Pattaya sandbox: Proposal to allow foreign tourists to stay in resort without quarantine

webfact

5 hours ago, Oldie said:

Time to leave Pattaya. I don't want to be in a risky sandbox just that some people can make their money. Crazy idea... 

Many here - especially the entertainment venues - don't care about any regulations. How can such a place be a sandbox for people without quarantine?

I arrived pattaya after 3 covid tests and 16 day quarantine.   I had more fear of getting covid from local pattaya expats walking around without masks.  Many expats and bkk weejend tourists already  frequent the entertainment venues or coffee shops on soi baukhao that don’t follow rules.  Those that got tested and vaccinated are more inclined to follow rules

how many covid tests did you take??  I didnt think so 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Africans - 14 days. 

Wowww.

What next? 

Brits 12 days

Germans 2 months

Australians 10 days

Chinese 2 hours

If you read ...africa has the concerning mutant stain.  Yea. Wow at ignorance 

6 hours ago, Nielsk said:

As almost always, I see posts from negative grumpy characters. I always wonder what their personal problems are.   Why not show a little optimism provided You at all like Thailand. Must admit I have my doubts occasionally !!!

Thank you.   These same grumpy characters will be the first to blame tourists but not think that they themselves can be infected and spread covid.  Thais wore masks and qr tracted everywhere unlike many local farangs that didnt bother.  I avoided farangs as much as possible.....especially grumpy ones on thaivisa 

You cannot lockdown countries indefinitely and we need a plan sooner rather than later to start the world travel and economies. Personally I think open to all vaccinated people now and take the chance on it. 

End of this year if we are not open then we will have been shut worldwide for like half of the first world war !!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Personally I think open to all vaccinated people now and take the chance on it. 

"Gentlemen start your mobility scooters... The the Zimmer frame games are about to begin..  "

Australia which has one of the strictest quarantine regimes has found how difficult it is to contain outbreaks via hotel workers. For months now there have been no locally acquired cases. The only positive cases have been with people in quarantine or a small number of hotel workers that caught the virus despite incredibly strict non contact rules. 

I cannot see how a "sandbox" would be able to contain the virus with the constant movement in and out of workers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

I arrived pattaya after 3 covid tests and 16 day quarantine.   I had more fear of getting covid from local pattaya expats walking around without masks.  Many expats and bkk weejend tourists already  frequent the entertainment venues or coffee shops on soi baukhao that don’t follow rules.  Those that got tested and vaccinated are more inclined to follow rules

how many covid tests did you take??  I didnt think so 

I had no test and I see that especially at entertainment venues nobody cares about regulations. I never go to places where people sit together without masks. I also avoid contact to people that go to such places. I am old and I belong for sure to the risk group. I really don't want to get it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm, people presenting fake documents when arriving at an airport.

Of course, some want people to believe that would never happen ! Why on earth would anyone try something like that, right ?

Meanwhile, it is already happening in other countries. Right now it's fake "negative Covid-19 test results" that some countries require before being allowed to enter. 
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/traveller-charged-after-allegedly-presenting-fake-negative-covid-19-test-at-pearson-airport/ar-BB1eTlM2?li=AAggNb9

Makes me wonder how many have slipped through without being detected.

But of course no one would ever fake a vaccination certificate so they could travel somewhere, would they ? Just like no one would ever falsely claim to have "sufficient funds" (or monthly income) to stay in the country. Never happens !

Yet there are still people out there who refuse to look at the proof and instead pretend that almost everyone in the country is already infected and just waiting to infect everyone else. 
You know, despite the lack of news (supposedly all covered up by the gov't of course). Despite the hospitals not overflowing with infected patients. Despite the morgues not overflowing with bodies. Despite the temples not running cremation ceremonies 24/7. All of which would be happening if there was an "unreported" mass infection in the country.

And I see far more locals (Thais) running around without masks than I do foreigners. And the most recent outbreaks here have been from migrant workers (from Myanmar and Cambodia) or Thais (sneaking back into the country from Myanmar).

Not from "white foreigners not wearing masks".

And yes, I wear a mask when I'm in a public place. I keep spares on my motorcycles as well in case I forget (or lose) one. I'd be far more worried about catching the virus from locals at various markets/bars/restaurants than I would be about the occasional foreigner I see not wearing a mask.

• Sad 1

sounds like they are planning to lockdown pattaya agian but allow "tourists" in and out????

thats the only way they could do this really.

if they want tourism back in any shape or form
they need to just open the country back up.

Edited by patman30
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 11:44 AM, Kerryd said:

I can see that lasting, maybe, one whole day before they discover "foreigners" who've snuck off to Bangkok.
Or Chiang Mai. Or Korat.
Or wherever they really wanted to go in the first place but went to Pattaya instead so they could avoid quarantine.

Not to mention that within a week they would probably discover that a lot of those tourists weren't really "vaccinated" at all. And then they'll discover outbreaks of the virus in Pattaya and the surrounding provinces, resulting in another lockdown.

Unless they have tracking bracelets that can't be removed - at all - and security monitoring (and rapid response teams on standby) - they won't be able to keep people from "sneaking out".
What do they think ? That they'll put a locking steel collar around their necks connected to a hardened steel chain that prevents them from going outside of their hotel rooms ? 
(Yes, I have no doubt that some of you will think that is what they will try to do.)

It's basically a plan that is designed to fail before it even begins.

Are you kidding me? The vast majority of people who want it, will be getting vaccinated to travel, so I don't think fake documents is going to be much of an issue. Long before that even became an issue (because in all likelihood, you'll also be given another choice, such as a Covid-19 negative certificate and/or medical exemption) which would probably negate the need to even forge a certificate in the first place, there will still be tons of restrictions in place like there are now, so we're a long way from where being vaccinated gets you any advantages over remaining unvaccinated. 

