Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Recommended Posts

I searched 'bread maker' but didn't come up with any results so starting a new topic.

 

I just bought a Homemate bread maker, cost around 4,500 baht and bakes loaves at 700 or 900 grams. I've used the recipes in the user instructions for basic bread, sandwich bread and wholemeal. The machine has 12 settings, that is 3 of them and probably all I will use.

 

However, the results are not great, edible but not what I expected.

 

So who out there has a proven recipe and quantities of ingredients they can pass on to me and any useful tips.

 

TIA.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.thespruceeats.com/bread-machine-recipes-a2-3051778

 

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/g32071475/bread-machine-recipes/

 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17215/best-bread-machine-bread/

 

Trial and error and tweaks required due to differences in machines but you'll get a decent loaf eventually (been a few years since my breadmaker blew a gasket and lost my recipes so can't be more specific).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No recipe is going to give you exactly what they got.  Bread is really sensitive to local conditions: temp., water, yeast, maybe the crowing of roosters while it proofs.  Start simple and keep trying that simple recipe until you find the formula that works for you and your machine.

 

I found I most preferred the "Italian" breads, using water & oil rather than milk & butter. 

Still and all, even after years of using my breadmaker, I was never 100% certain of the outcome.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the simplist bread recipe you'll find. You can adjust the quantities accordingly but it is far more accurate to weigh the ingrediants than to use 'cups'

 

 

Screenshot_2020-04-05-11-37-47-840.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

They all seem similar ingredients and quantities, so maybe my yeast is not a good brand or the bread maker itself isn't up to scratch.

 

Recipes I've used from the handbook:

 

Basic bread : 360 g bread flour, 30 g sugar, 270g water, 30g rice bran oil, 4g salt, 3g yeast

 

Sandwich Bread : 345 g bread flour, 12g sugar, 270g water, 7g salt, 7g yeast, 28g butter, 16g dry milk, 

 

I've used Pakmaya instant yeast, is this a poor choice?

And I used real milk not powdered and not sure what oil as the label has come off the bottle !

I am using bread flour, Kite brand.

 

The recipe states make a small hole in the flour and put in the yeast and cover it again and in the opposite corner do the same with the salt so they do not mix immediately.

 

The bread machine does have a setting for french bread and quick bread so I will have to try those.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

They all seem similar ingredients and quantities, so maybe my yeast is not a good brand or the bread maker itself isn't up to scratch.

 

Recipes I've used from the handbook:

 

Basic bread : 360 g bread flour, 30 g sugar, 270g water, 30g rice bran oil, 4g salt, 3g yeast

 

Sandwich Bread : 345 g bread flour, 12g sugar, 270g water, 7g salt, 7g yeast, 28g butter, 16g dry milk, 

 

I've used Pakmaya instant yeast, is this a poor choice?

And I used real milk not powdered and not sure what oil as the label has come off the bottle !

I am using bread flour, Kite brand.

 

The recipe states make a small hole in the flour and put in the yeast and cover it again and in the opposite corner do the same with the salt so they do not mix immediately.

 

The bread machine does have a setting for french bread and quick bread so I will have to try those.

Why not try making bread by hand, if it works that would illiminate your ingredients and maybe point the finger at the machine. It is not difficult I will include the video, use his recipe, it has never let me down yet. Don't worry about the sugar as flour has natural sugars in it anyway. I wouldn't have thought that the problem lies with the ingredients.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Recipes I've used from the handbook:

 

Basic bread : 360 g bread flour, 30 g sugar, 270g water, 30g rice bran oil, 4g salt, 3g yeast

 

Sandwich Bread : 345 g bread flour, 12g sugar, 270g water, 7g salt, 7g yeast, 28g butter, 16g dry milk,

Way too much water, water should be around half the flour.

170gm of water would probably work better.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

^^^^^ @Denim they look really nice, I might give that a go myself, thanks. 😎

 

What temperature, electric, do you bake at ?

 

Ours is an unsophisticated Singer oven so I just turn the oven on to full whack and let rip. There is a glass door so I keep an eye on them. Just removed when the crust looks brown.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why do you say too much water?

His recipe is almost identical to mine, and i use 250-260 grm of water, and the results are excellent.

 

With regards to how much water, I just mix my yeast with a beer mug of warm water then add  the water to the dry mix gradually until I work up the dough to the consistency I want. By just adding a little of the yeast water at a time I don't overdo it. 

