12v recessed down lights for bathroom

STD Warehouse

Im not having any luck fining 12v recessed LED down lights to get installed in my bathrooms.

I cant see any on Homepro website (apart from the actual LED bulbs), i want to get the fixtures with transformer. Also cant find any on Lazada.

Anyone have any experience buying these?

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Why not just use standard and change the bulb to LED ? or am I missing something ?

Sorry im a bit new to this electric stuff.

What do you mean? Buy a standard 12v recessed downlight? yes I would like to but I have not seen any of these on the Homepro website or on Lazada

I thought a standard recessed downlights would be 220v? then if i put a 12v LED bulb in there it would blow?

Don't I need a 220 to 12v transformer? Then can i connect this to a standard recessed downlight? and will a 12v LED bulb fit tis fixture?

for example i want to install a light like this

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1087461

but I want it 12v as its in the bathroom

In the UK i could buy something like this on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trango-set-furniture-spotlight-conventional/dp/B01A5QDOA6/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=12v+led+recessed+downlight&qid=1616317955&sr=8-5

Edited by STD Warehouse

Just now, STD Warehouse said:

but these 8w bulbs are not 12v are they? 

No they are not. I dont know why, unless you have a power shortage etc why you want to step them down to 12v.

I am no Electrician and can only speak of my experience here. The "experts" will be along in due course to advise. Crossy is your man ! 

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You can get 12V MR16 lamps here that will fit in regular MR16 fittings if you are worried. Locate the "transformer" (actually an electronic power supply) outside the wet area.

thanks!

A few questions

1) Do I need to buy the transfer separately?

2) Most LED recessed downlights I have seen come with the LED bulb,  do I need to buy this then remove the bulb and replace it with a bulb like this one https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1039063

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The bulbs are COB = circuit on board, meaning you plug 220v into them directly. The LED part is still working at 6 - 12 volts.

sorry for my lack of knowledge but I don't understand.

The 12v bulbs work by plugging 220v into them, with no transformer?

OK, let's clear some things up. LEDs and COB themselves are inherently low voltage. The "220V" LEDs have the electronics that reduces the voltage built in.

You can get COB downlighters with separate driver boxes which you can extend the low voltage side be several metres if you wish.

There are also plenty of IP65 (bathroom) rated units that are just fine even if 220V. Protect them with a RCBO (which you should have anyway) and there's zero hazard (I wouldn't put them within reach of someone in the shower mind).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK, let's clear some things up. LEDs and COB themselves are inherently low voltage. The "220V" LEDs have the electronics that reduces the voltage built in.

You can get COB downlighters with separate driver boxes which you can extend the low voltage side be several metres if you wish.

There are also plenty of IP65 (bathroom) rated units that are just fine even if 220V. Protect them with a RCBO (which you should have anyway) and there's zero hazard (I wouldn't put them within reach of someone in the shower mind).

ok thanks, although Im even more confused now, lol.

What exactly do I need to buy then?

Are there 12v LED recessed downlights sold in thailand which have the 220v-12v transformer built in?

5 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

Are there 12v LED recessed downlights sold in thailand which have the 220v-12v transformer built in?

I've certainly seen them with a separate driver box ("transformer").

Best bet is to have a look in HomePro for IP65 (bathroom) rated fittings you like the look of then sort out lamps for them.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I've certainly seen them with a separate driver box ("transformer").

Best bet is to have a look in HomePro for IP65 (bathroom) rated fittings you like the look of then sort out lamps for them.

ok thanks.

So the IP65 fitting would still require a 12v transfer which i would buy seperatly?

IP65 is Ingress Protection 65 (waterproof).

The MR16 version of this would do the trick, add a 12V lamp and transformer (probably one transformer for several lights) and you're good to go.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/downlight-bathroom-gu10mr16-fitting-ceiling-spot-lights-ip65-recessed-downlights-for-bathroom-shower-down-light-fixtures-i2009208720-s6467334221.html?

Note, the photos show the GU10 type which are 220V lamps, you need the MR16 option.

1 hour ago, STD Warehouse said:

Anyone have any experience buying these?

I done my whole house 3 months ago, brought from Global house & Do-Home. They were just on 110 baht then gone up to 129 baht now, they are square (round if you want) and have a sliding piece that fits into the down light hole that I think you have there now.

So bright

You can get a whole range of them, larger ones can be Voice activated if you want, (on-off-Dim) in Thai of course.

.https://www.globalhouse.co.th/catalog/catagory/11/1

image.png.2e19acafb46f19b56ca840a37b380969.png

1 minute ago, sanuk711 said:

I done my whole house 3 months ago, brought from Global house & Do-Home. They were just on 110 baht then gone up to 129 baht now, they are square (round if you want) and have a sliding piece that fits into the down light hole that I think you have there now.

So bright

You can get a whole range of them, larger ones can be Voice activated if you want, (on-off-Dim) in Thai of course.

BUT they are 220V!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

So bright

image.png.2e19acafb46f19b56ca840a37b380969.png

these are IP65 with a MR16 fitting?

Im no expert,

But it it where me fitting the lights, the only time I would install 12v, would be if my power supply was 12v.

220v with low watt Led would do for me.

Having transformers inside my ceiling space wouldn't be ideal for a few reasons, the main one being access when maintaining or replacing.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

IP65 is Ingress Protection 65 (waterproof).

The MR16 version of this would do the trick, add a 12V lamp and transformer (probably one transformer for several lights) and you're good to go.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/downlight-bathroom-gu10mr16-fitting-ceiling-spot-lights-ip65-recessed-downlights-for-bathroom-shower-down-light-fixtures-i2009208720-s6467334221.html?

would a transformer like this (I was looking at in Homepro) be something I should get?

Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 17.24.42.png