Samui Songkran 2021

Hi Everyone,

Following a great 10 days in Samui at Christmas & New Year, I am optimistic that Songkran will be great too ????Booked Malibu Beach Resort 10th to 18th (8 nights) opposite Central Festival on Chaweng.

Trying to make a loose plan for what to do. Is it fair to assume that it will be a similar state of "openess" as it was over Xmas, with a few night venues open on soi Green Mango and Fisherman's Village, then not much else? 

Authorities are planning "no water fights" in Bangkok, I assume that will carry through to Samui too? Any news on that? I have not been to Samui during Songkran for several years, so I don't know if there any Mecca that folks are usually drawn to?

I would love to peoples insight as to what to expect, just for general interest and so I can plan ahead a bit. 

Thanks in advance.

30 minutes ago, corkman said:

I would love to peoples insight as to what to expect, just for general interest and so I can plan ahead a bit. 

Thanks in advance.

In my modest view, don't expect too much.

There are at present indications of that part of the usual nightlife might reopen by April 1st. However, If you dream about getting soaking wet during Songkran, staying beachfront is a benefit, so you can take a swim...????

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 9:32 PM, khunPer said:

In my modest view, don't expect too much.

There are at present indications of that part of the usual nightlife might reopen by April 1st. However, If you dream about getting soaking wet during Songkran, staying beachfront is a benefit, so you can take a swim...????

Hi Khun Per,

I'm actually not a fan of the 72hr non stop soaking, and the inevitable sickness that follows. So that's music to me ears ????

But hopefully there will be some "dry" celebration in the usual places with a good DJ and lively crowd along Soi Green Mango such as Hust, Green Mango, and a few others; and of course CoCo's, SEEN, Chi Bar, etc. 

Flight seem quite busy / booked. That's a good sign. 

• Like 2

I cannot comment on night life - that is khunPer's speciality.

From the point of view re rental villas, we are fully booked from 10/4 to 17/4 with many villas having guests out and in on the same day during the holiday period. Lots of 2/3 day bookings plus the long stays.

I am sending out advice for guests coming during Songkran, to pre-book ferries and/or rental cars now.

On Samui, in peak times, rental companies often run out of vehicles.

Do not just turn up and expect a car to be available. Pre-book and the rental company will bring in extra cars before they run out.

There will be long queues at Donsak/Samui ferry terminals with people arriving and departing. Not just holiday makers - the majority of Samui's 'supplies' come on the ferries. They get priority.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

There will be long queues at Donsak/Samui ferry terminals with people arriving and departing. Not just holiday makers - the majority of Samui's 'supplies' come on the ferries. They get priority.

It seems even during weekdays in weeks with no public holidays the Seatran is very busy. Had 3 trips to the mainland in the last 2 months and ferry was always packed and chance of getting an earlier ferry than the booked one was zero. Ferry seems almost worse than during highseason in normal times. 

It must be a combination of Seatran running less ferries and more domestic tourists coming to Samui by private car.  International tourists coming from the mainland tend to travel by Bus/Minibus

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll be arriving by air, and usually I just use Grab Taxi to get around. In the end, it is cost neutral or cheaper. Although for first timers to Samui, car hire is great. But I'll be doing less exploring, and more relaxing than your average visitor, having been there several times a year over the last two decades ????

Great to hear that ferries and hotels etc. are busy. Firstly, great for the local economy. This crisis has been devastating, I'm sure. Secondly, a few more restaurants etc. may be open, so more choice for evening entertainment (BTW, I'm travelling with my GF, so no delusions of picking up chicks ????????????).

Can't wait to get there. Hope the weather is good ???? 

By the way, anywhere with a good choice of fresh seafood? I like the place next ti co-co-tams, but last time that was closed. Any alternatives i.e. the type of place with fish etc. on ice, to choose from? Chawaeng, FM Village, or whatever.

Thanks.

Any updates on this? There's been an outbreak BKK, so hoping there will be no last minute restrictions in Samui? Well, actually I am hoping there will be restrictions on water play, and an outright ban. But I hope bars and restaurants are open, as they were at Xmas.

Also, I'd like to do a bit of snorkeling. I dont want to spend 1.5hrs on a boat going to Ko Tao. Considering the general "recovery" of marine life, with less tourism, is there any snorkeling sites open and easily accessed from Samui, in less than 30mins boat trip?