I don't feel comfortable with the idea of domestic travel if they consider setting up screening checkpoints again to keep these tourists "in". I agree with the basic premise of your post that this plan is likely to fail in general - presumably the tracking bracelet could keep tourists in place without needing checkpoints that inconvenience locals and expats. However, tourists would feel like they're on parole. 

Edited by TheFreqFlyer

19 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Thank you.   These same grumpy characters will be the first to blame tourists but not think that they themselves can be infected and spread covid.  Thais wore masks and qr tracted everywhere unlike many local farangs that didnt bother.  I avoided farangs as much as possible.....especially grumpy ones on thaivisa 

After almost thirteen months of happily dodging the Covid in Thailand that includes a few Covid tests, I'd be more wary of the opinionated, recently imported foreigners than I would of the happy ones swigging Archa on the 7-eleven steps. That's regardless of the "imports" claiming to have a paper that shows they had both shots in December before doing their ASQ in January.

5 hours ago, patman30 said:

sounds like they are planning to lockdown pattaya agian but allow "tourists" in and out????

thats the only way they could do this really.

if they want tourism back in any shape or form
they need to just open the country back up.

So Pattaya will become the mecca for the "in and out" sexpats again?

They won't like it when they discover all the massage shops have relocated "over the border" to the Darkside where all the long time lurkers can STILL fill their boots... or whatever.

On 3/24/2021 at 8:37 AM, rioD said:

14 day quarantine for Africans regardless, despite the fact COVID has impacted African far less than Europe or the U.S.  Pretty clear racism there !!

I expect white Africans will be subjected to the same rules. 

On 3/23/2021 at 4:33 PM, from the home of CC said:

I believe that foreigners have already demonstrated time after time that they just can't be trusted, especially if there is alcohol involved. Folks who arrive here mostly don't give a **** about anyone else's welfare, their self gratification being their only goal and motivation. A nightmare scenario as far as disease control is concerned imo..

thanks for the sermon Father Ted ????

you do realise the whole point of spending $1000's on a holiday is for self-gratification?

if they wanted to help others they'd do some volunteering instead lol

On 3/23/2021 at 9:33 AM, from the home of CC said:

I believe that foreigners have already demonstrated time after time that they just can't be trusted, especially if there is alcohol involved. Folks who arrive here mostly don't give a **** about anyone else's welfare, their self gratification being their only goal and motivation. A nightmare scenario as far as disease control is concerned imo..

Absolutely....with some exceptions (me being one)........many tourists tend to behave in an abdominal manner, especially late teens, early twenties, though certainly not restricted to these age groups.

I am embarrassed at the way some of them behave, particular Brits.... as I tend to identify as being 'one of them'.

On 3/23/2021 at 11:54 PM, Bkktodd said:

Im vaccinated (2 jabs) and live in pattaya.  Have the paper work to prove it.      Maybe you should concern yourself with longstay expats with dodgy “student” visas and paperwork.  I did 16 days quarantine in January...be happy to do 7 and have freedom around Thailand or just even pattaya.  Plans dont work because of  maskless lazy farangs  on soi baukhao.  ????   

You could have 10 jabs, and even more paperwork to prove it.  That doesn't stop you from getting covid and passing covid onto a Thai who has had zero jabs.  It just stops you dying from covid, and it's bad luck for the Thai, and possibly fatal to the Thai's elderly family. 

If they vaccinate all Thai staff, and they remain working in the resort, it would be safer, but given you can catch covid more than once, there's still a risk.  

The Thai's can't "spin" this one, nor cover it up.  They will have to open up the cheque book and deal with it the same way as every other country, and they better hurry up before it mutates into something the current vaccination becomes ineffective against.  

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 9:37 AM, rioD said:

14 day quarantine for Africans regardless, despite the fact COVID has impacted African far less than Europe or the U.S.  Pretty clear racism there !!

Racism? Nah, those nasty continentalists are at it again....

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

You could have 10 jabs, and even more paperwork to prove it.  That doesn't stop you from getting covid and passing covid onto a Thai who has had zero jabs.  It just stops you dying from covid, and it's bad luck for the Thai, and possibly fatal to the Thai's elderly family. 

What you are saying seems to be at odds with the opinions and Stats coming in from countries with advanced vaccination programs. The whole point of the jab is to prevent you getting Covid and the numbers suggest that is successful to a high percentage (95%). 

Only 2 jabs is currently required (in most cases) but long term resistance has to be evaluated with long terms required. There is a period (2 weeks) between inoculation and becoming immune.

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

What you are saying seems to be at odds with the opinions and Stats coming in from countries with advanced vaccination programs.

A couple of many articles on the first page of a Google search.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210203-why-vaccinated-people-may-still-be-able-to-spread-covid-19

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/health/covid-vaccinated-infected-wellness/index.html

The whole point of the jab is to prevent you getting Covid and the numbers suggest that is successful to a high percentage (95%). 

Incorrect.  The whole point of getting the jab is so you don't die from covid.  

Only 2 jabs is currently required

Correct.

There is a period (2 weeks) between inoculation and becoming immune.

Correct, although after becoming immune, you can still catch covid, and for that small window period, you can still spread covid to unvaccinated people, potentially killing them, or their contacts.  

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

Incorrect.  The whole point of getting the jab is so you don't die from covid.

Naïve and unresearched comment. 

AZD1222 demonstrated statistically significant vaccine efficacy of 78.9% in preventing symptomatic COVID-19