good short game. Use the forward tees, and don't care what anyone thinks. I'm out there to enjoy myself.

Been playing golf for 64 years now, greatest game ever invented. Had the yips for about a year when I was in my prime, can't remember how I got rid of them.

Some people have targets, such as winning handicap events. Mine always was the scratch amateur competitions, such as club and district championships.

My target now is to break my age, have done it once on a short course. Shoot a lot of rounds that are one or two strokes away.

Perhaps the OP would like to know golf is the only sport recommended by cardiologists for their patients.

Apparently Bryson DeChambeau is very unusual in his club fitting, all his irons are the same length up to a lob wedge. Weird.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

There was a problem with these Japanese 2nd hand shops a few years ago, the clubs were radioactive, sent from near where that power station blew up. 

Blimey you can't make this up. Paranoid or what? 

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

At age 77, I'm still playing 3 times a week. Perhaps I should count myself lucky. Can still walk 9 holes, 18 has consequences if I don't take a golf cart. Have to compensate for declining length with a good short game. Use the forward tees, and don't care what anyone thinks. I'm out there to enjoy myself.

Been playing golf for 64 years now, greatest game ever invented. Had the yips for about a year when I was in my prime, can't remember how I got rid of them.

Some people have targets, such as winning handicap events. Mine always was the scratch amateur competitions, such as club and district championships.

My target now is to break my age, have done it once on a short course. Shoot a lot of rounds that are one or two strokes away.

Perhaps the OP would like to know golf is the only sport recommended by cardiologists for their patients.

Apparently Bryson DeChambeau is very unusual in his club fitting, all his irons are the same length up to a lob wedge. Weird.

My mother still play 3 times a week and is 80 this year. She started age 60. 

I've played for as long as I can remember and lived very close to 3 golf courses. I've never had a lesson in my life but want to take some. 

My brother is Colin Montgomery's only friend ???? and gets me lots of free stuff but I don't want to ask  for a set of clubs to be sent here. 

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Great attitude and still enjoying the game, love that. Beer helps my yips, played a few asian senior tour events about 7 years ago but so annoying not playing like i used to. Perhaps i should just go play with some mates for a laugh and stop being so hard on myself.

You sir, are a legend to shoot your age. Well done.

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've played for as long as I can remember and lived very close to 3 golf courses. I've never had a lesson in my life but want to take some. 

My brother is Colin Montgomery's only friend ???? and gets me lots of free stuff but I don't want to ask  for a set of clubs to be sent here. 

Thats hilarious about montgomery. One of my students played with him in a johnny walker event about 20 or so years ago. Said he was a good laugh. Somehow i didnt believe him. Never seen mrs doubtfire smile.

For a lesson, just get the basics right, dont over analyse it. We aint young enough for big changes.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It is very worthwhile to get lessons. My golf was in the doldrums in my mid-fifties, I had developed several faults. Grip and alignment, mostly. I had lessons from a teaching pro, Duncan Moodie.   He had me doing some drills I thought were crazy, until I saw what was behind them. Three weeks after the last lesson, I won a 54 hole amateur tournament. 74-75-72.

I still use some of the practice drills Duncan taught me. RIP Duncan, he died of malaria in Kota Kinabalu.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

Great attitude and still enjoying the game, love that. Beer helps my yips, played a few asian senior tour events about 7 years ago but so annoying not playing like i used to. Perhaps i should just go play with some mates for a laugh and stop being so hard on myself.

You sir, are a legend to shoot your age. Well done.

Thank you for the kind words. My idol is Keith McPherson, at one time in the Guinness Book of Records for breaking his age. Good golf genes there, his grandson Bryden McPherson won the British Amateur in 2011.

i played with Keith in one club championship, when he was 76. Back tees, winter, miserable conditions. he shot 75-74-76, and was only two shots off the pace. Simplest golf swing I've ever seen.

Beer reminds me of Ossie Pickworth, who won the Irish Open and four Australian Opens. Apparently he could not step onto the first tee without a couple of whiskies in him.

46 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Beer reminds me of Ossie Pickworth, who won the Irish Open and four Australian Opens. Apparently he could not step onto the first tee without a couple of whiskies in him.

That reminds me of the Special brew tournament we had. The winner of the each hole had to down a can of special brew. My friend a scratch golfer was the favourite but couldn't handle it after winning the first couple of holes. 

Bill Wurbineck the snooker player needed a few pints before playing and one every frame. 

27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

That reminds me of the Special brew tournament we had. The winner of the each hole had to down a can of special brew. My friend a scratch golfer was the favourite but couldn't handle it after winning the first couple of holes. 

Bill Wurbineck the snooker player needed a few pints before playing and one every frame. 

Funniest thing i think I've ever seen on a golf course was a Christmas breakup of nine holes at the Wanaka golf course in NZ. I couldn't play because I had just had carpal tunnel surgery. It consisted of EVERY player downing a shot of Jagermeister ( revolting stuff ) on each tee.

By the seventh hole, one guy attempted to tee his ball up, and did a face plant instead.

• Haha 1