Experience with refractive lens exchange at the Bright View Center in Bangkok Hospital Phuket?

Aeiou7

Does anyone here have any own practical experience (good or bad) with refractive lens exchange at the Bright View Center in Bangkok Hospital Phuket, as offered here?

https://www.brightviewcenter.com/products_services

I am 50+, have been using cheap reading glasses for about 10 years and would like to get rid of them. Besides presbyopia, I always had great eyesight and never needed any other corrective glasses or contact lenses.

I know well that such an operation is relatively pricey and not completely risk-free. Armchair experts are therefore invited to shut up but TV being TV, they probably won't anyway. ????

What I am interested in are the opinions of people who have had this operation, on one or on both eyes, maybe also elsewhere than at Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

????

Yes, had this done a few years back at BHP (both eyes). Best money I ever spent. The doctor called Dr Captain something is one of the top surgeons that do this relatively simple procedure. Make sure you get him.

I was told it was called Lens Replacement Surgery. Pretty sure it's the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, had RLE on both eyes done by Dr Captain there about 1 and a half years ago, best money I've ever spent, absolutely brilliant and I know of 6 others that have had it done there and are all of the same opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Best money I ever spent.

Ditto.

Went for my 3 year checkup two weeks ago.

Total cost to date: 199,975 baht.

Left eye: ~ 59,000 baht

Right eye: ~ 81,000 baht (Toric lens because of astigmatism)

After 2 years, YAG Laser Capsulotomy: ~30,000 Baht (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EA8kxzGAc)

• Thanks 1

Had mine done over 10 years ago--Pattaya, everything great---opp very easy, 1 night in the hospital --Prevention of infection--included in price. Never worn specs since.

Have you asked the price at Rutnin BKK---would be my choice of Hospital if I done this again. Took my wife there , most impressed. The best eye hospital in Thailand.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

Yes, had RLE on both eyes done by Dr Captain there about 1 and a half years ago, best money I've ever spent, absolutely brilliant and I know of 6 others that have had it done there and are all of the same opinion.

A course of eye drops I think it was for 3 or 4 days prior, had the left eye done 1st, went to the hospital about 2 hours before the procedure and had more drops administered to numb the eye etc, procedure took about 20 minutes, no pain what so ever, just look into the little lights and feel nothing.

All good so 2 days later had the other eye done, same as the 1st.

A course of eye drops for a while after.

Can see no problem straight after the procedure, but wore Sunny's as usual!

The only side affect (for me) is hallows around lights at night but now I don't really notice it at all.

Edited by beechbum
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, had this done a few years back at BHP (both eyes). Best money I ever spent. The doctor called Dr Captain something is one of the top surgeons that do this relatively simple procedure. Make sure you get him.

I was told it was called Lens Replacement Surgery. Pretty sure it's the same thing.

Dr Captain takes care my eyes last 5 years. I have many issues.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

<snip>

Have you asked the price at Rutnin BKK---would be my choice of Hospital if I done this again. Took my wife there , most impressed. The best eye hospital in Thailand.

Yes Rutnin top class but it is very very busy. I waited hours to be treated. 

Thanks a lot for all your answers!
I really appreciate them, especially all the recommendations of Dr Captain in BHP.
????????????

I would only consider going to Bangkok or Pattaya for such an operation if no good option was available in the South of Thailand. Fortunately, there is!

18 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Dr Captain takes care my eyes last 5 years. I have many issues.

Sorry to read that! 

Are your issues directly related to Dr Captain's procedures or rather the opposite, that he takes good care of other eye issues that you may have?

3 hours ago, Aeiou7 said:

Sorry to read that! 

Are your issues directly related to Dr Captain's procedures or rather the opposite, that he takes good care of other eye issues that you may have?

Sorry. I wrote badly. He take good care of my term eye issues.  Rutnin in BKK recommend him to me.

• Like 2

I had lens replacement at BHP a couple of years ago and cataract laser surgery last year. Dr Captain wasn't available so another doctor performed both. There were some issues, but happy with the restoration of my sight. I hadn't realised how bad it had become.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading about this the other day (saw their ad for Phuket bkk hospital) I'm short sighed by about -2.5 both eyes, and getting old, so with my glasses or contacts can not read close by, take glasses off then it's fine to read.

Also now need another glasses , about -1 for computer/laptop, because of the aging eyes. So what I need is short sighted correction and old age eye correction...! I heard they have some special lenses for this issue, but of course it has its problems...

Anyone has done this or know of people who gave feedbacks ....!?

(I think they even have contact lenses for this, so maybe a good idea to try them first to see what is like...!)

