Average price of beer in Thailand costs more than in Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Berlin and Washington: Study

webfact

3 hours ago, British Bulldog said:

hmmmm ... they seemed to have missed on Laos in this study, "Beer Lao" which won the Time Magazine award for the best beer in South East Asia some years back, still only cost us locals $10,68 for a box of 12 large bottles, equating to $0.89c per bottle (Hot or cold) or approx. 28 Baht a bottle ... of course you can pay more in a bar or fancy Hotel, but generally speaking, $1 or 31 Baht will get you a full sized icy cold bottle of beer served on the banks of the Mekong !  Carlsberg, Heineken, Tiger, and a few other local made brands, don't follow that far behind in price either (mainly because they are also brewed here ... for the Asian market)

And Lao beer is much better beer and Vietnam beer even better and cheaper.

• Like 2

Domestic beer in Thailand is cheaper then Domestic beer in most other countries! This article is about imports! 

Buying a bottle of domestic beer in Thailand at a restaurant is also quite cheap, as the price of the beer doesn’t get marked up as high as it would in many other countries.

Usually 110 baht ($3.56) will get you a bottle (0.33L) of most of the Thai domestic beers. 

From NUMBEO: Bangkok tap beer compared to Chicago.

Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught) 65.00 ฿
(2.11 $)
184.50 ฿
(6.00 $)
     +183.85 %
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

100 Pipers is pish!????

No that's the Blue and red labeled bottle of Lao Kao, so good it makes you Phish

Image result for Lao Kao

I would rather have a 

Image result for beer lao dark

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

In fairness though, a bottle of 100 Pipers whiskey is cheaper in Thailand than an equivalent bottle of 25 year old single malt scotch would be anywhere else in the world...

100 Pipers whiskey vs bottle of 25 year old single malt scotch ?

Now THIS, is a unique comparison.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

In fairness though, a bottle of 100 Pipers whiskey is cheaper in Thailand than an equivalent bottle of 25 year old single malt scotch would be anywhere else in the world...

I prefer to use turps or domestos

Everything is expensive in Thailand that is why I live in Australia.I have written blogs on this topic before.In Thailand wine is crazy prices and Western food at Supermarkets is far more expensive.Local street food is cheapb50/100 baht beer at supermarket around 50 baht i think same as take away prices as Dan Murphy.So what has Thailand got to offer for retirees?

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Beer lao dark is only 49 baht now in Tops, where do they get 149 baht from for a small bottle? one or two imports maybe.

Did you actually read the article? It clearly states that was the average price, with:

"prices ranging from $0.94 (29 THB) in supermarkets to $8.70 (269 THB) in hotel bars."

I wrote about this over a year ago.

The last time I was down on khaosan road in a bar with the terrible music blasting out i realised the bottle of Tiger i was drinking cost more than the pint of Guinness i had in London Heathrow airport.

And to all the "in the supermarket and 7/11 it's only 40bht" I can big bottles of decent quality Greene King IPA for £1 (42.9 bht) in my local UK supermarket.

And don't get me started on the wine situation...

I think Thailand as a cheap holiday destination for average westerner like me is long gone, I imagine after the crisis the flights will be very expensive too.

I've come to the realisation that i will probably never return again.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

100 Pipers is pish!????

Thai people don't mind as long as it comes free . No problem of it being pish its alcohol. Occasionally l drink Lao Khao .My coffee testes wonderful with a wee drop in it.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I'm currently in the UK drinking a can of Stella Artois. I bought a box of 18 X 440ml cans for £13 in Tescos. £0.72  a can.

Obviously pub/bar and supermarket prices are different.

I have literally paid less for a bottle of Chang beer from an Asian market near my previous home outside of Dallas Texas then what I pay for it here. America honors its free trade agreement with Thailand, the Thai government not so much on items imported from America. I see items are priced 300%-600% higher in Thailand than what we pay in America.