Car tyres on motorcycle?

crisp

Does anyone know the law/regulations regarding using car tyres on motorcycles in Thailand? Can they be used legally?

Just seen on YouTube, in the USA some are using Car tyres mainly on the rear of motorcycle as they “say” they last 4 times longer than motorcycle tyres & do not have too much adverse affect on handling? 

• Confused 1

I don't think it's worth it. If you want to have the longest lasting tire and don't care about performance, just put on some cruiser tires.

I'm not aware of any Thai law restricting which tires can be used on a motorcycle.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

We used them back in my younger days. Rear tire only, HD's

Many touring riders in N. America swear by them, but they are traveling on the superslab with next to no sharp, twisty corners.

If your application is the same they will be perfectly adequate, and 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a motorcycle tire along with 2 to 4 times the life.

A Win Win

Google has lots of topics, with examples.

• Like 1

If you read up on the interweb there is a school of thought that says they don't adversely effect cornering. Use them if you must on heavy cruiser bikes.  

Locals use bicycle tires on m/bikes! So we don't have to use purpose built tires.

12 hours ago, crisp said:

USA some are using Car tyres mainly on the rear of motorcycle as they “say” they last 4 times longer than motorcycle tyres & do not have too much adverse affect on handling? 

As said on big heavy bikes in US OK for some.

In Thailand you could do it.

Its not something I would do if you want higher mileage tyres use a touring tyre, Michelin were the best last I looked.

Touring tyre are even used on sports bikes for road wear and very little noticeable difference.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:46 AM, scubascuba3 said:

they look stupid

Don't just look stupid..... Car tyres on a motorcycle are stupid and downright dangerous for anything other than travelling in a straight line. If you cannot afford to buy motorcycle tyres for a big bike, then get a smaller, less expensive motorcycle which uses cheaper tyres.

Adequate tyres for the sub 150cc bikes most common in Thailand are so cheap that there is no reason to even consider other options.