Earthquake

chang35baht

I wanted to ask any of you guys in the Chiang Rai province if you had any damage to your property as a result of the earthquake, but the topic was closed.

So, have any of you guys in the Chiang Rai province had any damage to your property as a result of the earthquake?

I was downstairs talking to my daughter. She thought it was me jokingly shaking the sofa she was lying down on.

Felt my house shake more than I thought it could take but fortunately no damage. hope you guys also have no damage.

Pretty scary for a first experience.

C35b

Edited by chang35baht

P.S. no offence Wolfie.

None taken, but as i said to one of the members who PM'd me directly theres no point having lots of different threads open on the earthquake spread around 3-4 different forums, so i closed all bar one, which was moved into General to make it area non-specific.

I'll let this one ride, as your asking about effects of the quake in your local area :o

I know we can't talk bad about our superiors (forum rules) , but i hope the next time that local natural

major happenings don't get dumped into the General forum.

Here, here. :o Locals rule ok

My house is concrete post and beam on the first floor and wood framed above.....the wood framing swayed quite a bit but seems to be fine. I'll have to see if all the windows still open and close properly but so far the ones I've closed this evening as part of my usual routine seemed fine.

This quake did cause some superficial cracks in the block infill between the concrete columns but since these are not structural it doesn't matter so long as the walls don't crumble and they won't.....perhaps sometime in the far future I can point to these small cracks and tell the kids how gramps survived the quake of 'ought seven'.

Chownah

Thanks Chang35Baht for bringing it up....it was significant !

It happened at 4 o'clock on the dot , and I was sitting in an armchair ground floor, and fully expected the walls and ceiling to collapse.

I was ready to dash out of the house just as it stopped.

No immediate apparent damage but I'm sure cracks will appear later.

My wife was in the local market and the lady sellers went apeshit running away and nearly toppling my wife in the process.

The worst and most scary earthquake experience of my life.

I know we can't talk bad about our superiors (forum rules) , but i hope the next time that local natural

You are wrong, you can discuss forum rules, however, you can't discuss moderator actions in the open forum however. Wolfie gave a perfectly reasonable explanation. Next time you have an issue, bring it up with admin, not in the forum. :o

Back to the topic at hand: earthquake damage.

Never heard a squeak.

If it was 4pm I was getting the day's first Leo out of the fridge, concentration already totally focussed.

But then, the majestic bulk of the mighty sceadugenga very likely stabilizes the surrounding area.

Anyhow, trodding on the thin line of not talking about the earthquake (because it's a no no) but the damage it has done (because that' local, the earthquake wasn't.....) I'm more or less overwhelmed to the extent I feel that I'm in a poor Ben Affleck movie... oh, but hey, does anyone have a damage report from the epicenter in Laos?

There was another little tremor around 8pm last night as we were watching football, Thai vs Jeen.Thai won 1-0. I felt the earth move as we were lying in bed watching. First time te earth moved in my bed for quite a while.

We decided to go outside for 10 minutes or so just in case there were more.

What is exactly the correct actions to take at these moments? hopefully not the same as we saw on tv where the Thai`s who had evacuated hi-rise buildings decided to take shelter directly underneath the buildings. :o

What is exactly the correct actions to take at these moments?

I'll refer you to the distasteful, dirty thread in general for the answer to that, if you can bring yourself to leave your local forum, that is :o

because of course, the earthquake was only felt in Chiang Rai and not the rest of Thailand, right? :o

because of course, the earthquake was only felt in Chiang Rai and not the rest of Thailand, right? :o

My friend that lives in Sankhamphaeng felt it. I live in Hong Dong and did not.

:D

My friend that lives in Sankhamphaeng felt it. I live in Hong Dong and did not.

The earthquake came from Laos near Chiang Rai and was felt in Bangkok :D and other places so don't go shooting the messenger.

My house had damage - a piece of roofing between car-port and house, more soldered than welded I sullose, fell down. Worst damage I know of!

no, not so. ancient ruins in Chiang Saen - even off of Wat Pasak jedi itself bricks fell down!

but damage is done here on CR thread. I didn't find it quite the same viewing posts from BKK...

(and someone in a bar brought up an old controversy about a question on pet hospitals being moved to national context)...

but here's a real earthquake - the baht slid today!!!

wow. economic reality?

