Cheers go up in Koh Samui as Covid authority gives green light to foreign tourism initiative

webfact

58 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

They still don't understand. No tourists will come and waste precious days of their holiday in quarantine..........especially having to pay the rip-off prices for said quarantine.

You should have written "no [western] tourist will come". Chinese or even Indians won't be put off by such restrictions. I think people in the ministry are aware of the situation and might even be happy with the ethnic cleansing potential of the Covid control measures.

• Confused 2

In my view a few long-time-stayers or snow birds from south might come, but it will not save the tourism industri on the islands before quarantine is lifted, which could be with a kind of vaccination passport for a start.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

You should have written "no [western] tourist will come". Chinese or even Indians won't be put off by such restrictions. I think people in the ministry are aware of the situation and might even be happy with the ethnic cleansing potential of the Covid control measures.

I think you are wrong, but if you're right, Koh Samui is welcome to them.

4 hours ago, pkrv said:

Day 0: Foreign tourists - who are even capable of travelling despite financial difficulties and potential quanrantine initiatives in their home countries - will look for easier places to visit.

Are there any easier places to visit? Most other countries also have quarantines in place or don’t even allow tourists in the first place. Correct me if I’m wrong.

4 minutes ago, charmonman said:

Are there any easier places to visit? Most other countries also have quarantines in place or don’t even allow tourists in the first place. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Like I said: "...look for easier places...". Didn't say they would find them. The point being the quanrantine super-hurdles and super-costs will deter almost all "normal tourists". Correct me if I'm wrong.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

However, it bore a remarkable resemblance to "Area Hotel Quarantine" and would only benefit selected hotels.

Yeah... cheers-to-tears for the masses..

Select hotels I can well believe that.

Perfect plan for very rich people who never leave the hotel anyway !

4 seasons, Napasai - all big hotels who cater only for rich people.... it's for the rich !!! 

They come, stay 1 week and leave ! Never leave the hotel apart from maybe on a private yacht.

Forget about tests and all this nonsense .... that's not being done - but you are supposed to believe it's done ????

That's what the future will be. .... and that's what stupid people cheer for  ????

9 hours ago, khunPer said:

In my view a few long-time-stayers or snow birds from south might come, but it will not save the tourism industri on the islands before quarantine is lifted, which could be with a kind of vaccination passport for a start.

Why should any person who cannot have the vaccination due to dangerous medical reasons, but who has been tested and certified Covid free, not be allowed entry. This would be discrimination.

2 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Why should any person who cannot have the vaccination due to dangerous medical reasons, but who has been tested and certified Covid free, not be allowed entry. This would be discrimination.

Sorry, but it's not my decision, it what various governments talks about.

You are let in today without vaccination, you just need the negative tests and quarantine. The vaccination certificate is to avoid quarantine.

We are not all equal, some are vaccinated, and others are not.

Vaccination passport have been used before, like the yellow certificate from WHO, and if you didn't had the required vaccination(s), you would not be let in.

10 hours ago, charmonman said:

Are there any easier places to visit? Most other countries also have quarantines in place or don’t even allow tourists in the first place. Correct me if I’m wrong.

For Europeans for example Mallorca and Greece.

And here by coincidence is why it wont work????

Day 1: They are whisked from the airport to selected, approved hotels.

Days 2-3: They get mouth and nose swabs and must stay in their rooms even after getting test results back in 3 hours.

Days 4-7: They can leave their rooms but only to designated places (this appears to be in the hotel grounds).

Day 7:More swabs, then the tourists can leave the hotel and even go and stay elsewhere in Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. 

Day 14: They are free to go elsewhere in Thailand.