Latest recommendations on Bangkok bank debit card, Master Card vs. Union Pay ...?

My BKK bank Visa debit card will finally croak as of this month, now which one should I choose for replacement? 

Is the jury in meanwhile, in practical use is any one better than the other, say for online purchases/payments ...?  (For example it could make sense to purchase an air ticket out of BKK with this card instead of my foreign creditcard, I might as well use it on Shopee or Lazada etc. ...)

Thanks folks & sorry, I know this has been up repeatedly over the last years but I couldn't find anything halfway recent, any search still comes back as '405 Not Allowed'. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

For debit cards I would recommend Krungsri Bank. Their VISA Debit Cards are great and offer many options. 

For credit cards, I also would recommend Krungsri, but you aren't looking for a credit card. 

MasterCard I've never really liked what they offer, I think they are behind VISA. UnionPay I also love it, but only in China Mainland. It makes no sense to use UnionPay in Thailand, because you can't get half of the features they offer in China, hence it's pretty much useless in Thailand, just on par with MasterCard IMHO.

Edited by ctxa
  • Like 2

Sorry if we disappointed you. I will give them the feedback

I run all the Digital stuff so I am not directly involved in the Branches, but one of my peers runs the Branches nationwide and I will bring this to her attention. 

A quick update on this. My understanding is that the requirement for a "reference letter" for a new account is a regulation and not something at our discretion to ignore. I will double check on that to ensure that is still current, but that is where this came from. Here is the link to our website

Savings Account (bangkokbank.com)

Edited by ianguygil
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ianguygil said:

I'm an officer of Bangkok Bank and I recommend the Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard for anyone who travels abroad. The UP card is fine if you never leave Thailand or travel in Asia.

UP is more and more accepted overseas, particularly if you mainly travel in Asia,  but just in case I would recommend the MC

PM me if there are still questions. Thank you

Be1st Smart Cards (bangkokbank.com)

Do you know why the branches are kept so cold?

The poor girls working in my branch have to wear coats...seriously ...it must also cost a fortune.....

If we go and think there we might have to wait we take jumpers.

7 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Do you know why the branches are kept so cold?

The poor girls working in my branch have to wear coats...seriously ...it must also cost a fortune.....

If we go and think there we might have to wait we take jumpers.

Now that is one I have no idea about. Don't seem cold to me. But I am rarely in a branch

• Haha 1

"I can now be reaced on the other Thai forum about a with door in the name"

Does than mean <URL Automatically Removed>?  Why the surreptitious reference if you want people to be able to find you?

Edit:  Oh, I see now, Ian! 

Sorry I mentioned it, Thaivisa, I plead ignorance.

Edited by Refreshed

1 hour ago, ianguygil said:

A quick update on this. My understanding is that the requirement for a "reference letter" for a new account is a regulation and not something at our discretion to ignore. I will double check on that to ensure that is still current, but that is where this came from. Here is the link to our website

I understand this. Indeed when I first opened my accounts at Bangkok Bank I did bring the "reference letter" and it was opened without issues. Problems arose when every time I went to any branch to do just about any procedure (replace used up passbok, statements, replace debit card).... they would ask to see my passport and work permit, and then I would have a hard time explaining that I don't have a work permit because I don't need to because I don't work in Thailand. There was one time when they told me they couldn't do what I wanted because I had no work permit despite having an account with them and some money deposited with them. 

Eventually I opened another account at Krungsri without work permit nor reference letter, and even applied a credit card with them without a work permit (I had to pledge a deposit obviously).

I am not saying Bangkok Bank is bad, far from it. My banking experience with them was exceptional, the only thing I can complain is that dealing with them in person was a waste of time because of the issue of me not having a work permit, and also communication issues given that I don't speak Thai.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ctxa said:

I understand this. Indeed when I first opened my accounts at Bangkok Bank I did bring the "reference letter" and it was opened without issues. Problems arose when every time I went to any branch to do just about any procedure (replace used up passbok, statements, replace debit card).... they would ask to see my passport and work permit, and then I would have a hard time explaining that I don't have a work permit because I don't need to because I don't work in Thailand. There was one time when they told me they couldn't do what I wanted because I had no work permit despite having an account with them and some money deposited with them. 

Eventually I opened another account at Krungsri without work permit nor reference letter, and even applied a credit card with them without a work permit (I had to pledge a deposit obviously).

I am not saying Bangkok Bank is bad, far from it. My banking experience with them was exceptional, the only thing I can complain is that dealing with them in person was a waste of time because of the issue of me not having a work permit, and also communication issues given that I don't speak Thai.