 

By mixing the yeast with warm water you give the yeast a bit of a kick start before it gets to the dry mix

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Denim said:

 

 

. Sometimes bake one big loaf but slices wont go into toaster

 

 

 

Even with shop bought bread I find a bit of the slice sticks out the toaster and doesn't brown so I cut the slice in half and toast the two pieces seperately.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Denim said:

 

Ours is an unsophisticated Singer oven so I just turn the oven on to full whack and let rip. There is a glass door so I keep an eye on them. Just removed when the crust looks brown.

 

Thanks for that, we just have a Tefal tabletop oven, works well enough, it has a glass door as well so I'll try the same as you 👍🏻👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2021 at 9:05 AM, YorkshireTyke said:

So who out there has a proven recipe and quantities of ingredients they can pass on to me and any useful tips.

IME Poor yeast is the usual culprit in failed bread.

Have you tested your yeast to see if it is still active?

Just make some warm water with sugar in a bowl or cup and add a teaspoon of yeast. Cover it and give it 5 minutes. If it isn't frothy, chuck it and buy a fresh pack.

 

Edit: to add my plain white loaf recipe.

500g flour

300g warm water/milk (about 80/20 mix)

60g softened butter

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon instant yeast

1 tablespoon salt

Mix the liquid, sugar and yeast together and leave for 5 mins, then add to the flour and butter.

Add the salt last, then knead.

1st rise about 1 hour

2nd rise about 30 mins

Baked at 190C for 35 mins

 

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

IME Poor yeast is the usual culprit in failed bread.

Have you tested your yeast to see if it is still active?

Just make some warm water with sugar in a bowl or cup and add a teaspoon of yeast. Cover it and give it 5 minutes. If it isn't frothy, chuck it and buy a fresh pack.

Ok, I can try that but I only bought the packet on Thursday, the same day I bought the machine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Why do you say too much water?

His recipe is almost identical to mine, and i use 250-260 grm of water, and the results are excellent.

I use sparkling water. Goes down a treat.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

With respect to those of you that use a bread maker, I had one back in the UK, I wasn't to keen on the big hole in the base of the bread from the paddle, prefer to do it by hand these days 😁

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Denim said:

 

With regards to how much water, I just mix my yeast with a beer mug of warm water then add  the water to the dry mix gradually until I work up the dough to the consistency I want. By just adding a little of the yeast water at a time I don't overdo it. 

 

By mixing the yeast with warm water you give the yeast a bit of a kick start before it gets to the dry mix

That's what I will try this evening too.

Maybe it gives me a kick start too. 
Never thought about yeast.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found that ther secret was watching the dough spin....if it clumps up too much it is too dry so add more water.  It should spin freely. This depends most on the type of flour used.

Use either red rose flour from Tops for a faily substantial loaf or green bag thai flour for lighter bread.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth here is my pathetic attempt at Denim's bread recipe, it does taste nice, a bit heavy, but I did some reading (wrong thing to do) 😀 and tried the autolyse method  before adding the yeast etc, next time I will add more yeast and mix everything at the same time, I also forgot the salt, not a bad thing but the Mrs noticed. 😁 

A work in progress for next time 

20210324_172528.jpg

20210324_181950.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Aforek said:

OP wrote " So who out there has a proven recipe and quantities of ingredients they can pass on to me and any useful tips."

 

you have different recipes here from Panasonic   breadmaker copy- (panasonic.com)

First one sounds good, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, but I need to master the basic loaf first and there isn't a basic recipe in that Panasonic book.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For a 750 gram white loaf I use 250 grams bread flour, 110ml non-fat milk, or 110ml whey left over from making Greek yoghurt (it gives a sourdough flavour), 1 beaten egg, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon demerara sugar, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon Bruggeman Blue instant yeast. This consistently gives me good results.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2021 at 4:36 AM, Golden Triangle said:

a bit heavy,

 

Yes , it is heavy. I am still tinkering with the ingredients.  Last batch I overdid the oil and it was even heavier and the taste was not as good. 

 

The addition of cooking oil was mentioned on a couple of youtube recipes I watched in order to help the bread rise. I think this week I will omit the oil altogether and see if there is any improvement.

 

It's trial and error. In the end I hope to get it down pat.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Denim said:

 

Yes , it is heavy. I am still tinkering with the ingredients.  Last batch I overdid the oil and it was even heavier and the taste was not as good. 

 

The addition of cooking oil was mentioned on a couple of youtube recipes I watched in order to help the bread rise. I think this week I will omit the oil altogether and see if there is any improvement.

 

It's trial and error. In the end I hope to get it down pat.

Can you let us know how you get on with no oil ? Thanks Denim 👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't bought any bread since the first lockdown so thats over a year now, I asked the midget which brand of yeast she uses, "SAF INSTANT" Gold packet she buys from makro,

She's got it off to a fine art and likes making Italian breads  especially focaccia 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...