The end is in sight: Thailand outlines plan for re-opening, target of no quarantine from 1 Oct

webfact

At one point, earlier this week, there was the detail floating around that they will only accept vaccinations occurring in the previous 90 days. Does that mean that those of us who travel for work will have to get vaccinated often and how safe if that.....(face palming)

• Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 1:28 PM, harada said:

I think they may be a bit optimistic on this, most of the people that I have spoken to, who, like myself have traveled around Asia quite a bit over the years are talking of 1 to 2 years to see how things pan out before they return.

I wouldn't count on the vast majority of Thais being vaccinated for a very long time, and the foreigners living in Thailand are last on the list if at all. Given that reality, many countries will ban their citizens from traveling to Thailand.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 9:39 AM, bermondburi said:

I found the opposite but I guess everyone's different. For me it got easier towards the end. 

My last 2-3 days were pure torture.. couldnt concentrate, couldnt read, couldnt watch TV.. Was clockwatching from wake up to sleep, minutes felt like hours.. 

Was odd how time perception can be so subjective. 

• Like 2

Phase 3 - from 1 Oct - the government is aiming to allow vaccinated tourists from low risk countries to enter Thailand without the need to quarantine. However, this will depend on the COVID-19 situation in Thailand and whether or not sufficient numbers of medical workers in the country have received the vaccination.

I wonder if the US will qualify as one of those "low risk" countries?  If not, they will lose a lot of tourist dollars.

First Period will be 10 day's ALL (actually 11 nights 12 days)

In the first phase of relaxation of quarantine from April 1 to June 30, quarantined travellers will be allowed to use the fitness centre and gym including outdoor exercise, pool and cycling in a controlled area. They will also be allowed to buy food and products outside the quarantine area

Screenshot 2021-03-21 093004.png

Edited by bolt

On 3/19/2021 at 9:44 PM, ThailandRyan said:

That is ancient news. Those articles are from early February. Look for articles after late February. More information is coming out everyday.

https://m.jpost.com/health-science/can-a-vaccinated-person-still-spread-coronavirus-660244

They can make all the plans they want, but the fact is that nobody knows the situation in 6 months. 

Thailand is yet to properly start vaccinating its population, and as far as I can tell, the schedule is very unclear. I've asked a few locals and nobody has any idea when they could potentially get a shot, meaning we are probably still months away from it. Until then, there remains a risk of more outbreaks and new lockdowns. If they have not vaccinated their own population up to say 70%, why would they allow international travel without quarantine considering how hysterically afraid the locals are of COVID-19?

Step 1. Vaccinate your own population (they can control this)

Step 2. Reopen without quarantine and without too many hurdles (they can control this)

Step 3. Hope that people actually want to travel and are allowed to travel back home without restrictions (not in their control)

Step 4. Hope that people want to travel to Thailand (not in their control)

At least in this statement they're not making some ridiculous estimate of tourism bouncing back to 2019 levels by the summer. That's not happening for a long time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hioctane said:

That is ancient news. Those articles are from early February. Look for articles after late February. More information is coming out everyday.

https://m.jpost.com/health-science/can-a-vaccinated-person-still-spread-coronavirus-660244

2 sides to every coin my man, 2 sides to every coin.  Peer reviewed studies and totality have yet to be conducted conclusively.  To believe one view of one study only is a fallacy that can lead to a total and abstract failure, especially if that study is done by the pharmaceutical company that produced the vaccine and has those doctors in their pockets.  After all it is about money now isn't it?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

I wouldn't count on the vast majority of Thais being vaccinated for a very long time, and the foreigners living in Thailand are last on the list if at all. Given that reality, many countries will ban their citizens from traveling to Thailand.

Or the dictatorship now in power in the UK, ban their citizens from travelling anywhere!  the (western) world's gone mad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

I live in Kanchanaburi. My local Health Centre phoned this morning and asked if I wanted the covid-19 vaccine when they were issued their supply. I was told it would be free.

Sounds good...which "flavour"?

22 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Nurse said most probably the AstraZeneca one but not sure when they will arrive.

It's good that they are beginning to register interest, but frustrating that like all other hospitals, (AFAIK), they do not have any date. I made inquiries at BNH in Bangkok. They said, "maybe May", and "maybe AZ", but clearly the "maybe" doesn't instill much confidence. I am 65, so the Sinovac is not applicable.

BNH is part of the Bangkok Dusit Medical Services (BDMS) network, which is the largest private hospital group in Thailand....

"...is one of the most prestigious hospital networks in the Asia-Pacific region, with 26 hospitals and/or clinical programs out of a total of 49 hospitals across the BDMS network that have been accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI). We are ranked in the top five private hospital groups globally in terms of Market Capitalization."

I don't think you'd get a better "pull" in sourcing vax from overseas.

I read on TV one of its members, Bangkok Hospital (Phuket) is already asking its patients to complete a questionnaire on details about obtaining the vax, but clearly it is not co-ordinated across the network. 

