Phuket: Thais in poverty because foreign tourists stopped coming - island's tourism obliterated

rooster59

22 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Perhaps during these poverty stricken times, Phuket needs to revisit poor treatment of tourists, scams and all the other bad things. 

22 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Perhaps during these poverty stricken times, Phuket needs to revisit poor treatment of tourists, scams and all the other bad things. 

22 hours ago, andy said:

LOL, you could vaccinate the entire population of Phuket tomorrow and there will still be zero tourists coming as long as quarantine requirements remain in place.  Quarantine = no tourists, what an incredibly difficult concept to comprehend - maybe in 2027 a light bulb will go on and someone in power will get it...

I hoped I could come back before my extension of stay expires. Now it's expired and I have to ask for a new visa so, as long as there is quarantine, whatever the number of days, covid-19 insurance and COE, I will not come back.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gravity101 said:

However her comparison of Maldives and Phuket being similar is ridiculous. There are travel requirements for Maldives,

Only requirement for a tourist entering the Maldives is a negative PCR test within 72 hours of travel. No quarantine. Far different in Phuket.

Yes, the western tourists left, and it is questionable if they will come back.

It all boils down to profit maximisation by the rich, the poor took away too much.....

The western tourists came for the little people, not for the rich.

And Chinese come only one time, they are not coming back time and time again like the western tourists.

Everybody lost, even the Chinese investors..

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

I think your logic is a bit flawed, how can they treat tourists better if there aren't any?

Are you suggesting they deserve to be poor because of a perceived failing in customer service?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Yes, the western tourists left, and it is questionable if they will come back.

It all boils down to profit maximisation by the rich, the poor took away too much.....

The western tourists came for the little people, not for the rich.

And Chinese come only one time, they are not coming back time and time again like the western tourists.

Everybody lost, even the Chinese investors..

Chinese represent about half of all visitors to Thailand....I don't think Phuket is an exception.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The big money that workers earned in Phuket during the halcyon days helped the economy all over Thailand. The majority of tourism workers came from villages and towns in Isaan and many other rural areas. Their high wages flowed back to their families and the local economies. Phuket, Pattaya and other major tourism centers have emptied out because the workers have returned to their villages where all will be feeling the strain of lost income.

Phuket is an Island, but not a self contained country hoarding it's wealth within it's borders. Tourism tax dollars flow back to the capital and helps pay for all the roads, trains, and facilities enjoyed in other areas.

To gloat and revel in the loss of a major industry that drew huge international funds into the country shows a lack of critical thinking and a failure to grasp basic economic concepts. What if it was rice exports that were suddenly obliterated? Would that invoke glee because a few make massive profits from it?

Of course Phuket was expensive! There were ripoffs, particularly with public transport. This is Thailand, a few big players will always put self interest and greed ahead of the national good. That's what happens in an autocracy.

Where do you people with your heads in the sand actual live?

I didn't know win taxis were classed as big players...come to think of it nor tuk tuks, souvenir shops, restaurants, bars, beach vendors...all classed as big players..

• Confused 1

On 3/20/2021 at 7:23 PM, bwpage3 said:

mmmmmmm ya think? Hello, Phuket? You listening? . . . . . . . (silence). Unfortunately, I think that those kinds of issues exist on a different plane from the direct effects of the pandemic. Rooting them out would require some cohesive leadership which would HAVE to come from the local business leaders, who would HAVE to acknowledge that part of the problem  and be willing to tackle it head on. By its nature, mistreatment of tourism is a multi headed snake and to even acknowledge it is to lose face. Is there courage enough to look at it anyway? How about courage/business sense being on the same page? Very tough prospect indeed. Needs more publicity methinks

“Because foreign tourists stopped going because of the pandemic. 

It relied on foreigners and when they stopped coming their standard of living - the highest in the south - went completely down the pan...”

I’m sorry, but is this supposed to be new news to anyone? 

• Haha 2

Getting rid of the  quarantine is the best start plus cancel the expensive insurance requirements.

This is a huge deterrent.  The Thai government can't have it all ways.  I believe the foreigners who

visit or live in Thailand, pay their medical bills; few don't which is immaterial. 

Governments exist for one main reason, to make all people's lives miserable.

• Like 2

I’ve been reading stories like this for the last year.  The whole country should risk endangering itself so the folks in Phuket (and Pattaya, and Samui, etc) can make money.  

A year of seeing TAT propose brain dead ideas in the media only to get shot down by medical officials.  

I don’t take joy in what is happening to the people in these areas, but maybe this should be a wake up call that they need to diversify the economies in these tourism hotspots.  

It says a lot that in the past year that there has been few proposals to bring other industries to these places, and almost no progress along those lines, but every week there’s renewed demands to turn the tourist faucet back on.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

had planned on visiting there next month on holiday but flights are 6000 baht return each

no thanks

Wow, that’s like $180 USD. Let me know when you can get cheaper than that. 

• Sad 1

On 3/20/2021 at 7:23 PM, bwpage3 said:

Should have saved for a rainy day its not just thais here that are skint what about the farangs thqt have busineses here that have gone to the wall 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1