Open bank acct foriegner

kazoo55

10 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Edit: I just checked the Kasikorn website - they don't even mention a work permit, proof of residence and passport are the only requirements.

https://kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Account/Pages/savings.aspx

image.thumb.png.daded456a7db707ef0af35bee74faa7a.png

They don't mention a work permit because these are the requirements for Thais. A foreigner doesn't have a "National ID card (Smart Card)"

I once asked them about it:

kasikorn.thumb.png.548d3944b328d0ffebf72711f21f9218.png

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Good for you. You actually needed and got a loan for 50k.

What does that have to do with opening a bank account in Ubon?

Op, my experience is is Bangkok Bank is pretty flexible about opening accounts. Maybe give them a try. If you can make a decent sized initial deposit it may offset any work permit requirements.

Good luck.

It was an example for the OP  for SCB and their service, at least to me, and it wasn't for your benefit, so your comment, as usual, was unnecessary. 

• Like 1

Central Plaza gets a lot of farang customers (relatively speaking!) so I would think the banks there are more familiar with foreigners, and would be my first stop. When I opened my account with Krungsri, 30 km out of Ubon city, the first thing they said was “work permit”. I politely told them” no, I am retired. Please check with Head Office”. The woman rang up Bangkok, who talked her through the process of dealing with a foreigner.

If you are married, or defacto,  start with her bank. You will probably need a certificate of Residence from Immigration, although my wife’s tabien baan and a signed note that I was living with her there was enough in my case.

Edited by MikeN
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Thanks for this advice, next time I am in Bangkok I'm going to try and open an account there, I won't try it in Ubon - here it seems nobody can speak passable English at any of the banks that I tried, whereas in Bangkok they usually had at least one staff member that could speak decent English.

I recently opened an account with SCB in a neighbouring province without work permit or residence certificate. I did have some help from a family friend SCB executive in BKK.

I mentioned the problems some expats have with opening accounts and they said its mostly due to some staff having limited English.

Judging by all the paperwork wanting to know if I was American or held money in the USA I can see why yanks have a problem opening an account.

As for a residence certificate, my local immigration office won't issue one before my 1st 90 day report unless its requested by an embassy or a govt department. I was told the same by an Elite visa rep at CW rwo weeks ago.

Edited by Farma
grrr autocorrect
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, jackdd said:

Get a one year rental contract and take it together with your passport to Krungsri, they will most likely open a bank account for you, type of visa doesn't matter, can be done with a tourist visa. If one branch denies you just go to another.

Agree Krungsri  seem to be the easiest/friendliest even with a tourist visa, and once you have a one year visa/extension you can open an account with them that will pay 1% pa. no tax to pay not huge but nearly enough to buy a box of beer monthly.????

18 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Edit: I just checked the Kasikorn website - they don't even mention a work permit, proof of residence and passport are the only requirements.

Opened an account @ 6 months ago and they required additional information from what was on the website. Sent an email to info @ bank was told there may be additional requirements at branches which is required from branch manager.  It was another document and after that opened account 

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Bangkok Bank does not require a work permit. But they do mention a letter from your embassy and etc.

See: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

If you have a yellow book it's no problem and no embassy letter required either (only an hour and a half to complete all  the paperwork), just did it on Thursday 18th March 2021.

• 2 weeks later...

BANGKOK BANK website:

Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.