Cheers go up in Koh Samui as Covid authority gives green light to foreign tourism initiative

webfact

8 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Why should any person who cannot have the vaccination due to dangerous medical reasons, but who has been tested and certified Covid free, not be allowed entry. This would be discrimination.

I don't know if you've been following all recent the announcements from the Thai government regarding the various proposals for getting the tourist industry going again but they have been considering the position of those who haven't been vaccinated.

Without looking back, I believe they were considering reduced quarantine, tests and some form of Covid free certificate.

The whole situation regarding vaccinated/un-vaccinated is in flux at the moment and its going to take a while until countries and indeed, airlines work out how they are going to handle matters. Of course those who cannot be vaccinated on medical grounds should be treated fairly but those who simply refuse to be vaccinated may find their options increasingly limited.

Some airlines have already mentioned that they wish protect their cabin crew and that they are concerned about potential litigation so may require passengers to be vaccinated. You can see the situation if they let un-vaccinated travellers fly - if someone picks up the virus they might claim it was as a result of being on a flight carrying un-vaccinated passengers.

I must admit, even though I've had my first shot and will be having my second soon, I'm not sure I'd be too happy to travel with people who have not been vaccinated. The vaccine may prevent serious illness but picking up the virus could potentially ruin people's holidays so I can see the airline's concerns. I had Covid a year ago and I'm 99.99% sure I picked it up whilst travelling.

In general, the OP is just another Pipe Dream - a few will travel but it just isn't going to work for mass tourism.  The few tourists that do accept these proposals could find facilities pretty limited - restaurants, tours and other facilities will either not open or open and close again pretty rapidly, it just isn't going to work.  Other popular tourist destinations are already saying there will be no restrictions for vaccinated tourists.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, charmonman said:

Are there any easier places to visit? Most other countries also have quarantines in place or don’t even allow tourists in the first place. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I can go anywhere I want as long as I don't cross an international border.  In the USA, that leaves about 3.8 million square miles to choose from.  From tropical to Arctic, and from sea level to mountaintop.

They should add a free covid vaccine shot during the quarantaine period.

That would maybe attract some more people especially the younger ones that have to wait long long time for their vaccine shot in their home countries.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions for boots on the ground. I am in Pattaya now and getting bored. Thinking of flying to Samui for a few weeks. Are good hotels open and running on Chaweng and Lamai? Are those beaches being kept free of garbage?

On 4/2/2021 at 8:08 PM, JackGats said:

Questions for boots on the ground. I am in Pattaya now and getting bored. Thinking of flying to Samui for a few weeks. Are good hotels open and running on Chaweng and Lamai? Are those beaches being kept free of garbage?

Lot of the hotels are open. Both Lamai and Chaweng are very dead when it comes to going out. I would recommend that you stay in Bangrak/Bophut instead where there is some life.  

Also note that Songkran holiday many hotels are almost fully booked. They still deal with rockbottom prices but got good bookings from domestic tourists for that week. Flights and ferries will be a challenge as well for that period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, huberthammer said:

Flights and ferries will be a challenge as well for that period.

Not just flights and ferries - also rental cars. I am told that they are already as rare as rocking horse schitt.

Not Just Songkran week - most of April from the 9th. I am told that The W is fully booked for the rest of the month.

Forieign Prisoners Day ! 

The unbeknowing International  traveler checks off a box to arrive to koh Samui and adjacent islands.

The traveller's are then "labeled" immediately as Foriegn Invaders and Processed.....

Will have there DNA placed on file which will undoubtedly go onto a database, while we're checking for Covid, ( the now estimated 15 strains) lets check for other virus and bacteria that may be spread...and put an ankle bracelet on them and brand them with a bar code as well.

Brilliant!

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Bradmeister said:

Forieign Prisoners Day ! 

The unbeknowing International  traveler checks off a box to arrive to koh Samui and adjacent islands.

The traveller's are then "labeled" immediately as Foriegn Invaders and Processed.....

Will have there DNA placed on file which will undoubtedly go onto a database, while we're checking for Covid, ( the now estimated 15 strains) lets check for other virus and bacteria that may be spread...and put an ankle bracelet on them and brand them with a bar code as well.

Brilliant!

Can only hope that your babbling is not the result of a reaction to a covid vaccine.... It is neither funny nor appropriate