Cycling accident

bluesofa

32 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Great to have you back Blue!

That could easily have been your last ride.Please take care whilst you recover.

If he follows the advice on here it might still be his last ride.  

You can kid yourself the small roads are safer, but you might find that’s not the case; there’s really no substitute for good luck, but bright lights, a high viz shirt and a helmet is probably about as much luck as you can buy.

Very best wishes for a speedy recovery; maybe Colinneill can give you some Zwift tips while you are laid up

SC

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Very best wishes for a speedy recovery; maybe Colinneill can give you some Zwift tips while you are laid up

" one hand on the mouse.   the other one on my .....deleted. "

Nurse !!   

• Haha 1

My sympathies for the  pain experience. Being hit from behind  by a  drunk young clown on a small motorbike resulting in several fractures and "dislocation" of my  coccyx  with some  other relatively minor abrasions was my  historical  event from many years  past. "Bone pain" from impact trauma is in a class of it's own in my very personal opinion and so despite the very fortunate lesser outcome of what could have been I can also understand the  probable cyclical thoughts of "what/how the flock" Best wishes  for your  recuperations.

Don't worry about all the people coming out now with their own tales of woe.  You've had as much as they have, and so cycling is as safe as you judge it.  Other people might have a greater tolerance for lack of fresh air and getting out and about, or a lesser enjoyment of the countryside, that affects their risk - benefit judgement.

An engineer told me, before he died, 
I have no reason to believe he lied,
of an acquaintance who at interview at Jakarta
Got involved with a taxi diver in fatal fracas
As he lay in hospital enwrapped in bandages
The police followed leads that freed some hostages
His mates send "So you'll not be taking the job. Jakarta's not so nice?"
"Well the way I see it, that sort thing won't happen twice"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

overheard Nurse Ratched asking the doctor who had hit me if she had พรบ (insurance) to pay my hospital bill?

An' if you didn't there'd be electro shock treatment thru' your bonce waiting for you .?

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Haha 1

Living here it is easy to be negative, in your situation you were lucky a concern person (Doctor) who had insurance even visited with others Doctor to check on your condition.  It will not be an easy recovery but at least you aren't laying on your back having to hear about the bills?

I've cycle thousand of KM here in Chon Buri province use to do an annual ride ( Solo ) from Pattaya to Bangkok being involved in the transportation industry for 40 years I never thought my training would keep me alive what I learn quickly cheap and effective is get a handle bar mounted mirror place on the right side.

• Like 2

Get well! Sounds like you were very lucky to get away with the damage done. If you're going to be on your back for a few weeks or months it won't be fun, actually it stinks!

Which reminds me of the time I was testing the waters, taking a martial arts class and the guy I was paired up with threw me down on my back across his foot, which fractured some "wing" bones on my spine. I had to be on my back mostly for 2-3 weeks. The stinky part of this episode was no one had told me I would be seriously constipated.... So I suggest you ask the doctor if you should take something for constipation, otherwise you may be in for an uncomfortable situation.

Get well! Sounds like you were very lucky to get away with the damage done. If you're going to be on your back for a few weeks or months it won't be fun, actually it stinks!

Which reminds me of the time I was testing the waters, taking a martial arts class and the guy I was paired up with threw me down on my back across his foot, which fractured some "wing" bones on my spine. I had to be on my back mostly for 2-3 weeks. The stinky part of this episode was no one had told me I would be seriously constipated.... So I suggest you ask the doctor if you should take something for constipation, otherwise you may be in for an uncomfortable situation.

What kills me is almost every time I see an accident and someone is laying in the road half dead the first thing they do is try and stand the person up.  It's like they think, oh if he gets up every thing will be okay.  When what they are really doing is making things worse.

You got lucky they didn't start trying to force you up.  I hope everything works out for you.  Seems you got lucky in that the person who hit you actually feels responsible.

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As someone slightly more famous than me once said, “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”

You're a very un-lucky lucky person, if that makes any sense.

I ride every morning, but make sure I'm off the road before the suicidal school run starts, after that it's too hot to ride.

But even at that time I've had narrow misses at junctions and traffic lights...

My sympathy for you for such an experience. I am a regular cyclist and try to ride in the motorcycle lane as much as possible.

She didn't see you! What was she doing driving a car in the motorcycle lane anyway?  And to be going at a speed unable to see in time for an emergency stop!

Your body hasn't had much luck but subsequent circumstances seem to have been in your favour.

It's a serious shock to the system and may have an effect to your confidence for the future.

Stay a while on your sofa, which I believe is a blue one!

Many people on this forum are showing just concern that you recover quickly and then - get back on your bike.

Regards.

PS Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Get well soon and ask the doctors for DVT prevention, it happened to me after a spine operation. Very uncommon with Asians but frequently happening to Westerners. (so they don't pay attention) For those who are so negative please check the number of accidents that actually happen at home.

Lucky man, this could of been so much worse.

I too was hit from behind by a young girl not paying attention, double somersault then landing flat on my back,  luckily away from the tarmac,  got away with a couple of mashed vertebrae ends and altho not broken, seriously banged up ribcage. 

Later in the hospital, I'm in a wheelchair and the girl turns up and I want to give her a major barracking but she bursts into tears and I end up comforting her. Such is life.

I love cycling but was out of action for many months, now I always ride with a rear view mirror just to give me a chance if something comes too close and avoid major highways as there are too many distractions for drivers to miss seeing me. That being said I dont want to preach but wish you all the best on your road to recovery 

Enjoy the rest and get well soon.

Cheers

• Like 2