Average price of beer in Thailand costs more than in Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Berlin and Washington: Study

webfact

I don't know where they get this prices. Here where I stay, a non Farang touristic place with a very nice beach, we pay, at the beach in a restaurant-bar, 80THB for a small beer (Chang-Leo) and 120THB for the big bottle. We even have a beer bar were we pay only 40THB small and 65THB big bottle. I don't know were in Belgium I can drink a 33cl beer for less than 4Euro in a bar at the beach. The places I am talking about don't have 'garniture' with what I mean: don't have bargirls to help you drinking your beer.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Many here don't live in Bangkok, and a reasonable, affordable lifestyle is easily available elsewhere in the country, without paying ridiculous inflated prices. 

In a high price country like Germany you get 0.5 liters for 12-13 cents(supermarket) that is 4-5 bt.It's pi..water but still better than the chemical shi. you get here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

so that makes all those countries 3rd world countries, if the booze is cheaper than LOS, pity the WWW (wicked white women) are so ugly with bad attitudes it'd nearly be worth going mongering if they weren't 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I'm currently in the UK drinking a can of Stella Artois. I bought a box of 18 X 440ml cans for £13 in Tescos. £0.72  a can.

Obviously pub/bar and supermarket prices are different.

Not drinking those 'wonderful' 3 litre plastic bottles of White Lightning or Frost Jack's?

????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

In a high price country like Germany you get 0.5 liters for 12-13 cents(supermarket) that is 4-5 bt.It's pi..water but still better than the chemical shi. you get here.

I heard on BBC that duty/tax on a 500ml pint in Germany is 5p (GBP) and 54p in UK. 

• Like 1

Super market, restaurant and star class hotel beer prices vary internationally, don't they? Some Club prices could give one a massive shock!

Anyways, these quoted prices are questionable.

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

When I arrived in Thailand in 1975 I thought beer was expensive then.

So I asked a Thai friend and he told me beer had quite a high tax on it. In those days hardly any Thais drank beer. It was mostly those rich Farangs who at the time were GIs at the various bases around Thailand and the ones flying in on R&R from Vietnam. 

Amarit beer was my favourite.

39 minutes ago, Venom said:

How much for a bottle of rice whiskey? 

In country areas you buy in 4, 5 or 20 liter containers, I've paid (for the family) 50,000 kip or 165 Baht for 4 liters .... then there is a variety of mixtures with Ginseng in it, lizards, scorpions, snakes, even a small bear in one large jar I saw once ... all priced according ... either way, its a cheap way to get drunk .... plus one step closer to a Kidney transplant ...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, madmen said:

I'm in Oz and a 6 pack of all local beer is around $20. Ridiculous! But the wines are silly cheap ????

Those who buy a 6 pack are paying for half a box of what 24 beers would normally cost you, so best to pay the extra $20 for the extra 12 beers on top of the other $20, 6 pack that you would have forked out $40, i.e. $40 for 12 beers buying them in 6 packs or $40 for 24 beers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Downtown Bangkok has always been pricey for beer, in bars, pubs, restaurants etc so nothing new there. Don't know about shops as I never buy it to take home, I am purely a social drinker if not a sociable one ????

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Many here don't live in Bangkok, and a reasonable, affordable lifestyle is easily available elsewhere in the country, without paying ridiculous inflated prices. 

Exactly. Media licence, Bangkok = Thailand.

At Bang Saen market a large Chang to have with your food is 60 baht, or Leo at 65. Most restaurants around here are 70 - 90 for a large Chang.

A couple of weeks ago I had a large Singha in a fairly trendy bar in Bangkok and that was 110 baht, so the OP is not entirely representative of Bangkok.

• Like 1

When I got back to the UK after about 4 years my local Witherspoon was selling craft beer at £1.99 a pint the second nite they had a sign up doomsbar £1.50 a pint that's 64THB a pint a bloke was pissing his pants in the corner but never mind.

• Like 1

My mate lives in oz @ whilst supping cheap beer his body corp for his condo is 45000 $ a year ...self inflicted i know when you get in a taxi ching ching 6$/7$ ...before you move ..taxi driver said to me . Were to ..<deleted> I said this do I got out  (joke) ...bolt taxi here cheap chips..oh uk cheap ale freeze nuts off ..need I say more ..only in fun though ???? oh here still get beer 45 baht ..happy dayz I love thailand ????????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just as well, as it is there's enough inebriated people driving around causing horrendous road toll every year...

quite agree alcohol should be made into the same as a class a drug and banned completely. instead serve a nice mdma pill  and make the world a better place. class c is ok