Which panels for sun shading?

gejohesch

I hope this is the right place to ask.

Problem : too much sun and too much heat which at times makes my wife's house in NE Thailand feel like an oven. I'm not keen to keep the AC running the whole day. Also, I would like to be able to enjoy more the terraces and verandas I have built around the house, for which obviously AC is out of the question. 

To manage some protection from excessive sun, I have planned to build roofs over these external features I have added to the house. But however much I play around designing the roofs, it's obvious that there will still be a lot of sun / heat hitting the house. I have modeled that rather precisely using Sketchup,  with the correct long and lat and house orientation, and playing with the shades option in that software for different times - very instructive, I'm tempted to say very illuminating!

Solution: add vertical panels around the terraces and along the verandas to cut a bit more on the sun exposure. (A long time ago, in another sunny country, I lived in a house with a large garden but by a busy street and everyone passing by could peek into the house. I had plastic sheets mounted all around and that was a perfect solution, cheap, easy to install, easy to replace, and it protected from the sun as well as from people's curiosity.)

My question is what options do I have regarding these panels? The idea is to have something translucent and not too expensive. I see talk of polycarbonate sheets and of fibreglass sheets but I'm not clear of what would be appropriate and where I could find the material (HomePro? Global House?).

I can't help you directly but I remember the house of a friend in Thailand. He bought a translucent "plastic" to cover his entrance area. It was sold to him as something which will block the heat of the sun and he was very skeptic about that. But he said it worked great and it didn't get too hot under that cover. Unfortunately I can't ask this guy anymore. But what I remember is: This was some special material just for that purpose of heat protection. Be careful what you buy.

For shopping options:

Thai Watsadu

All categories | OneStockHome

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I can't help you directly but I remember the house of a friend in Thailand. He bought a translucent "plastic" to cover his entrance area. It was sold to him as something which will block the heat of the sun and he was very skeptic about that. But he said it worked great and it didn't get too hot under that cover. Unfortunately I can't ask this guy anymore. But what I remember is: This was some special material just for that purpose of heat protection. Be careful what you buy.

For shopping options:

Thai Watsadu

All categories | OneStockHome

Thanks. Indeed, "plastic" is just about anything so have to be careful what to use. Durability is one aspect.

4 hours ago, GregTN said:

I use bamboo shades that were purchased at a local shop.  They block a lot of sun, offer a fare amount of privacy, and can be rolled up when not needed.  They face east and receive a lot of sun and still look pretty good after four years.  

24AB9D67-2AE9-41A0-8E52-960A76036A18.jpeg

5470B264-F316-442C-B957-E655FD96BAB8.jpeg

Thinking about it, this must be one of the best options. No issue concerning the nature of the "plastic", or polycarbonate or whatever, natural bamboo cannot be bad. In fact, we bought such stores years ago for the interior and that was a good choice for sure. The question I would have, using such stores outside, is how durable they would be, especially with wind uplift (regular storms during the rainy season). I notice that you seem to have mounted the stores ona rather tight framework, was that because of the wind maybe?

As an alternative, I'm contemplating building (or having built) a set of latticed wood panels, a bit like the fence in the front of your last picture. That would offer a lot of shading, and intimacy as well, while still not blocking everything out. Would look good too. Probably more expensive than "plastic" sheeting of whatever kind, but WTH something has to be done, it's for the house my wife have by the street side, no room to plant trees.

The house I designed, full architectural plans (but it's on hold at the moment) included two main sun facing roofs to be in 2 layers with an air gap and cavity walls on the same elevations!

If you have a roof void make sure it has air flow with vents one end and extract fans the other to remove hot air.

Expensive option can be to install a further roof layer of roof covering with air gap. Or if you can access easily and fit raising pieces, stretch sun/sail shades over it to provide the gaps and the same on walls helps them becoming radiators as well.

Do not use plastic fabric like tarpaulins - the sun in Thailand destroys them in 1-2 years and you end up with microplastic pieces everywhere. PVC, fibreglass or polycarbonate sheeting lasts much longer. The bamboo will be ok if it doesnt get wet.

• 1 month later...

Bit late to the party but .......

I made a couple of drop down sunshades ( 3m x 4m ) using tarp from Global House and unroll them everyday between 3pm and 6pm , they stop the sunshine perfectly but also stop any air flow. Probably will go with the shade cloth if I need to replace.

I also made some shade at the back of the house using polycarbonate sheets.

The Sunshield brand available at HomePro ( around 635 baht for a 1,22 x 2,44 sheet ) I find are excellent.

Global house have similar ( Wellington and Eco something or other ) and are cheaper ( 495 to 525 baht ) but didn’t appear to have as good sun blocking properties IMO.