Phuket: Thais in poverty because foreign tourists stopped coming - island's tourism obliterated

rooster59

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

I didn't know win taxis were classed as big players...come to think of it nor tuk tuks, souvenir shops, restaurants, bars, beach vendors...all classed as big players..

If you don't know nor understand how it all works you're better off not debating the subject. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I personally don't feel any sorry for them, they exploited us (tourists & expats) as much they could, if they didn't know how to save/manage their money it's their problem, they have nobody else to blame but themselves and their own government

as an example, back November 2019 had some friends visiting, they stayed in Krabi and wanted to visit Phi Phi, they asked me to buy the tickets and at that time was charged (From Ao Nang to Phi Phi) 700 baht round trip speed boat per person and an additional fee of 400 baht per person for a so called "Park entry fee" I asked what that was and the poor unconvincing explanation was that every body has to pay 400 baht to visit Phi Phi, then I ask for receipts and was provided with the speed boat receipts but no Park entry fee receipts available, with us on the boat  were a total of 16 people  x 400 = 6,400  baht and we were asked to pay in cash, where that money went???? now this is from Krabi and when we arrived at Phi Phi maybe 20+ speed boats there and some with more people then ours and some with less as well, I imagine the same must have happened in Phuket and maybe the trip from Phuket is more expensive or maybe the park entry fee is the same, how many boats a day did Phi Phi received and that would be a 7 day a week 30 day month income, all cash, who got that money, quite sure the tour operators got the higher % of it, why are they crying out the blues now, they should revised their way of exploiting tourists/expats and maybe we will start to give them good comments and ratings and that may help some tourists get more confident in coming here because as it stands now many of the people I know don't intend to come back any time soon

This thread is about Phuket not Krabi nor Phi Phi in that same Province.

If you want to know more about the massive thievery involving park entry fees for Phi Phi do some research. It was all exposed eventually, although I think that was before the date you're stating.

22 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

"Phuket had the highest standard of living in the south in 2019 with average income of 400,000 baht a person. "

Misleading average value. Much of the money went to the handful of families who own the land that were paid the high rents, and who owned the local hotel interests. With most of the large revenue makers like the resorts, shopping malls , and retail chains, the Thai ownership was not in Phuket. The majority of people were paid subsistence + a % that allowed them to finance purchases of home and auto. The typical  worker was from off island and left long ago.    If the locals had been as well paid as  claimed, they would not be so many desperate people begging and borrowing.

You blame Thailand for having a responsible screening process that will protect the country and tourism sector in the long run.  Quarantine is not the issue. Other countries have quarantine or travel restriction that make travel to and from Thailand difficult.  Thailand is the smart one here, and it has taken months for the UK and the EU to admit that their travel openness is what  is in large part responsible for their 3rd wave now.  

Much of the world is not vaccinated. It will take  3-6months+ for the numbers to be sufficient to financially justify increased flights. The  vaccines  are not shown to be effective against the new deadlier and more infectious variants from South Africa  and Brazil. No one  even knows if  vaccine prevents transmission. And here you come to criticize and demand  that Thailand stop quarantine and instead allow people to enter a country where few people are vaccinated. You want millions of Thais to be at risk in a country that does not have  resources to care for thousands of  infected people.

No, Thailand has done the right thing, both financially, and ethically.  The cost of an infected coutnry  where the economy would grind to a standstill is far worse than the  hardship of  a small sector of the economy. Tens of millions of Thais are  doing just fine. They won't be if Covid19 takes hold.

All though your comments sound reasonable, it remains to be seen if the "cure" is worse than the disease.  So much disinformation and opinion does little to reveal the truth, if that is even possible taking into account the corruption and a protectionist  culture for saving the all mighty "face". I am not privy as to how many millions of any ethnicity or nationality are doing well or otherwise. I can only speak for myself and view a snapshot of those around me...which isn't on such a grand scale.

8 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

I think 'Trainman' was trying to say that throughout the 'good years' people should have been icing a little back in case the 'good years' went away!

Earnings are relative to the standard of living: larger income-earners could/should have been putting away more than those who earned less -- for that 'rainy day'!

It's not only a Thai thing -- it's a global failure that people don't save for hard times! This pandemic has shown the folly of spending and borrowing without care.

Thais dont save.  Eastern philosophy and thai culture believe much more in the live for today, as tomorrow is not promised.  So they spend as soon as they get.  Its hard to teach your Thai woman to save, they just want to spend.  Believing that tomorrow is not promised and it will work itself out. That of course is a generalization of many Thai and does not mean all Thai by any stretch of the imagination.  It is just their way of life as they understand it.  much like in the West, we generally are more worried about tomorrow, that many never really live until ?retirement?  if they make it that far.   I cant count how many people say they will do this or that or go here or there after they retire and then once retired realize they can afford it now or have other obligations or their health isnt there, or are simply too old to do what they thought they would do one day.   Somewhere in between, a "Happy Medium" is the best approach I feel.   Oh well, to each their own right!