40 minutes ago, corkman said:

But I hope bars and restaurants are open, as they were at Xmas.

This seems to latest so far, but with 12 extra daily flights announced in during Songkran, totaling 23 flights a day according to the Thai news, perhaps some more activity appears.

Some of 5-star resorts seems busy, lots of foreigners since April 1st, but they might stay inside the resorts and associated beach for a week.

I have no knowledge of fresh fish restaurants, the usual ones that I know are closed, and the number of guests might be to few to store fresh fish on ice.

Chaweng beach road is however more dead than during Xmas.

2 hours ago, corkman said:

Also, I'd like to do a bit of snorkeling. I dont want to spend 1.5hrs on a boat going to Ko Tao. Considering the general "recovery" of marine life, with less tourism, is there any snorkeling sites open and easily accessed from Samui, in less than 30mins boat trip?

On Samui - not much. Pretty overfished.

Try Crystal Bay in the SE. There used to be coral there but I have not been for a few years.

Just off Samui - Koh Matsum is popular. Now called Pig Island but they snorkel there as well.

Then there is always Angthon National Marine Park (45 minutes). Fishing is suspended but you should be able to snorkel.

A friend was snorkelling off the north  end of Chaweng Beach a while back and he saw sting ray for the first time.

Around the island and the Marine park there have been dolphins, pink dolphins and Bruda whales back in March.

Khun Per and Tropicalevo,

Thanks for your replies.

I think we'll give pig Island a try. Is is close enough to hire a private long-tail rather than cramming into a tour speed boat?

Guess I can ask the taxi drivers where to go for nice seafood. They'll surely have an idea. Chaweng beach road is even quieter! OMG, it must have tumble weed at this point! ????????????

Anyway, looking forward to getting there for some fresh sea air.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corkman said:

I think we'll give pig Island a try. Is is close enough to hire a private long-tail rather than cramming into a tour speed boat?

Very close by long tail.

Just head down to the coast and ask a fisherman.

My partner organises trips over there all of the time.

Can do snorkelling as well as some of the other islands. Depends if you want half day or full day.

My staff went there last month and said that it was great. That might have something to do with all of the food that we bought for them though! (The staff - not the pigs.)

• Haha 1

It's not confirmed if this includes Samui, but Surat Thani province is on the list...

Kan være et billede af en eller flere personer og tekst

From Richard Barrow in Thailand:

BREAKING: The official account of the CCSA has just tweeted to say that entertainment venues such as pubs and bars will be closed in 41 provinces for 14 days from Saturday 10th April onwards.

Pubs and bars closed in these provinces for 14 days from Saturday: Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Samut Prakan, Samut Songkhram, Samut Sakhon, Ayutthaya, Saraburi, Lopburi, Nakhon Nayok, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Prachinburi, Chachoengsao, Sa Kaeo, Suphanburi, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi, Ranong, Chumphon, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phuket, Surat Thani, Songkhla, Yala, Narathiwat, Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Udon Thani, Buriram, Loei, Chiang Mai, Lampang, Chiang Rai, Tak & Phetchabun.

Source-link HERE.

Thanks Khun Per. I'm going to go ahead and still travel down. The main purpose if the visit it resting and chilling out anyway ????

I have also heard there are COVID tests upon arrival for bkk visitors. Apparently, that it is not as bad as it sounds, and doesn't take long - anyone heard anything?

1 hour ago, corkman said:

Thanks Khun Per. I'm going to go ahead and still travel down. The main purpose if the visit it resting and chilling out anyway ????

I have also heard there are COVID tests upon arrival for bkk visitors. Apparently, that it is not as bad as it sounds, and doesn't take long - anyone heard anything?

Some guests arrived from Bangkok today and were taken to the local hospital. Given the test and in their villa by 18.30.

All good.

The tests are being carried out on Samui because Bangkok has run out.

2 hours ago, corkman said:

Yes, test upon arrival on Samui have been confirmed.

On 4/7/2021 at 8:34 PM, corkman said:

Khun Per and Tropicalevo,

Thanks for your replies.

Guess I can ask the taxi drivers where to go for nice seafood. They'll surely have an idea. Chaweng beach road is even quieter! OMG, it must have tumble weed at this point! ????????????

Anyway, looking forward to getting there for some fresh sea air.

Thanks guys.

