Cassava plant why so many everywhere, and what do they do with it ?

adexbu

13 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

As far as I know its used in food production as starch. Tapioca too. It is a very low price crop but will grow almost anywhere in poor soil. Once they pull it out of the ground (like a potato) they chop up the stem of the tree and simply stick it back in the ground and it grows again. I knew a girl had some Casava growing on her land and lived in a Casava area all her life. I asked her what it was used for, she pondered a few moments (didnt have a clue) and said "up to company" lol. I was told u cant cook it and eat it like a sweet potato. May even be mildly poisonous untreated

Yes, that is quite amazing (well, to me anyway), as I type I can see a few that Mrs BM planted a month or so back but I have no idea what she'll do with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

It is used as a filler in cosmeticyou know, the plaster ladies put on to hide the pimples and  the wrinkles.

If you did some research,  you would  probably fill about 2 pages on this thread for the uses of cassava.

The waste/bi-product is brought by back by dairy farmers and feed to cattle ,cost of about 60-80-stang /kg .

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

As far as I know its used in food production as starch. Tapioca too. It is a very low price crop but will grow almost anywhere in poor soil. Once they pull it out of the ground (like a potato) they chop up the stem of the tree and simply stick it back in the ground and it grows again. I knew a girl had some Casava growing on her land and lived in a Casava area all her life. I asked her what it was used for, she pondered a few moments (didnt have a clue) and said "up to company" lol. I was told u cant cook it and eat it like a sweet potato. May even be mildly poisonous untreated

Better than saying:

UP TO YOU????

• Like 1

Like taro root, you can cook and eat cassava root like potatoes. Domesticated varieties have less poison than the wild ones, but make sure it's fully cooked.

I haven't seen a lot of whole cassava for sale in Thailand. I think here it's mostly used for processed foods.

Nutrition compared to other starches: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staple_food#Comparison_of_10_staple_foods

• Like 1

Mainly manufacture alcohol for motor fuel, i.e. E20 and E80, and the 5 to 10 percent added in normal gasoline.

I read some year ago that Thailand is the second largest ethanol manufacturer, after Brazil.

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 2

I actually have a small 50g carton of Arrowroot, aka Cassava, which I bought at Tesco in London but according to the label was imported from Thailand. It is a very useful thickening agent when making stews etc and can be used to create a nice glaze on cakes and other things. 

On 3/23/2021 at 9:15 AM, The Fugitive said:

In Paraguay it's called mandioca. Everybody seems to grow it. Served with every meal. Help yourself for free in the restaurants.

From the UK originally I lived and farmed there, Paraguay, back in the 70's, ( started with cattle and horses then my own farm ), used to inter-crop with red bean so that if one crop failed then the other may survive.     The spacing would seem extreme in today's mono-culture world but was easy to cultivate and harvest.

Chipa, empanada dulce and mbeju delicious at breakfast with maté or as a snack when out on the horses if working with cattle.