Thai school dinners:  One ghastly lunch posted on Facebook causes uproar among netizens

webfact

6pm.jpg
Picture: Sanook

Thai netizens were in uproar after a former pupil posted a picture of their child's lunch on an aluminium tray, reported Sanook

There was a bit of slop intended to be Kaeng Khiaw Wan (green curry) though the chicken was the tiniest of bones accompanied by a couple of sorry looking makheua (Thai aubergine).

There was a bit of insipid looking sauce, some rice and a couple of bananas.

Sanook asked in their caption:Is that enough to sustain a child?

Netizens thought not and wondered where the 20 baht per head budget was going at the school in Mae Sot in the north west of Thailand.

Into the children's mouths or into the pockets of the school administrators while the kid's starved. 

Many have called for an immediate investigation. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-17

• Sad 5

6 hours ago, Surelynot said:

School dinners......my recollection 

Very tough liver (almost everyday)......lumpy mash......turnip or swede.....followed by custard you could not knock the skin off.

You were lucky, I couldn't get the skin off mine, I had to chew it all afternoon until it slowly dissolved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thai school dinners:  One ghastly lunch posted on Facebook causes uproar among netizens. 

What are schools Dinners , We never had School Dinners. 

— Dutch children typically have a 60–90 min lunch break, during which they go home to eat their lunch or eat home-packed lunches at school. It is not common that Dutch children consume a hot or cooked meal during lunch at home or at school.

• Like 2

The thai lunch looks like a prison meal for those thrown in the isolation box....

20 bt a person..take 100 kids=2000bt..go to market and buy bulk rice-bulk curry-bulk bananas and chix scraps=2000 bt?

Of course you consider the facility to cook it and the plates etc and paying staff etc....but somebody is skimming off this

Ive gone to a couple vegetarian places in Cm for lunch and got a ton of vegetables for 20 bt..white rice has no nutritional value

21 hours ago, hotchilli said:

We grew up on a handful of gravel and drink from a puddle.
Winter you had to break the ice first.

Wait. You got a whole handful? You must have been rich. 

I shared a handful with three brothers. The nearest puddle was 2 miles uphill but if it hadn't rained recently we could usually still squeeze some water out of mud.

On Sunday we got tree bark soup with crickets. That was my favorite. 

• Haha 2

It is not acceptable to see such a story in a country with so much abundant quality fruit and vegetable  and access to low cost fish. The country is awash with CP factory chicken. 20 baht for a child lunch is not enough today so maybe this is the result.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:26 PM, BenDeCosta said:

School dinners were completely inedible when I was at secondary school. I used to walk to the chip shop and get a small portion of chips or if I had won a lot from gambling I'd get a battered sausage and chips.

Same here! The chippy used to have a fruit machine with a five pound jackpot... sometimes I'd lose and have to eat the sorry looking peanut butter sarnie at the bottom of my bag. I'd also buy ciggies (roll your own) at the shop next door if I won a couple of quid, and wash it down with a cup of tea at my friends house... a typical British lunch really.

Edited by 2530Ubon

On 3/18/2021 at 8:02 AM, RocketDog said:

Wait. You got a whole handful? You must have been rich. 

I shared a handful with three brothers. The nearest puddle was 2 miles uphill but if it hadn't rained recently we could usually still squeeze some water out of mud.

On Sunday we got tree bark soup with crickets. That was my favorite. 

We used to fight with the rich kids just to smell the food off their breath!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

When I was in school in the 60s and 70s, the school dinners were great, cooked fresh everyday by the cooks in the school. There was at least 2 choices and pudding. it was normally the biggest meal for most of us each day. later they added breakfast. It made up for my dads cooking, we had baked beans most days or my dads fav boiled pork and potatoes (Irish). Still I know late 70's that all changed and it was contracted out, and went down hill, same time the idiots stopped the slipper and caning.