7 hours ago, Agusts said:

I was reading about this the other day (saw their ad for Phuket bkk hospital) I'm short sighed by about -2.5 both eyes, and getting old, so with my glasses or contacts can not read close by, take glasses off then it's fine to read.

Also now need another glasses , about -1 for computer/laptop, because of the aging eyes. So what I need is short sighted correction and old age eye correction...! I heard they have some special lenses for this issue, but of course it has its problems...

Anyone has done this or know of people who gave feedbacks ....!?

(I think they even have contact lenses for this, so maybe a good idea to try them first to see what is like...!)

Have you read this thread?

There are posts from people that have had it done, with feed-back.

I have multi-focal lenses which is good for all distances.

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Have you read this thread?

There are posts from people that have had it done, with feed-back.

I have multi-focal lenses which is good for all distances.

I was not sure if they had multi-focal lens , or just fixed one problem of short-sighted or long-sighted..., there is a big difference...(many people have no idea). 

A couple of years ago I did a laser surgery consultation with an opticion in UK who did a thorough exam and suggested their latest (laser) technology they had, can also do multi-focal laser ops...., then he started listing all the issues, generally it came down to hallows around lights at night (very bad for driving) and not being able to see perfectly, the near or far ....!!! , or some sport could be a problem focusing near and far fast, was the gist of it. He said people get use to it and have different expected standards from their eyes, some prefer the convenient over having perfect eye sight it small issues, it depends what kind you are...., he said a 70+ have different expectations from his/her eyes and does different activity than say a 45+ , so different requirements etc....

Lens replacement may be better than what they can do with laser (it is far more expensive too), but they list the same issues for multi-focal lens replacement, so I always like to hear more feedback ...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Agusts said:

I was not sure if they had multi-focal lens , or just fixed one problem of short-sighted or long-sighted..., there is a big difference...(many people have no idea). 

A couple of years ago I did a laser surgery consultation with an opticion in UK who did a thorough exam and suggested their latest (laser) technology they had, can also do multi-focal laser ops...., then he started listing all the issues, generally it came down to hallows around lights at night (very bad for driving) and not being able to see perfectly, the near or far ....!!! , or some sport could be a problem focusing near and far fast, was the gist of it. He said people get use to it and have different expected standards from their eyes, some prefer the convenient over having perfect eye sight it small issues, it depends what kind you are...., he said a 70+ have different expectations from his/her eyes and does different activity than say a 45+ , so different requirements etc....

Lens replacement may be better than what they can do with laser (it is far more expensive too), but they list the same issues for multi-focal lens replacement, so I always like to hear more feedback ...

The plastic lens will last a life-time. The lens is the core of the problem. You usually lose short and far vision because the lens gets less and less supple as you age.

Lazik will be good for a couple of years, but ultimately isn't a permanent solution because as you get older, your eyeballs change shape. The distance between the lens and the retina will slowly increase. You will probably have to go back to wearing glasses as the cornea will be too thin for more Lazik. You could get lucky and have it done, but the cornea is only so thick.

With lens replacement you do see halos, especially with the multi-focal, and they do make driving a bit of a pain, but over the months, the brain works it's magic until you just don't notice them anymore.

My wife had her lens changed about three months ago. They were done a week apart.

Her reason for doing it was glasses just don’t sit well on her nose and glasses give her headaches.

She couldn’t have multi focal for the same reason she couldn’t have Lisik... something was too thin.

She opted for one long sight and one short sight ...So that she wouldn’t need glasses.

She needed sun glasses for a while but now all seems ok ... she can read   and also drive... can park the car ok. Her putting on golf course hasn’t improved...

Operation was done at  Princess Chulabhorn Hospital. Cost was 30K thb each eye. Multi focal lens are much more expensive.

55 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

My wife had her lens changed about three months ago. They were done a week apart.

Her reason for doing it was glasses just don’t sit well on her nose and glasses give her headaches.

She couldn’t have multi focal for the same reason she couldn’t have Lisik... something was too thin.

She opted for one long sight and one short sight ...So that she wouldn’t need glasses.

She needed sun glasses for a while but now all seems ok ... she can read   and also drive... can park the car ok. Her putting on golf course hasn’t improved...

Operation was done at  Princess Chulabhorn Hospital. Cost was 30K thb each eye. Multi focal lens are much more expensive.

I do this with contact lenses sometimes, one -2.5 and one -1.25, it works well during the day, but not do good at night..., I'm afraid I'm a bit of a perfectionist and a bit picky, the doctor I consulted with also noticed this, he said I don't think you will be happy with any of my solutions, just wear glasses and/or contact lenses as and how you like it..., you will be happier....!