On 3/22/2021 at 11:32 AM, edwinchester said:

I live in Kanchanaburi. My local Health Centre phoned this morning and asked if I wanted the covid-19 vaccine when they were issued their supply. I was told it would be free.

How and where can I/we find information on getting vaccinated as foreigners? I live in Bangkok and haven't seen anything in the news about it...

34 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

How and where can I/we find information on getting vaccinated as foreigners? I live in Bangkok and haven't seen anything in the news about it...

BNH Hospital just sent me a message on the Line App.  Seems they are doing a survey on who needs the vaccine.  They must be getting ready, in my view, to start obtaining vaccines for vaccinations and must be checking on how much they might need.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

BNH Hospital just sent me a message on the Line App.  Seems they are doing a survey on who needs the vaccine.  They must be getting ready, in my view, to start obtaining vaccines for vaccinations and must be checking on how much they might need.

I had something similar from Bumrungrad a few weeks ago.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Can only suggest you contact your local Govt Health Centre. Ours seems particularly well organised. They phone the parents when their kids are due childhood vaccines, let us know when there is health screening available and certainly seem to be preparing for the covid-19 vaccine rollout when it happens.

On 3/19/2021 at 4:12 PM, Carrbhoy said:

This is my thoughts too. Covid will seep through any weakness shown during quarantine (allowing travellers to mingle when staying at the ASQ hotel if vaccinated etc)/ reduced timescales & has zero respect for the current whack-a-mole RAG internal controls currently in place around Thyailand and soon to be relaxed. All of these things combined, there will be further waves of Covid and lockdowns within Thailand as a result. They are not ready or prepared to live with a certain number of infections / deaths within society. It is Covid elimination strategy and lockdown as soon as there is any meaningful numbers in the community.

Take the hit and get in while you can if it is essential for you do so.

Get in while the door is open was my approach, as soon as the opportunity to do so presented itself.

Currently on day 4 quarantine of 14, not much different to 'working from home' for months in the UK, just have to look outside at the banana trees to confirm I am here, and feel good inside knowing I am on the last leg of quite a journey ???? another few days no problem

Good luck with lesser quarantine hopes, for me I have moved on from the uncertainty, anything that occurred after I landed in Thailand was simply something to be dealt with

Edited by 473geo

Thailand, once again,  will have to revise their optimistic expectations as the majority of countries around the world are reporting increase in new cases on a daily basis, there is only 1 country (no surprise here)  China !!! reporting a minimal/insignificant number of new infections,  China's best friend Vlad reported an big increase in new cases .... the report made by a Chinese news agency (Xinhua), how reliable is it ??? anybody's guess

https://www.chinadailyhk.com/article/161513

Friday, March 26, 2021, 11:38
Mainland reports 11 new infections, all imported
By Xinhua

https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/268205136/russia-adds-9221-covid-19-infections

Russia adds 9,221 COVID-19 infections

Xinhua
25th March 2021, 22:55 GMT+11

Edited by Mavideol

5 hours ago, 473geo said:

Get in while the door is open was my approach, as soon as the opportunity to do so presented itself.

Currently on day 4 quarantine of 14, not much different to 'working from home' for months in the UK, just have to look outside at the banana trees to confirm I am here, and feel good inside knowing I am on the last leg of quite a journey ???? another few days no problem

Good luck with lesser quarantine hopes, for me I have moved on from the uncertainty, anything that occurred after I landed in Thailand was simply something to be dealt with

To clarify, I'm not waiting / hoping on lesser quarantine - I'm waiting on my 2 doses of vaccine and for the 'essential travel' rules to be relaxed. I will be on the first plane to Thailand after that. Hopefully have the 2nd dose during July. If that means 15 days in ASQ - so be it.

What 'essential travel' reason did you use? If by August, International travel is still restricted, I may need to look at a volunteering option to get round it.

Hope the remainder of time in ASQ flies by. Enjoy your time in Thailand.

17 minutes ago, Carrbhoy said:

To clarify, I'm not waiting / hoping on lesser quarantine - I'm waiting on my 2 doses of vaccine and for the 'essential travel' rules to be relaxed. I will be on the first plane to Thailand after that. Hopefully have the 2nd dose during July. If that means 15 days in ASQ - so be it.

What 'essential travel' reason did you use? If by August, International travel is still restricted, I may need to look at a volunteering option to get round it.

Hope the remainder of time in ASQ flies by. Enjoy your time in Thailand.

I used medical other compassionate reason and in comments put redundant returning to family, for my address I put our home in Thailand

Edited by 473geo

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I used medical other compassionate reason and in comments put redundant returning to family, for my address I put our home in Thailand

Thanks for confirming. I don't have a valid reason so need the eligibility criteria to be relaxed or go down the volunteer route. I would prefer to enter on a Tourist visa & move to Non Imm O for Retirement once I reach 50 end of the year. Hopefully things change by Aug.