Adopting a Thai orphan

giruz

HI,

My wife and I are living in UK. I have a EU & UK passports while she has Thai & UK, we have been together for 15 years, married for 5 and have been trying for a baby for a long time but due to a medical condition she can't have one (also tried in-vitro both in UK & Spain using an egg donor).

We are not starting to think that adoption is the only way for have a child so I wanted to check if it was possible to try to adopt a child in Thailand (ideally very young or infant). I did some research and found a bunch of agency that could help for a fee but it's hard to say which ones are good vs. which ones are scummy of not a scam.

Anyone has adopted this way? Any suggestions?

If needed, we can temporarily move to Thailand to get all the paperwork in place as we can both work remotely.

Thanks!

Curious I just answered this in another thread.

My wife wanted to adopt her Grandson, the child of her son from a previous marriage and bring him to the US

The legal advise we got was; even if both parents agree, or indeed any adoption, the adopting parent needs to have been resident in Thailand for two years at the time of the application.

This probably isn't the news you wanted to hear, as it wasn't the news my wife wanted to hear either!

Edited by GinBoy2

Hi Giruz,

I am so sorry to hear about your fertility struggles. 

First, you do not need to live in country in order to adopt. That option is for non-Thai families living in Thailand who want to adopt and are not using a private agency. Those families must continue to live in Thailand for two years after finalization of adoption. This is to prevent child trafficking. 

Many families from the UK and Europe have adopted Thai children using private agencies. Do a little Googling to find out which agencies are working with Thailand. In the U.S., many families adopt through Holt International.

Since your wife is Thai, there may be other options open to you, too. Please reach out to the Child Adoption Agency in Bangkok. 

Edited by Frogmountain
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Frogmountain said:

Hi Giruz,

First, you do not need to live in country in order to adopt. That option is for non-Thai families living in Thailand who want to adopt and are not using a private agency. Those families must continue to live in Thailand for two years after finalization of adoption. This is to prevent child trafficking. 

Many families from the UK and Europe have adopted Thai children using private agencies. Do a little Googling to find out which agencies are working with Thailand. In the U.S., many families adopt through Holt International.

Since your wife is Thai, there may be other options open to you, too. Please reach out to the Child Adoption Agency in Bangkok. 

Here is the contact info: 

Thailand - Central Authority
Child Adoption Center
Department of Children and Youth
Ministry of Social Development and Human Security
Ratchawithi Home for Girls
255 Ratchawithi Road 
Ratchathewi District
Bangkok 10400

Tel. / tél. : +66 (2) 3068821; +66 (2) 3068801
Fax / télécopie: + 66(2) 3547511

E-mail / courriel: [email protected]
Website / site web : www.dcy.go.th/webnew/oppnews/      

Contact person / Personne à contacter:

Mrs. Prapimdao Satake
Director, Child Adoption Center
Ms. Chintana Watcharakul
Director of Central Authority and Intercountry Adoption Group

48 minutes ago, Frogmountain said:

On 3/21/2021 at 11:07 AM, Frogmountain said:

Hi Giruz,

My wife is obviously Thai, and the attorney told us she would have to be resident in Thailand for 2 years before the adoption could be approved.

That's a long time out of Grandma's life.

If adoptive parents can do that it's great, but it's heck of a time investment.

For us it was for family, but for the OP I would suggest overseas adoption from other countries may be simpler

Edited by GinBoy2