Cost of building house in village vs buying in development in expat/tourist town?

This may be a stupid question.............

So I was looking at listings in Hua Hin and saw houses I liked in the 5-7mil baht range(example links attached)

Now, my question is, would building the same type of house be significantly cheaper in a village? 

Or does it not matter, because materials/labor would be the same?

My thought is that the house is an expat/tourist area is inflated, so it might be much cheaper building similar in the village?

Thanks for any replies, I have always wondered that.............

https://pro-real-estate.com/property/aria-hua-hin-luxury-3-bed-pool-villa-off-plan/

https://pro-real-estate.com/property/the-heights-2/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Land cost would be far cheaper in the village and no developer fees if you build yourself...just remember, a village house is practically worthless if you fall split with your partner or fall out with the locals

Land costs in her village aren't as cheap as other places 

And hard to get just 3 rai

Usually only sold in big parcels 

We just saw 3 rai for reasonable 400k but was sold 

Thanks 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, marc26 said:

Land costs in her village aren't as cheap as other places 

And hard to get just 3 rai

Usually only sold in big parcels 

We just saw 3 rai for reasonable 400k but was sold 

Thanks 

Land costs are certainly less expensive in her village compared to somewhere like HuaHin....far less expensive.   The first home you link to is built on just over 1/4 rai.  A 3 rai buildable plot in Huahin would be very expensive.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I doubt there's a single Thai builder outside of a major city that digs foundations as deep as farang. Just because your house is still standing doesn't mean it always will. 10 years or so may be the test....

You should have seen the size of the footings for our extension, 4 metres wide with a tin roof. Could have built a 4 storey building on them.

• Like 2

Building a decent western-style 200 square metre house would cost you at least 2.5 - 3.5 million Baht. As others have said, you can use a full time building company from the nearest big city to ensure you get adequate quality.

If you can find a decent local builder you may pay less, but you will need to be involved a a lot more selecting the fittings (tiles, bathroom fixtures, kitchen cabinets). This means the house and fittings will be more individualised to your taste.

The contract will normally specify the cost per room (e.g. 750 Baht per square metre for tiles, 30,000 Baht for fittings in the main bathroom etc. - these are higher end costs). You will select the various items..

These costs are without a pool. This will be an expensive addition if you want to add one later (maybe 400,000 Baht).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

As others have said, you can use a full time building company from the nearest big city to ensure you get adequate quality.

If you can find a decent local builder you may pay less, but you will need to be involved a a lot more selecting the fittings (tiles, bathroom fixtures, kitchen cabinets). This means the house and fittings will be more individualised to your taste.

I wonder how the locals would react if you hire builders from "outside".

Personally I have no experience with this but the way I understand Thais I wouldn't be surprised if the locals wouldn't like if you hire outsiders.

• Like 2

It should be cheaper to buy your own, but of course it's not just about the money.

We designed and our own home built and I have to say it was one of the most satisfying and pleasurable experiences of my life. Ploughing through hundreds of plans online and not finding any that ticked all of our boxes was just the start. We found one that had nearly everything we thought we wanted but even then when our then prospective builder showed us a couple of places that were coming to completion we got more ideas. We made lots of changes to the original plans and got the architect to produce sets of plans accordingly.

We discovered that Mrs BM made an incredible project manager and negotiator for all of the materials. We've been in our new hope nearly six years now and really love it.

• Like 2

For me the 2 biggest differences are

• Gated security front entrance villages typically have tiny gardens, you can almost touch your next door neighbor they are so close
  • Owning a standalone plot of land, has some security issues, but you will have far more land to use for garden or veggies etc.

We’re currently in a gated village and been here for last 12 years, we want more space now we’re both older, and we have more time to spend relaxing rather than working 24/7

Will you have any young kids running around?, A gated village is great for that, you can kick them out the house  and not worry where they go, as they always stay inside the village.

2 hours ago, Speedhump said:

10 years or so may be the test....

I was surprised how deep they dug and mostly by hand... very solid foundation... no signs of problems and that 17 years ago... and 6 hours drive from Bkk... maybe just lucky but I know others in the area w/similar luck... and don't think I know anyone who had problems.. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how the locals would react if you hire builders from "outside".

I am sure it would not have been an issue for us.. the larger issue would have been that someone outside the area would have wanted significantly more for the inconvenience. We got a quality build locally. 

I don't know what building costs are now. 6 years ago, my GF and I had a comfortable 2br house built on land in her village left to her by her mother. All up, including aircons, insect screens and furnishings, 750,000 baht.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Sounds like farang prices? If they know she is married to you, price will be much higher.

No, her village and province, Suphan Buri, is one of the best areas for rice.........has 3 harvests

Land prices have always been high there...............has nothing to with farang pricing

Wish they weren't! But 135k/rai that we just saw is extremely cheap for that area

And, as I said, 3 rai very rarely come for sale.............only 9-10/15-20 rai plots and they refuse to break them up

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Airalee said:

Land costs are certainly less expensive in her village compared to somewhere like HuaHin....far less expensive.   The first home you link to is built on just over 1/4 rai.  A 3 rai buildable plot in Huahin would be very expensive.

Of course, I understand that

But not taking in account for the land price, I am wondering if the build cost would be much cheaper in her village

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

As you seem to want a western-style house rather than an Isaan shack, you'd probably still have to get a reputable builder in from one of the big cities or you'll end up with a complete shambles of a house. You can save money on the land by building away from the cities, but I wouldn't try to save money using a builder who didn't have a proven track record of putting up houses of the sort you want. Remember, also, that living in the boondocks in Thailand can be pretty lonely for a farang, people are willing to pay more for land and houses in the cities because they want to be near other people they can meet up with for a beer, and also near to the good restaurants and shops. I have a mate who lives in Amnat Charoen, and it's a 110 km round-trip to Ubon just to get a loaf of farang bread from the Tops supermarket there. Be sure you know exactly what you're letting yourself in for.

Her village is 15-20min drive to a pretty lively town, Singburi

Plenty of entertainment there(Thai, don't know if many expat places), any big shop you want, fun bars, good restaurants

But I would never live in the village(or Thailand full time), would split between US and Thailand, with a decent amount of Asian travel when in Thailand

I could never live in a situation like your friend, even for just 4-5 months............but some would like that

Edited by marc26