Pattaya sandbox: Proposal to allow foreign tourists to stay in resort without quarantine

webfact

Time to leave Pattaya. I don't want to be in a risky sandbox just that some people can make their money. Crazy idea... 

Many here - especially the entertainment venues - don't care about any regulations. How can such a place be a sandbox for people without quarantine?

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, bobbin said:

It's a computer term that means containing and operating an executable program in "quarantine" so that if it does contain a "virus" it is unable to infect the entire computer and is easily deleted.  Just saying.

Yeah I wondered why my laptop sometimes refuses to show me something I looked for .. like a photo or video ... because of ... something to do with a sandbox ... must confess .. I just say <deleted> it , because it’s usually a naughty item .... lol ....

Just shows the desperation the Thai Tourist people have reached

To come out with ideas like this and especially Pattaya of all places

If he had suggested Phuket which could probably control the movement of tourists 

I would have said a step in the right direction 

Then saw the guy is a Billionaire who is only worried about ????

• Like 1

I think Phuket or Samui would be more appropriate. They have far nicer scenery, and are actually isolated from mainland. Worst case you can always cancel flights and blow up the bridge and sink the ferry...

But hasn't this been tried before? When entry with no quarantine for foreigners to Phuket was announced, domestic tourism dipped with near all the local flight and hotel bookings cancelled. Why would it be any different this time?

For now and likely another year or so, you can have either domestic tourism, or international tourism, but not both of them in the same place.

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Like 1

Not Foreigners! International guests, travellers, sand box players! Anything but "Them"!!!!  

The sad oart here is Berlin and Paris just renewed Lock Down for 3rd wave. 

North America and South America are seeing new strains.....

No one is coming, khun Pipat,  Especially if you keep calling the rest of the Planet " Foreigners" 

Time to channge the Paradigm, before its too late.

There is a revolution brewing just across the Burmese boarder....... time to rethink policy. 

• Sad 1

When will this stream of half-baked ideas, proposals, and schemes from TAT and the minister et al ever end?

Get it into your heads: real normal tourists - like you think you want, or had in the good old days - are not coming back anytime soon or or in anywhere near the number you are hoping...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

I think Phuket or Samui would be more appropriate. They have far nicer scenery, and are actually isolated from mainland. Worst case you can always cancel flights and blow up the bridge and sink the ferry...

But hasn't this been tried before? When entry with no quarantine for foreigners to Phuket was announced, domestic tourism dipped with near all the local flight and hotel bookings cancelled. Why would it be any different this time?

For now and likely another year or so, you can have either domestic tourism, or international tourism, but not both of them in the same place.

Todays BP Business section has a front page story about a sandbox approach in Phuket from July, apparently as a trial run for other tourist resorts.

Koh Samui have a scheme called swings and Krabi has roundabout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, najomtiensun said:

Er they mix with locals and the locals can travel Doh !

I don't know about Pattaya, but ask 100 locals in Phuket (which apparently gets over 80% of its GDP from tourism) and I suspect around 80% would be happy to be the guinea pigs, just to get their livelihoods back.  Besides which, it would be easier to keep tourists on an island, as opposed to Pattaya.  

They'd probably even be willing to partake in Covid tests as a condition for hopping on a boat or a plane to travel off the island.  Anyone not willing to volunteer to stay to cater to tourists could be provided a safe refuge somewhere else in LOS at gub'ment expense, and they'd still come out ahead financially if tourists come back.

The sandbox sounds like a good idea.  But not in Patts.  Too tempting (and easy) to sneak off to BKK.  Needs to be on an island.  Phuket, Samui, Koh Chang, Koh Samet...

Edited by impulse

It is just too complicated to fly to Thailand or anywhere.   I will just stay in my own sandbox at home 

with my bucket and shovel.  Maybe next Winter when everyone has had their vaccine, is when I and many others

will travel and enjoy the tropics again.  Meanwhile, TAT and billionaires, keep dreaming.

Geezer

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I can see that lasting, maybe, one whole day before they discover "foreigners" who've snuck off to Bangkok.
Or Chiang Mai. Or Korat.
Or wherever they really wanted to go in the first place but went to Pattaya instead so they could avoid quarantine.

Not to mention that within a week they would probably discover that a lot of those tourists weren't really "vaccinated" at all. And then they'll discover outbreaks of the virus in Pattaya and the surrounding provinces, resulting in another lockdown.

Unless they have tracking bracelets that can't be removed - at all - and security monitoring (and rapid response teams on standby) - they won't be able to keep people from "sneaking out".
What do they think ? That they'll put a locking steel collar around their necks connected to a hardened steel chain that prevents them from going outside of their hotel rooms ? 
(Yes, I have no doubt that some of you will think that is what they will try to do.)

It's basically a plan that is designed to fail before it even begins.

Im vaccinated (2 jabs) and live in pattaya.  Have the paper work to prove it.      Maybe you should concern yourself with longstay expats with dodgy “student” visas and paperwork.  I did 16 days quarantine in January...be happy to do 7 and have freedom around Thailand or just even pattaya.  Plans dont work because of  maskless lazy farangs  on soi baukhao.  ????   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1