Lice/mites on dog

We have a smallish shoodle who regularly has black insects on it's skin, about 3mm long, sometimes embedded in reddened skin. We pick them off but can see black dots (eggs). He is regularly washed and sprayed, never goes out 'alone' and recently had a short haircut, but still thses animals return. Where do they come from? What are they? And how could I get rid permanently please?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sound like ticks.

They live in long grass in your yard, keep your grass short, don't let the dog out in any long vegetation.

Thanks. I don't have long grass, the dog is never allowed out in any vegetation without being on a lead with me.....the dog on the lead, not me ! 

We get a small bottle of stuff and put it around his neck parts, but that doesn't seem to work either. Anti tick shampoo and spray either. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Picture would help. Once identified you can seek proper agent to control/kill them. Any conpetent vet would also likely know what they are.

Freshly picked. The large object looks like a shell containing several of the things.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

More then likely they are Ticks  i have 3 Westhighland Terriers  all suffering from Ticks, the oldest dog  became very sick a few years ago due to Ticks laying eggs in his bloodstream, we have tried " Frontline", a liquid you  lay onto their skin on the neck, it didnt work,  we tried  the Tick collars made by Frontline, they didnt work,  we tried the injection, one of the dogs had a fit, he's allergic to the  injection,   i complained to the vet  why are we spending the money but it doesnt deter the ticks,  her r eply was it will deter some ticks, but not all..we  have been advised by a  Bangkok vet  to buy NEXTGUARD  its a  pill they have to chew  1500b, per month, expensive x 3 dogs if it doesnt work....

Thailand  a haven for ticks 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, actonion said:

More then likely they are Ticks  i have 3 Westhighland Terriers  all suffering from Ticks, the oldest dog  became very sick a few years ago due to Ticks laying eggs in his bloodstream, we have tried " Frontline", a liquid you  lay onto their skin on the neck, it didnt work,  we tried  the Tick collars made by Frontline, they didnt work,  we tried the injection, one of the dogs had a fit, he's allergic to the  injection,   i complained to the vet  why are we spending the money but it doesnt deter the ticks,  her r eply was it will deter some ticks, but not all..we  have been advised by a  Bangkok vet  to buy NEXTGUARD  its a  pill they have to chew  1500b, per month, expensive x 3 dogs if it doesnt work....

Thailand  a haven for ticks 

Seen Bravecto tablets on Lazada, about Bht 600 a throw for 3 months protection. 

• Like 2

check your house ! Mother ticks hide in furniture, carpets, curtains.....almost in everything.

very easy to get your house infested by hundreds of ticks. They survive very long and come out of hiding once a host (dog) is nearby.

Very hard to get rid of them. Termite, Insect Spray does not help. At the Vet you can buy special liquid (poison) mix with your washwater and clean the house.

I had 5 dogs in my house - from small to german sheppard and know what I am talking about. Good Luck !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

They are like little leeches that feed off the blood of the dog. If you pick one off and step on it it will look like a mosquitoe, just blood !

Go to the vet and get them a shot, its about 200 baht and they wont have them anymore, Worked great on our 4 dogs.

You can also get other stuff to put a few drops behind the neck if you prefer, it works but not as fast and not for as long.

Yes, 'Front Point Combo' , it is what we use for these things.  It works, but you need to keep at it (one sachet per month, and it can sometimes cause a slight upset tummy for a day. It is also expensive in comparison to other treatments, but we find it very effective.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

I don't know the name of it but my wife buys these tablets from our vet  for our three dogs , 350 baht a tablet , total 1050 baht. Once taken they remain clear of all skin parasites for three months, give or take a week or two. We live in a rural area and our dogs roam the nearby fields and vegetation but never pick up any parasites. Completely free of them.

If after about 3 months she starts to notice one or two again she gets 3 more tablets and they quickly disappear. Well worth the cost.

Do you have the name of the tabs? 

• Haha 2

Neem plant extract wash/soap will remove and help prevent reinfestation. It's easy, safe, non-toxic (completely), cheap as hell and you can wash the dog in it every week if you liked. Oh it's good for all sorts of human skin ailments as well ????????

If you're horticulturally minded and curious you can grow the plant easily in Thailand and make your own washes soaps, insect repellants, and pesticides. Indians have been using it for thousands of years.

• Like 1

You're going to have a hard time getting rid of all those ticks for awhile.

The cheapest solution is to get ivermectin shots from the vet once a month.

Nexgard spectra works very good too.  It's a chewable once a month treatment but more expensive.

In the meantime you are going to have to keep checking your dogs regularly and remove the ticks when found.

These treatments will kill the ticks that attach but you must have eggs all around your house and yard that are going to keep hatching for awhile.

You might want to get some Bayticol and spray around the area.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, actonion said:

we  have been advised by a  Bangkok vet  to buy NEXTGUARD  its a  pill they have to chew  1500b, per month, expensive x 3 dogs if it doesnt work....

It's Nexgard without a 't'' or a 'u'.

I have four dogs each around 10-15kg so I buy a single Nexgard chewable tablet for dogs up to 50kg (450 baht).

I cut it into four pieces then they each take a quarter.

This is cheaper than buying four individual tablets for dogs up to 25kg at 320 baht each.

• Like 1

The pics definitely show ticks.  As a dog owner for decades, I know what they look like.

In Thailand, get the vet pills, or OTC version as they do work for 3-4 months per dose.

Other treatment are the once-a-month drops on the back.  These work very well, but I don't know it available in Thailand.  Look for ingredient: permethrin, which kills fleas & ticks on first bite. 

Permethrin is safe for dogs & humans.  It is even used to treat head lice in children.

• Haha 1

I have found that the only effective treatment for the little bloodsuckers is a monthly injection, cost 70 baht where I am in Isaan.

All other treatments failed but the injection is 100% effective.

This is over 10 years of experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ticks.  Had one behind my knee last year (I'm in Virginia, USA).  Picked it off, skin was red and itchy for weeks and weeks.  Years back in some tall grass, I brushed against it and maybe 100 baby "seed " ticks on my leg.  My Dad got Lyme disease two or 3 times from deer ticks.  Nasty little buggers.  Chiggers are even more annoying as they burrow under the skin.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Ticks.  Had one behind my knee last year (I'm in Virginia, USA).  Picked it off, skin was red and itchy for weeks and weeks.  Years back in some tall grass, I brushed against it and maybe 100 baby "seed " ticks on my leg.  My Dad got Lyme disease two or 3 times from deer ticks.  Nasty little buggers.  Chiggers are even more annoying as they burrow under the skin.

I contracted Lyme Disease a few years back in Italy. Very sick for a month. No cases in Thailand reported !

• Haha 1