visitor visa for uk

A question that came up in conversation.

I wonder if anyone has applied for a visa for their wife/girl friend to go to uk since the start of the pandemic.

Some said  uk not issuing visas,  but no proof offered to back it up.

One said even if you had one it would be cancelled, but again no proof.

Anyone out there know the answer?

Just interest on my part.

There is a thread from January where somebody's wife had just been issued a visitor visa.  Can't see why things would have changed since then and I'm certain if they were cancelling visa's there would be some loud wails on here somewhere.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

There is a thread from January where somebody's wife had just been issued a visitor visa.  Can't see why things would have changed since then and I'm certain if they were cancelling visa's there would be some loud wails on here somewhere.

We never got the chance to use last years, flights cancelled etc ( luckily got the air fares back ) but only got a promise on the deposit for the self catering place we booked.

Had thought about this year but the quarantine requirement blew that out of the water.

Probably have grey hair before it all gets back to normal.

Fiance visa issued in February. Now just waiting for her to work off her notice period and then the flight in May.

We had no problems with any of the process, nothing was different from what it would normally seem to be.

As for tourist visa, I don't know.

The UK visa application centres were closed for a while due to lockdown restrictions.

The main one in Bangkok reopened on the 1st June 2020. It has been possible to apply for any type of UK visa since then.

See 

• Thanks 1

I'm aware of lots of UK visit visa issued during the past year.  As 7x7 says, the VFS application centre was closed only for a short period of time. They are currently open only 2 or 3 days a week, due to low application numbers.

7 hours ago, 7by7 said:

The UK visa application centres were closed for a while due to lockdown restrictions.

The main one in Bangkok reopened on the 1st June 2020. It has been possible to apply for any type of UK visa since then.

See 

The short closure would be the reason the 'not issuing anymore' comment was made not realising it was open again.

16 hours ago, Tony M said:

I'm aware of lots of UK visit visa issued during the past year.  As 7x7 says, the VFS application centre was closed only for a short period of time. They are currently open only 2 or 3 days a week, due to low application numbers.

Low visa application numbers from Thai nationals certainly. But the number of Brits needing to renew their passports hasn't decreased on account of COVID-19, of course!

A friend's Thai girlfriend is visiting the UK in May. The Thai Covid vaccine rollout programme will not have reached her by the time she departs. He is asking if it is possible for her to have the vaccine once she arrives in the UK - does anyone have any knowledge of this?

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

A friend's Thai girlfriend is visiting the UK in May. The Thai Covid vaccine rollout programme will not have reached her by the time she departs. He is asking if it is possible for her to have the vaccine once she arrives in the UK - does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Hard to see how she would get one....unless there are people offering private vaccinations.........even if she receives one as she lands she will still need to quarantine.......she is not on the Red List (at the moment) so I assume she can quarantine with her boyfriend........does he and his household then have to quarantine???

51 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Hard to see how she would get one....unless there are people offering private vaccinations.........even if she receives one as she lands she will still need to quarantine.......she is not on the Red List (at the moment) so I assume she can quarantine with her boyfriend........does he and his household then have to quarantine???

I am not sure what the UK status is at the date of arrival......... self-isolating at home for 10 days is no hardship. There is only a requirement for 2 Covid tests, nothing about vaccinations.

I can't help thinking that a private clinic might offer a vaccination service.

From Visitors from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Overseas visitors to England, including anyone living in the UK without permission, will not be charged for:

• testing for coronavirus (even if the test shows you do not have coronavirus)
  • treatment for coronavirus – including for a related problem that affects some children called multisystem inflammatory syndrome
  • vaccination against coronavirus

No immigration checks are needed.

Usually you can only have the vaccine via an appointment and to make an appointment you need to be in a qualifying group, e.g. above the minimum age, currently 50, a frontline health worker etc., and have received an invitation, either by a text message from your GP or a letter from the NHS.

However, if you qualify you can also book one via Book or manage your coronavirus vaccination; but you need to be registered with a GP.

Note; all the above is for England. See appropriate link in Coronavirus vaccination for Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

7 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I am not sure what the UK status is at the date of arrival......... self-isolating at home for 10 days is no hardship. There is only a requirement for 2 Covid tests, nothing about vaccinations

How to quarantine when you arrive in England

Again, that guidance is for England, follow the appropriate link therein for Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

• 1 month later...

As long as she is in an age group that are eligible for a vaccine in the UK, then her local GP service can help her get a vaccine sorted out.  Further guidance can be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-migrant-health-guide#:~:text=Accessing COVID-19 vaccination without an NHS number,-Individuals do not&text=While registration with a GP,through a local GP practice.