Wife and I went through the same thing in Hawaii just last year. We immediately knew what was happening and just looked at each-other in disbelief. This couldn't be happening again, so soon, and here of all places. From what I have read the big one in 2004 loosened things up and we may be in for some more shakin. My latest blog entry is about our experience.

village farang

• 3 weeks later...
A 5.3-magnitude earthquake jolted border areas in Chiang Rai in the early hours of yesterday but no injuries or structural damage was reported. The epicentre of the quake, measuring 5.3 on the Richter scale, was in Burma, some 90 kilometres to the north of Chiang Rai, according to the Meteorological Department which detected the quake at 12.21am yesterday.

Source: Bangkok Post. Please continue here for the rest of the article.

Edited by sbk
first two sentences and a link to all Bangkok Post stories only

A 5.3-magnitude earthquake jolted border areas in Chiang Rai in the early hours of yesterday but no injuries or structural damage was reported. The epicentre of the quake, measuring 5.3 on the Richter scale, was in Burma, some 90 kilometres to the north of Chiang Rai, according to the Meteorological Department which detected the quake at 12.21am yesterday.

Source? Please post a link to your source, thanks

This is the only one I have heard about.

Where did you get this information, Soap.

source http://tsunami.geo.ed.ac.uk/local-bin/quak...pt/demo_run.pl#

Earthquake Details

Magnitude 4.5

Date-Time Thursday, June 7, 2007 at 17:21:10 (UTC)

= Coordinated Universal Time

Friday, June 8, 2007 at 12:21:10 AM

= local time at epicenter Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 20.421°N, 100.875°E

Depth 20.6 km (12.8 miles) (poorly constrained)

Region LAOS

Distances 125 km (75 miles) ENE of Chiang Rai, Thailand

150 km (90 miles) WNW of Louangphrabang, Laos

325 km (205 miles) NW of VIENTIANE, Laos

740 km (460 miles) N of BANGKOK, Thailand

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 9.7 km (6.0 miles); depth +/- 31.2 km (19.4 miles)

Parameters Nst= 25, Nph= 25, Dmin=269.4 km, Rmss=0.89 sec, Gp= 83°,

M-type=body magnitude (Mb), Version=R

Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Earthquake Details

Magnitude 4.5

# Date-Time Thursday, June 7, 2007 at 17:21:10 (UTC)

= Coordinated Universal Time

# Friday, June 8, 2007 at 12:21:10 AM

= local time at epicenter

Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 20.421°N, 100.875°E

Depth 20.6 km (12.8 miles) (poorly constrained)

Region LAOS

Distances 125 km (75 miles) ENE of Chiang Rai, Thailand

150 km (90 miles) WNW of Louangphrabang, Laos

325 km (205 miles) NW of VIENTIANE, Laos

740 km (460 miles) N of BANGKOK, Thailand

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 9.7 km (6.0 miles); depth +/- 31.2 km (19.4 miles)

Parameters Nst= 25, Nph= 25, Dmin=269.4 km, Rmss=0.89 sec, Gp= 83°,

M-type=body magnitude (Mb), Version=R

Source

USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2007dhbk

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recent.../us2007dhbk.php

Check the above site. It is amazing how many earthquakes around the world there are on almost a daily basis.

Although the newpapers are saying it was situated in Burma, it was clearly in Laos. If you plot the coordinates on Google Earth the new quake was only about 17km southeast of the last large quake.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

Chiang Kham - 100km from CR. I sustained major damage of the worst kind. While I was in CR shopping in BigC the earth quake happened. When we ruturned my last bottle of 25yr old Port Ellen single malt had fallen off the top shelf and smashed. Irreplaceable as the distillary is now closed. I did cut my mouth lying on the floor lapping the wastage up.

oh the house and other stuff was fine.

Chiang Kham - 100km from CR. I sustained major damage of the worst kind. While I was in CR shopping in BigC the earth quake happened. When we ruturned my last bottle of 25yr old Port Ellen single malt had fallen off the top shelf and smashed. Irreplaceable as the distillary is now closed. I did cut my mouth lying on the floor lapping the wastage up.

oh the house and other stuff was fine.

Our sympathies. Hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly there :o

• 2 weeks later...