Thanks for the response. 

I will get back to the forum on if this is still a compliance issue. If it is clearly we need to adhere to it and can't comment on other banks not doing so. 

FYI, I am a Senior EVP. I have PR But I still sign tens of copies of my passport every year in this country. Even in the Bank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my new "Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard"  last Friday.

VISA would have expired next month.

Fortunately no discussion about UP which I would have declined (accounts closed).

400 Baht for issue/first year and 300 Baht per the following years, VISA cancelled.

Valid until Nov 2025 (a bit short).

Tomorrow I will try an online payment with the card data.

Hope it works without being "enabled/activated" before.

Even tempted to try the swipe/contactless payment :>)

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 12:03 AM, ianguygil said:

I'm an officer of Bangkok Bank and I recommend the Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard for anyone who travels abroad. The UP card is fine if you never leave Thailand or travel in Asia.

UP is more and more accepted overseas, particularly if you mainly travel in Asia,  but just in case I would recommend the MC

Hi -

I just had to renew my Be1st VISA at Phrom Phong branch and was flat our refused any card other  than UnionPay. This isn't any good for all the reasons stated elsewhere - and I wasn't even aware it'd be no good for withdrawing cash in Europe!

What can I do, I'd rather not have to change banks.

• Like 1

@ianguygil

Have them up the limits.  My wife, dual nationality, has a US based CC with a 10k USD limit.  Can only get 50k Baht here with you guys.  They've now given her another card, and have offered 2 more to up her limit.  Ridiculous.  She's had one card for years, never missed a payment.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:03 AM, ianguygil said:

I used to have the Be1st Smart Visa debit card until it expired. I asked to have the same but was told that Bangkok Bank had cancelled their agreement with Visa and now had Union Pay in their stead. That was all that was on offer. So, I got a Union Pay card and it works fine in ATMs and also ATMs in China. The problem I have is that I have not been able to use it to pay for items in a shop in Thailand. As in at the Apple Store, etc. 

My question is this: can I go into my local branch and swap out my Union Pay card for one of these MasterCard debit cards? Other than this, I have had an account at Bangkok Bank since since the early 90s and have received exceptional service the entire time.

Thanks in advance

Thank you in advance

Union Pay is totally useless, even inside Thailand as so few places will accept it, especially on line.

Demand a Master Card in pain of closing your account, don't take no for an answer, go up the chain of command until successful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pookett said:

Union Pay is totally useless, even inside Thailand as so few places will accept it, especially on line.

Demand a Master Card in pain of closing your account, don't take no for an answer, go up the chain of command until successful.

Totally agree. Union Pay is only useful if all you want is a card to withdraw cash from an ATM within Thailand (and China).  But if you travel outside of Thailand or want to purchase anything online you really do need the Mastercard. When my Visa Debit card expired, my branch initially tried to insist I get the Union Pay one, but with a bit of pressure from me they did eventually agree to issue the Mastercard. Accept nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did have a bit of a problem opening my BB account but eventually they complied on the basis that my pensions would go into the account every month. I changed my Visa debit to MasterCard about a year ago as BB said they would no longer work. Was offered Union Pay but insisted on MC as I could see some on their back counter. Although I have a Krungsri Account I opened the BB account when the UK Embassy stopped doing income letters and this has served me well on extensions

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 7:26 PM, Bounder said:

Hi -

I just had to renew my Be1st VISA at Phrom Phong branch and was flat our refused any card other  than UnionPay. This isn't any good for all the reasons stated elsewhere - and I wasn't even aware it'd be no good for withdrawing cash in Europe!

What can I do, I'd rather not have to change banks.

Update - Success! Went back to my branch on Monday morning and explained that I need to replace the UnionPay card as it just doesn't work. I'd got their website with the Be1st MasterCard showing loaded on my phone. I didn't need it. There was no problem from the girl I saw, she just replaced the card with the usual rigmarole of endless photocopies to sign etc, plus a B100 fee (think I've paid that every time over the years with the single exception of when they gave me the UnionPay). 