You can hire a private long boat from Thong Krut to Mad Sum. My gf and friends hired a boat to go to Mad Sum last year, I think they paid for the whole boat around 1700 Baht, and that included snorkeling detour. Farangs usually get charged 1000+ baht per person, as most are taking organised trips and don't have the numbers for private long boat hire.

Mad Sum is pretty close to Samui, around 6km from Thong Krut. 3 weeks ago I kayaked from Thong Krut around Mad Sum, then around Taen Island, and then back to Thong Krut.  In my opinion Mad Sum is very very average compared to many other islands. You'll see cleaner nicer proper "tropical looking" beaches in Koh Phangan, not to mention the islands on the Andaman side. There is one overpriced restaurant with a few pigs roaming around. When I was there the restaurant was pretty full, so no feeling of a remote island. The water at the west side looks cleaner, but the sea is often rough (relatively), and there is sooo much rubbish on the beaches.

Surprisingly the best beach IMO from all the beaches on the 2 islands was in Taen on the north west side, but the water was pretty shallow, maybe on high tide it is easier for a long boat to land. Nice clean water and nobody there.

I would give Mad Sum a miss and head to KPH,  or go to Crystal bay in Samui, water quality is similar, and there were less people last time I went there.

• Like 1

There do not seem to be any 'official' Thai - English translations. Over the years I have seen many many different versions.

Thanks for that PoorSucker. I did not realise that is where the name came from. I learn something everyday.

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

It's not madsum, it's Koh Mott sum.

It's named after the orange ants.

Koh Thaen is bee island.

This is how they spell it on the island.

IMG-20210311-WA0002.thumb.jpg.3b873d20066ec83008cced0199d2c7f2.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/12/2021 at 10:05 AM, Birdman said:

Before pigs Koh Madsum was not an excursion place at all. 

Good place for kayaking.  Around 1-1.5 hours to get there with rec kayak from Samui. Probably faster with expedition kayak. The pic is slightly north of "The Treasure Mad Sum" resort, which starts looking like Angkor Wat now. The day trippers usually don't go to this area.

IMG_20210314_110836.jpg

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 2

Koh Mad Sum it is called. Or Koh Madsum. Som would be orange in Thai. And I have seen and experienced all the different ants and much more in over 30 years here living in nature. But never orange ones. 

Koh Madsum was known as the ´Palm tree less Island´ about 20-30 years ago. Because a violent storm cut all palm leaves of every single palm tree. You could see that from Samui`s Southern shores. A small island with a lot of palm tree trunks without the wide leaves on their tops. Nothing else was on it.  Like the trees have been on fire.

There is one luxury hotel now since a couple of years on the island the https://treasurekohmadsum.com/ 

Koh Tan or Koh Taen, is the bigger sister island. There are other islands, pearl farms ... more South rather unknown. Until a few years ago the very popular Samui Island roundtrips by a well know French guy stopped at both islands for a lunch, snorkel, swim, discover the island, whatever you wanna do ... midday break.

The many average Koh Tan Tours were, compared with the Koh Tao tours, second rated snorkelling excursion for tourists who wanted to save money and who did not want a full day tour.     

The name comes from Chinese immigrants. Tan is a popular name in China. Until a couple of decades ago about 500 people lived on Koh Tan. Sea and beach quality are way below Angthong, Tao, KPG, Samui and and and

But Koh Tan has other interesting highlights. A nice walk, an old hut of a lonely monk out in the sea, that special tranquillizing feeling to be away from it all, no dogs and thousands of greyhounds flying over to Samui in the evenings. It is said, that the greyhounds are the reason, that there is not a single dog on Koh Tan. They can not bear this high frequency sounds from the greyhounds humans cannot hear. Maybe that is the reason why there are more monitor lizards compared to Samui. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Birdman said:

Koh Mad Sum it is called.

First time I went there 20 years ago, the fisherman told me it was named after the orange ants.

Never heard a Thai say Mad instead of mot or mud (Thai for any) about the island.

0099X744A5158CB67AD96Apx.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/13/2021 at 9:30 PM, Birdman said:

Maybe that is the reason why there are more monitor lizards compared to Samui. 

Bloomin 'eck. That must be a lot of monitor lizards then. I clear one or two away from my place about every three months. (The neighbour's dogs attack them.)

Those are only the ones that I see.

Please do not ask me about the snakes!