• Like 1

I am on the fence, I have visited thailand 3-4 times a years for over 20 years - I will be vaccinated in the beginning of April and I want to travel from the USA , why not let vaccinated people with proof come over ? I am not waiting till Oct 1 to take a vacation and I am not quarantining in a hotel where I live is nice than most hotels why would I want to travel 24 hours to watch TV all day  = there are plenty of places closer to me and cheaper over all to go to that I can go to right now. I know the holier than thou expats will be screaming to stay home , but I bet I bring a lot more money into the country to spend than they do- since most of them couldn't even cut it in their own countries so they had to leave  telling  me what to do is pretty cheeky  

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 4:28 PM, Patong2021 said:

"Phuket had the highest standard of living in the south in 2019 with average income of 400,000 baht a person. "

Misleading average value. Much of the money went to the handful of families who own the land that were paid the high rents, and who owned the local hotel interests. With most of the large revenue makers like the resorts, shopping malls , and retail chains, the Thai ownership was not in Phuket. The majority of people were paid subsistence + a % that allowed them to finance purchases of home and auto. The typical  worker was from off island and left long ago.    If the locals had been as well paid as  claimed, they would not be so many desperate people begging and borrowing.

You blame Thailand for having a responsible screening process that will protect the country and tourism sector in the long run.  Quarantine is not the issue. Other countries have quarantine or travel restriction that make travel to and from Thailand difficult.  Thailand is the smart one here, and it has taken months for the UK and the EU to admit that their travel openness is what  is in large part responsible for their 3rd wave now.  

Much of the world is not vaccinated. It will take  3-6months+ for the numbers to be sufficient to financially justify increased flights. The  vaccines  are not shown to be effective against the new deadlier and more infectious variants from South Africa  and Brazil. No one  even knows if  vaccine prevents transmission. And here you come to criticize and demand  that Thailand stop quarantine and instead allow people to enter a country where few people are vaccinated. You want millions of Thais to be at risk in a country that does not have  resources to care for thousands of  infected people.

No, Thailand has done the right thing, both financially, and ethically.  The cost of an infected coutnry  where the economy would grind to a standstill is far worse than the  hardship of  a small sector of the economy. Tens of millions of Thais are  doing just fine. They won't be if Covid19 takes hold.

Yet European nations are investing huge amounts of money to compensate those individuals and businesses financially stricken by Covid.

What precisely has the Thai government done in that respect ?

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 10:23 PM, bwpage3 said:

Perhaps during these poverty stricken times, Phuket needs to revisit poor treatment of tourists, scams and all the other bad things. 

Scam us once scam us twice scam us thrice noooooo,

Elementary my Dear Watson 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 7:35 PM, trainman34014 said:

They are so good at gouging the people that visit but not one thought of 'saving for a rainy day' ever comes to mind

Saving for a rainy day and saving day for a rainy year are two different things. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 8:00 PM, madmitch said:

Could you explain how someone earning 33,000 baht a month can save millions?

If the living wage is 6000 why spend 33000 why not live of 13000 then save the rest in 4 years you have 1000000 then at 13000 at month you have enough for 8 years .but Thai people live for today and like to show off when they have money .but hey ho it's come home to roost now.i see it where we are workers returning with nothing after years of earning big money.its the Thai way never change.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 7:23 PM, bwpage3 said:

Perhaps during these poverty stricken times, Phuket needs to revisit poor treatment of tourists, scams and all the other bad things. 

I agree with you 100% These ???????? thieves don't deserve our money and I have ABSOLUTELY NO SYMPATHY FOR THEM ????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Desire2016 said:

I don't know where they come up with the income figures 33,000bt per month as an average wage my wife is a pharmacy assistant and earns 16,000pm 

Staff in restaurants take home around 10-12k a month 

Their numbers probably include doing short time work after normal working hours.

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2021 at 6:55 PM, rooster59 said:

Meanwhile Thailand has been criticized for its slow vaccine rollout and October the 1st has been set as the target date for the resumption of foreign tourism on a large scale.

But that is more than six months away.

Just to quote as an example: 

Uk has already administered 36 million first doses to it's population, with a daily figure of around 800,000 injections.
To date Thailand has managed what, latest news it has ordered 800,000 doses?

That's one days supply in a country that is going in the right direction..

Thailand as usual is giving the odd injection to elite faces or Bang Khae residents to stop another wave spreading, along with a photo/TV show to try to convince the public they are doing everything.

Just get the job done Prayut, stop playing around with politics.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Xonax said:

The Cash Cow is still very much alive in Phuket and many other parts of Thailand. I am in the market for a luxury beach holiday in the second half of 2021. All hotels and resorts are struggling to survive, but many are still hustling to get premium Farang prices.  I would even consider Phuket this time, as the hordes of tourists are lacking right now, but when I was quoted 1,500 Baht on top for a 20 minute airport-transfer, I decided to give it a miss.

Very few hotels can justify the ridicously high prices they are charging, as labor and construction-costs are very low in Thailand, which should be reflected in the prices. Plenty of beachfront land for sale as well, but it is probably owned by a very few very rich people, who can control to keep the prices over the top.  I guess that they are afraid, that it will be difficult to raise the prices to previous heights, if they should just charge reasonable prices during the pandemic.

Typical Thai economics; if nobody is buying then you need to increase the prices to make up for it. 

Keep dreaming , Tourisim is finished for a good while yet not sain person will travel overseas for a holiday facing quaranteen , over infated baht shall i go on oh i almost forgot, and to wear a Location Braclet + a phone app  like a criminal so Immigration knows where you are at all times!!

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 5:23 AM, bwpage3 said:

Seems to me they will raise their prices for tourists. Make up that lost money. : )

• Like 1