Phuket: Thais in poverty because foreign tourists stopped coming - island's tourism obliterated

rooster59

20 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Dare we ask where all those millions they earned in previous years have gone ?   They are so good at gouging the people that visit but not one thought of 'saving for a rainy day' ever comes to mind.

Aside from that we have always been told down the years that Thailand is not a Tourist reliant country and in fact tourism is a quite small contributor to the overall economy !

A "Rainy Day" is not quite the same as a year already and probably another year to come as well. There can't be many businesses big enough to sustain a living with more than 80% of its lifeblood gone for so much time.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

Why anyone want to go to Male in the Maldives, is beynd me!!

Here is why I think that! (I hope you`ll see the picture).

Cheers!   

What-Pilots-See.pdf (1).pdf 4.79 MB · 10 downloads

People don't go to Male - they land at the airport and then straight off to individual atolls or islets.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tgw said:

I feel sorry for the many good, friendly, honest and hard-working people I met there when on holidays.

I do not feel sorry for the handful of dishonest scammers and people who insult foreigners in Thai language, thinking they don't understand.
Thankfully, these were only few people, although Phuket seemed to have more of the sort than other Thai destinations I visited.

Tone of voice, and Body Language always give the game away for the insulting, rude and lazy.

You dont need to speak a single word of any Foreign language to know when you are being insulted.

28 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

People need to stop and look at the big picture.  Sure, many Thais from the tourist industry are hurting. And yes, tourists aren’t coming, mainly due to Covid restrictions in their home countries, and quarantine here.  But what caused this?  China’ unleashed the virus on the world.  You can’t blame tourists for not coming.

And the US "unleashed" the Spanish flu which was a lot worse than Covid.

Central Asia "unleashed" the black death.

Stop with the stupid, unproven accusations.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Perhaps during these poverty stricken times, Phuket needs to revisit poor treatment of tourists, scams and all the other bad things. 

Long long ago! I think 1970! Things never change! Ski boat scams in Pattaya was the fore runner for Phuket!

Has anyone considered the possibility that south East Asian people might have a natural resistance to covid 19 due to a genetic trait. I don’t believe that Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia did anything special to contain the virus, they live in crowded households and that should spread the disease easily. 

• Like 2

Would be hard to keep tourists in Phuket from escaping to other parts of non vaccinated spots in thailand...

Other provinces would complain of preferential treatment for Phuket...

only answer - allow vaccinated tourists into thailand...put pressure on gov to vaccinate their own people ASAP...

enough of dragging your feet...

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

"Phuket had the highest standard of living in the south in 2019 with average income of 400,000 baht a person. "

Misleading average value. Much of the money went to the handful of families who own the land that were paid the high rents, and who owned the local hotel interests. With most of the large revenue makers like the resorts, shopping malls , and retail chains, the Thai ownership was not in Phuket. The majority of people were paid subsistence + a % that allowed them to finance purchases of home and auto. The typical  worker was from off island and left long ago.    If the locals had been as well paid as  claimed, they would not be so many desperate people begging and borrowing.

You blame Thailand for having a responsible screening process that will protect the country and tourism sector in the long run.  Quarantine is not the issue. Other countries have quarantine or travel restriction that make travel to and from Thailand difficult.  Thailand is the smart one here, and it has taken months for the UK and the EU to admit that their travel openness is what  is in large part responsible for their 3rd wave now.  

Much of the world is not vaccinated. It will take  3-6months+ for the numbers to be sufficient to financially justify increased flights. The  vaccines  are not shown to be effective against the new deadlier and more infectious variants from South Africa  and Brazil. No one  even knows if  vaccine prevents transmission. And here you come to criticize and demand  that Thailand stop quarantine and instead allow people to enter a country where few people are vaccinated. You want millions of Thais to be at risk in a country that does not have  resources to care for thousands of  infected people.

No, Thailand has done the right thing, both financially, and ethically.  The cost of an infected coutnry  where the economy would grind to a standstill is far worse than the  hardship of  a small sector of the economy. Tens of millions of Thais are  doing just fine. They won't be if Covid19 takes hold.

My relatives and friends back in my home country (France) write to me to say how envious they are of me for being able to live a normal life here in Thailand. The tourism business is in dire straits, no doubt about it, and one may commiserate with those who lost their jobs but the country seems not to be doing too badly in comparison. This being said, one must hope vaccinations start soon so tourism can slowly restart. As for Phuket's reputation, I have heard a lot of negative opinions but not experienced it’s dark side: true, my last trip there was 18 years ago.