3 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I can understand all of the different frustrations people are having when dealing with their Banks. I have only been here 5 years and I have found out not all Bangkok Banks handle things the same way. It would be nice if they all did their business the same. When I first got here, I went to Bangkok Bank and they wouldn't open an account for me unless I had a work permit. Of course I told them I am not allowed to work, as I have a Retirement Visa. But they still said no. Then a friend told me, just go to a different Bangkok Bank, so I did. The only thing I had to show was my passport and nothing else and they opened an account for me. Of course, back then their debit card was a Visa. But once my Visa expired, they replaced it with a UnionPay card. Which I found out that a lot of places would not accept the card here in Thailand. Went back to Bank and they said they would be offering a Mastercard very soon. Once the time came, I went back to my bank to change my UnionPay card for a Mastercard, but they said they couldn't do it, until my UnionPay card expired. Which didn't make me happy. They were only following the bank rules. So a few days later, my UnionPay card accidentally had an accident and the card no longer could be used and needed to be replaced. So I went to my bank and showed them that the card wouldn't work anymore and they were more then happy to replace it with a new Mastercard. As they were following the bank rules. Now I am 100% happy. End of story.

Yup rules, rules rules. Find a way , as you did and then it's ok! I was going to suggest that you say you had lost the card. Then they will replace it, for a fee. Bangok Bank did stop issuing MasterCard and for a time only issued UnionPay, but I understand now they will issue MasterCard again ....if you insist!

24 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Yup rules, rules rules. Find a way , as you did and then it's ok! I was going to suggest that you say you had lost the card. Then they will replace it, for a fee. Bangok Bank did stop issuing MasterCard and for a time only issued UnionPay, but I understand now they will issue MasterCard again ....if you insist!

Does that not depend on which branch?

I'm still using their Visa debit card and will continue to do so until it expires. The staff at my branch tried hard to sell me the UnionPay card when I got it, but I insisted and gave travels to Europe as my reason.

In the same spirit, once I will need to replace that Visa card, I will ask for their Mastercard.

Other than having to fight off a UnionPay card though, I have to say that I have been PERFECTLY happy with Bangkok Bank. And I've been using them since 2004. @ianguygil thanks for returning to the forum, I remember you've been a great help to many. I really like your implementation of cardless withdrawals and I assume this was your team - please keep up the great work!

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

In the same spirit, once I will need to replace that Visa card, I will ask for their Mastercard.

As I wrote above they didn't even ask about Union Pay but came out with the Mastercard.

Seems they have learned that "farangs" are hard to lure to Union Pay.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 6:41 PM, ctxa said:

Any chance you could suggest your superiors to stop being so picky with foreigners who don't have work permit? ????

I recently cancelled all my accounts with Bangkok Bank and transferred all the money I had deposited at Bangkok Bank to Krungsri bank. And trust me, it was no negligible amount.... 

But in the end I got fed up with all their hassles.... They only care about the damn work permit, they don't care that you don't work and that your visa is a Non-Immigrant totally unrelated to working in Thailand.

Any chance you could suggest to your own country's financial watchdogs that they allow Thai tourists or transient foreigners to open bank accounts?

And yes, there are non-immigrants who, similar to your laughable claims above, also have money which (trust me) is no negligible amount, but are rejected bank accounts in your country because, like Thailand, they have something called "rules" to follow.

If you have such substantial piles of money, get the Thailand Elite or apply for an investor's visa. 

• Sad 1

On 3/23/2021 at 12:48 PM, ianguygil said:

Savings Account (bangkokbank.com)

I renewed my Bangkok Bank debit card recently (Union Pay). On first inquiry, I was told to come back with my passport, which I was not carrying that day. A week or so later, for convenience, I went to another branch with my passport. The girl there said, no, I have to come back again with my old passport, because the old card was issued with my old passport. Then she added, I have to go to the branch in Chiang Mai where my account was opened. Did I do those things? Hell, no. I went back to the branch that told me to just bring my passport. Done in five minutes. Nobody ever mentioned a "reference letter."

This is something that we customers run into frequently. One bank teller is too lazy, poorly trained, ignorant (pick one) to do his/her job, so they make up "rules" to get rid of us. This is particularly frustrating when we have already been told what we need by a different employee or branch. "Jump through this hoop," she said. "Can do? Oh, then let's add a hoop and hold them higher."

Please pass this complaint along as well. I can name the branches involved, but not the employees. Customer service training sucks in Thailand. Your staff need to understand that they're not fooling anyone; customers know BS when they see it, whether we speak Thai or not.  BTW, all of the above business was conducted in Thai. I have been speaking, reading, writing the language for 44 years. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 12:03 AM, ianguygil said:

unfortunately, many businesses do not take UnionPay. 

Hence I have been keeping K-Bank account open, Visa accepted and easy to generate (and block) electronic Visa Card with limit of your choice that I use for internet payments.